Cisco 7960 with PnP

Alex Kasperavicius

Hi All -

I have a couple Cisco 7960 phones and would like to use the PnP functions to program them. In the wiki it seems to indicate that this is not possible and one must manually change the CFG files in the TFTP directory, which is what I', doing now. But in some other posts it seems like PnP is possible with a 7960.

In any case, I can't really get my head around how the PnP function works and wonder if anyone can describe the basics or point me to an overview. I can't find anything.

For example, I see the PBXnSIP is making configuration files, but they are not in the TFTP directory and I have no idea what would either trigger a move or redirect the phone to somehow get them. Also, they are xml and I don't think these 7960's support them.

In any case, if someone has made their Cisco 7960 phones auto configure using the PnP feature, would you mind posting how?

Thanks much,

Alex

Hi All -

I have a couple Cisco 7960 phones and would like to use the PnP functions to program them. In the wiki it seems to indicate that this is not possible and one must manually change the CFG files in the TFTP directory, which is what I', doing now. But in some other posts it seems like PnP is possible with a 7960.

In any case, I can't really get my head around how the PnP function works and wonder if anyone can describe the basics or point me to an overview. I can't find anything.

For example, I see the PBXnSIP is making configuration files, but they are not in the TFTP directory and I have no idea what would either trigger a move or redirect the phone to somehow get them. Also, they are xml and I don't think these 7960's support them.

In any case, if someone has made their Cisco 7960 phones auto configure using the PnP feature, would you mind posting how?

Thanks much,

Alex

We do have PnP support for CISCO 7960. Although we have not really re-tested it in the recent versions. We do require that CISCO firmware files be in the TFTP folder for any phone version upgrades.

If you can not get the PnP going with the 7960 for whatever reasons, you can follow the wiki to make it work in a semi-PnP fashion. BTW, 79x0 do not support xml. There are for 79x1 phones.

We do have PnP support for CISCO 7960. Although we have not really re-tested it in the recent versions. We do require that CISCO firmware files be in the TFTP folder for any phone version upgrades.

If you can not get the PnP going with the 7960 for whatever reasons, you can follow the wiki to make it work in a semi-PnP fashion. BTW, 79x0 do not support xml. There are for 79x1 phones.

That's good to hear, but I still don't understand how this works and the wiki page is pretty sparse: (http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Cisco) indicates that "You can register more lines by properly filling in the lineX_<parameters>" in the CFG file for the phone.

I guess maybe I'm assuming that you have a feature that will automatically add lines to the phone and/or dynamically modify the CFG file. Currently I am manually editing the CFG file for each phone - which seems silly. If I don't put a CFG file in the TFTP directory and just leave the CISCO files there, the phone remains unprovisioned.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks much,

A

That's good to hear, but I still don't understand how this works and the wiki page is pretty sparse: (http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Cisco) indicates that "You can register more lines by properly filling in the lineX_<parameters>" in the CFG file for the phone.

I guess maybe I'm assuming that you have a feature that will automatically add lines to the phone and/or dynamically modify the CFG file. Currently I am manually editing the CFG file for each phone - which seems silly. If I don't put a CFG file in the TFTP directory and just leave the CISCO files there, the phone remains unprovisioned.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks much,

A

Alright, I have a few more answers. In the log file I am seeing this:

[3] 2009/04/22 16:11:12: MAC 001562EA58FE already used in different domain <---

That's good news - BUT I only have one domain. So I have deleted all domains on this test system and recreated one from scratch. I also deleted old configuration files from the folder. - but no go.

How do I trigger PBXnSIP to create configuration files?

AK

Alright, I have a few more answers. In the log file I am seeing this:

[3] 2009/04/22 16:11:12: MAC 001562EA58FE already used in different domain <---

That's good news - BUT I only have one domain. So I have deleted all domains on this test system and recreated one from scratch. I also deleted old configuration files from the folder. - but no go.

How do I trigger PBXnSIP to create configuration files?

AK

So gave up and wiped & re-installed - now it works fine. PBXnSIP sees the request come in from the phone and dynamically generates the correct CFG file on the fly; Registering any extension containing the phone's MAC address in its record and adding them as lines on the phone in numerical order.

It seems that what I first did, putting my own configuration files in the TFTP directory, permanently broke the Plug and Play functionality and I had no way to restart it. After deleting the files from the TFTP directory I saw the requests coming in on the log file, but the PBX's response was that the requesting MAC was already being used in another domain (yet there was only one).

This really needs to be detailed in the Wiki as the ONLY method it mentions is copying the example config file on the wiki and dropping it in the TFTP folder. It doesn't mention plug and play *at all* -- If I have some time in the next few days Pradeep, I will send you a wiki markup file.

Alex

So gave up and wiped & re-installed - now it works fine. PBXnSIP sees the request come in from the phone and dynamically generates the correct CFG file on the fly; Registering any extension containing the phone's MAC address in its record and adding them as lines on the phone in numerical order.

It seems that what I first did, putting my own configuration files in the TFTP directory, permanently broke the Plug and Play functionality and I had no way to restart it. After deleting the files from the TFTP directory I saw the requests coming in on the log file, but the PBX's response was that the requesting MAC was already being used in another domain (yet there was only one).

This really needs to be detailed in the Wiki as the ONLY method it mentions is copying the example config file on the wiki and dropping it in the TFTP folder. It doesn't mention plug and play *at all* -- If I have some time in the next few days Pradeep, I will send you a wiki markup file.

Alex

Thanks Alex. I think we have to clarify in the wiki that one can use the config files shown in the wiki page if the PnP does not work for some reason. Please send the markup file to Pradeep and he will take care of the rest!