Change to three or four digit extension numbers

cpendl

I'm currently using the PBX (3.4.0.3201 (Darwin)) in the default configuration using two digit extensions. How do I change this to three or four digit dialing? Is it just a matter of editing the extension number in the accounts list in the domain? Do I need to change anything else?

Are there any numbers I should stay away from?

Thanks!

I'm not sure all the issues, but one will be if you have the phone set to dial after 3 digits automatically. (i always turn off autodialing--i just don't like it)

Also on the autoattendent you may need to change digits.

Those are two things I think of right off...probably more...

Matt

I'm currently using the PBX (3.4.0.3201 (Darwin)) in the default configuration using two digit extensions. How do I change this to three or four digit dialing? Is it just a matter of editing the extension number in the accounts list in the domain? Do I need to change anything else?

Are there any numbers I should stay away from?

Thanks!

There are couple of things you need to consider here.

• As you guessed, create 3 or 4 digit extensions/accounts.
  • Domain_>Settings:"Default PnP Dialplan Scheme:" - choose proper option from the drop-down, if you want the phone to automatically dial out. If you do not want the phone to automatically dial out, then use "user must press enter" option here.
  • Make all accounts the same length e.g., if you decide to do 3 digit extensions, make the AA also 3 digits.

Before making these changes, I would suggest to make a backup of the configuration (just in case if you need to refer back any data)

There are couple of things you need to consider here.

• As you guessed, create 3 or 4 digit extensions/accounts.
    Domain_>Settings:"Default PnP Dialplan Scheme:" - choose proper option from the drop-down, if you want the phone to automatically dial out. If you do not want the phone to automatically dial out, then use "user must press enter" option here.
    Make all accounts the same length e.g., if you decide to do 3 digit extensions, make the AA also 3 digits.

Before making these changes, I would suggest to make a backup of the configuration (just in case if you need to refer back any data)

Thanks! Should I stay away from any numbers that might interfere with other phone functions? Also, what's the best practices as far as where to start? Right now, the system starts with 40 for extensions. Can I start these there digit extensions at 100?

If you can, start extension numbers with 4. Then you still have 0, 1, 2, 3 for other options e.g. in the auto attendant. And keep 8 and 9 for other purposes (e.g. for leaving messages starting with 8 and outbound calls with 9, even if I don't like this). 7 is nice for other accounts, e.g. conference rooms, ACD & Co. So you should use 4-6 for regular extensions, thats 30 extensions when you are using 2 digits, or 300 if you are using 3 digits.