First part of word cutting out. Poor Audio

Tom Waterman

I was unsure where to post the audio quality issuse so I chose here. Please move it if needed.

We are currently having a great deal of audio quality issues since out change over to call Centric. One of the issues right now is that the first part of the word that someone speaks is cut off. I have checked and silence surpression is not on, on any of the phones. Could this be a codec issue? I have noticed that the PBX is set to use 1 codec and the phones (snome 320 & 820) are using a different one. I have QoS setup on the network as well. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

It is general problem when the media starts with 200 Ok that it takes some time to establish the session. This is the reaon why the PBX always (well almost always) uses 183 with SDP to establish the media channel ASAP. However, many SIP devices don't do it this way. I would say all VoIP phones don't send media while ringing. But usually that should be no problem.

The other thing that you can check is if there is a firewall in between. These things are always a source for trouble of this kind.

In the end, only a Wireshark trace will tell you what the problem is.

• 5 weeks later...
We are currently having a great deal of audio quality issues since our change over to call Centric. One of the issues right now is that the first part of the word that someone speaks is cut off.

CallCentric is a good provider but the people you're speaking to could be over a bad connection. My suggestion would be to connect your phone directly to CallCentric, by passing PBXnSIP all together to prove that point. If these calls your making are overseas you may want a provider that has a server in that location.