Paging using hosted system

luke4me1st

If there are 30 classroom phones located at a school and the admin makes annoucement over the 30 phones what happens? Does the phone make one multicast call that travels to hosted pbx back to school and then gets sent to all phones or will it make 30 calls to the hosted system and 30 calls back? I need to know this to determine bandwidth requirements. Additionally will multicast be counted as 1 cc call or 30 cc calls?

If there are 30 classroom phones located at a school and the admin makes annoucement over the 30 phones what happens? Does the phone make one multicast call that travels to hosted pbx back to school and then gets sent to all phones or will it make 30 calls to the hosted system and 30 calls back? I need to know this to determine bandwidth requirements. Additionally will multicast be counted as 1 cc call or 30 cc calls?

If you use multicast paging then there is no SIP calls involved to the destination phones. PBX will send the RTP to the multicast port. All the phohes that are listening on that multicast port will hear the announcement. If you setup the paging node as Unicast, then there will be 30 SIP calls made by the PBX (one to each of the 30 phones)

Hosted PBX and multicast are a problem, though not impossible. If the routers between the hosting company and the CPE router all suppotr multicast it is still possible (that was the original idea of the whole multicast project). Though today I would say not very practical.

As a rule of thumb I would say multicast requires a local PBX right now.