Crashes immediately

UKenGB

• 4 weeks later...

I have just wasted an entire day trying to get pbxnsip to install on Mac OS X 10.6.5 Server. When I finally came across this thread on the forum I was surprised (and relieved) to discover that I was not alone!

Clearly the Mac OS X build on the pbxnsip downloads page (pbxctrl-darwin9.0-4.2.0.3958) does not work for OS X 10.6.5 Server (the current version). When I replaced with the 3959 build it did work (subject to caveat below) - frustrating that this build is currently only to be found, buried away in a reply to this thread on the forum.

The caveat for me was that when I installed the .3959 build I hit another error (logged in pbx_startup_err.txt) - "FATAL: Could not open TCP port 389 for HTTP/HTTPS"

I searched the pbx.xml configuration file and found: <ip_ldap_port>389</ip_ldap_port>

I have no real idea what this is or what the implications of changing it are, but I changed 389 to 390 and finally got pbxnsip to start (30 frustrating hours after starting install!).

We are running a vanilla install of OS X 10.6.5 Server. We have been running pbxnsip for about 3 months and only hit these problems because for other reasons I had to do a complete reinstall of the OS. To avoid other poor souls having to go through all this, hopefully someone from snom/pbxnsip will read this and:

1) remove the .3958 build

2) replace with .3959 build and change the config file in the install package to avoid the ip_ldap_port problem.

3) as I've posted elsewhere on this forum the config file should also really default the ip_http_port to 81 or something other than 80 because I suspect that most OS X Server users will also be running the webserver which comes as a standard component of OS X Server and which takes port 80.

Spoke too soon!

The .3959 build has a snom ONE branded administration console and it appears to not allow any non snom phones (message in log is: "3rd party registration licenses exceeded (1 > 0)". We use Cisco phones so this build is no good for us nor anybody else in a mixed or non-snom environment. We have paid for a pbxnsip licence so can we please get this fixed urgently.

I have just wasted an entire day trying to get pbxnsip to install on Mac OS X 10.6.5 Server. When I finally came across this thread on the forum I was surprised (and relieved) to discover that I was not alone!

Clearly the Mac OS X build on the pbxnsip downloads page (pbxctrl-darwin9.0-4.2.0.3958) does not work for OS X 10.6.5 Server (the current version). When I replaced with the 3959 build it did work (subject to caveat below) - frustrating that this build is currently only to be found, buried away in a reply to this thread on the forum.

The caveat for me was that when I installed the .3959 build I hit another error (logged in pbx_startup_err.txt) - "FATAL: Could not open TCP port 389 for HTTP/HTTPS"

I searched the pbx.xml configuration file and found: <ip_ldap_port>389</ip_ldap_port>

I have no real idea what this is or what the implications of changing it are, but I changed 389 to 390 and finally got pbxnsip to start (30 frustrating hours after starting install!).

We are running a vanilla install of OS X 10.6.5 Server. We have been running pbxnsip for about 3 months and only hit these problems because for other reasons I had to do a complete reinstall of the OS. To avoid other poor souls having to go through all this, hopefully someone from snom/pbxnsip will read this and:

1) remove the .3958 build

2) replace with .3959 build and change the config file in the install package to avoid the ip_ldap_port problem.

3) as I've posted elsewhere on this forum the config file should also really default the ip_http_port to 81 or something other than 80 because I suspect that most OS X Server users will also be running the webserver which comes as a standard component of OS X Server and which takes port 80.

Spoke too soon!

The .3959 build has a snom ONE branded administration console and it appears to not allow any non snom phones (message in log is: "3rd party registration licenses exceeded (1 > 0)". We use Cisco phones so this build is no good for us nor anybody else in a mixed or non-snom environment. We have paid for a pbxnsip licence so can we please get this fixed urgently.

I agree that the installation is not as smooth as it should be. Leaving the HTTP and LDAP ports set at the standard is somewhat daft since it can prevent the PBX from starting at all. The information about this and how to fix it is available, if you search for it, but that shouldn't be necessary. I run ports 81 and 390 to avoid this issue, but why not make those the defaults, then at least it would start. If those are not ideal for you, you can then change them in the web interface. Just make sure that the install notes make it plain what is the default HTTP port.

There is of course the question of why the PBX wants to bind to the LDAP port anyway. It's not an LDAP server so it shouldn't be doing anything of the sort.

The free version of snomONE is restricted to 2 NON Snom registrations. I believe the next level up (paid for) raises that to 4. I guess the top level, no holds barred has no such limit, as is the case for the pbxnsip version. I have railed against this on the forums, but to no avail. I can see how they want to protect the market for their own hardware, but they don't even allow softphones, which is stupid as Snom don't make one themselves. But as I said, I can see why they don't want to provide a free PBX to use with their competitors phones and so I think you either need to find a different PBX, or pay for pbxnsip.

I agree that the installation is not as smooth as it should be. Leaving the HTTP and LDAP ports set at the standard is somewhat daft since it can prevent the PBX from starting at all. The information about this and how to fix it is available, if you search for it, but that shouldn't be necessary. I run ports 81 and 390 to avoid this issue, but why not make those the defaults, then at least it would start. If those are not ideal for you, you can then change them in the web interface. Just make sure that the install notes make it plain what is the default HTTP port.

There is of course the question of why the PBX wants to bind to the LDAP port anyway. It's not an LDAP server so it shouldn't be doing anything of the sort.

The free version of snomONE is restricted to 2 NON Snom registrations. I believe the next level up (paid for) raises that to 4. I guess the top level, no holds barred has no such limit, as is the case for the pbxnsip version. I have railed against this on the forums, but to no avail. I can see how they want to protect the market for their own hardware, but they don't even allow softphones, which is stupid as Snom don't make one themselves. But as I said, I can see why they don't want to provide a free PBX to use with their competitors phones and so I think you either need to find a different PBX, or pay for pbxnsip.

I have paid for pbxnsip, hence my request for a new build of the pbxnsip version (instead of the snom ONE version)!

I have paid for pbxnsip, hence my request for a new build of the pbxnsip version (instead of the snom ONE version)!

Then you should be Ok as when I complained about the snomONE restriction I was told in no uncertain terms that I should buy pbxnsip as that definitely has NO such restrictions.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the latest binary file (not the installer) - http://downloads.snom.net/snomONE/mac/pbxc...2011-4.2.0.3959.

Steps to follow (as root):

1. Stop the PBX (/Library/StartupItems/PBX/PBX stop), if it is running.

2. Download and copy above file to /Library/snomone

3. Apply the executable permission to this file (chmod a+x pbxctrl-darwin9.0-2011-4.2.0.3959)

4. Delete the pbxctrl-darwin9.0 link (rm pbxctrl-darwin9.0)

5. Recreate the link to the new binary (ln -s pbxctrl-darwin9.0-2011-4.2.0.3959 pbxctrl-darwin9.0)

6. Restart the PBX (/Library/StartupItems/PBX/PBX start)

BTW, PBX is working on a mac-mini (Darwin Kernel version 9.7.0 i386) even without this change. Also, we know that there are few customers running this on Mac for a while (not sure of their OS version though)

Hello there.

I'm also facing the crash problem on OSX Server 10.6.5 (all updates applied as of today, 31.12.2010).

I've gone through this thread, downloaded both 3959 and 3962 executables, tried both of them but *still* getting crashes!

Any help will be appreciated, but first I'd like to know which user is allowed to start/stop that PBX service: I'm actually using "sudo" for each command you wrote above...

Here some infos:

server:snomone admin$ cd /Library/snomone/

server:snomone admin$ ls -la

total 66912

drwxr-xr-x 10 admin staff 340 Dec 31 10:44 .

drwxrwxr-t+ 65 root admin 2210 Dec 31 09:55 ..

-rw-r--r--@ 1 admin staff 6148 Dec 31 09:26 .DS_Store

drwxr-xr-x 4 root staff 136 Dec 28 17:07 PBX

drwxrwxr-x 371 root admin 12614 Dec 31 10:15 audio_en

drwxrwxr-x 21 root admin 714 Dec 31 10:15 audio_moh

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root staff 33 Dec 31 10:44 pbxctrl-darwin9.0 -> pbxctrl-darwin9.0-2011-4.2.0.3962

-rwxrwxr-x 1 root admin 11405576 Oct 15 18:54 pbxctrl-darwin9.0-2011-4.2.0.3958

-rwxrwxr-x@ 1 root staff 11413996 Dec 31 10:41 pbxctrl-darwin9.0-2011-4.2.0.3959

-rwxrwxr-x@ 1 root staff 11422196 Dec 31 10:41 pbxctrl-darwin9.0-2011-4.2.0.3962

server:snomone admin$ sudo chmod a+x pbxctrl-darwin9.0-2011-4.2.0.3959

server:snomone admin$ rm pbxctrl-darwin9.0

server:snomone admin$ sudo ln -s pbxctrl-darwin9.0-2011-4.2.0.3959 pbxctrl-darwin9.0

server:snomone admin$ sudo /Library/StartupItems/PBX/PBX start

Starting the PBX Service

Changing to directory /Library/snomone

server:snomone admin$ /Library/StartupItems/PBX/PBX start

Starting the PBX Service

Changing to directory /Library/snomone

Attached is the crash report... pbxctrl-darwin9.0-2011-4.2.0.3959_2010-12-31-104720_server.crash.txt

Thanks in advance!!!

F.

Hello there.

I'm also facing the crash problem on OSX Server 10.6.5 (all updates applied as of today, 31.12.2010).

I've gone through this thread, downloaded both 3959 and 3962 executables, tried both of them but *still* getting crashes!

Any help will be appreciated, but first I'd like to know which user is allowed to start/stop that PBX service: I'm actually using "sudo" for each command you wrote above...

Have you set HTTP and LDAP away from the std. ports? If you haven't done that it WILL crash on startup. Just change them to ports NOT being used by OSX Server.

Have you set HTTP and LDAP away from the std. ports? If you haven't done that it WILL crash on startup. Just change them to ports NOT being used by OSX Server.

Great!

UKenGB, you saved my life! :)

It changed ports:

80-->90

443-->444

389-->390

Now it is *running*.

Thanks again!

I have to say that changing the ports is mentioned somewhere in the instructions, but it is not made sufficiently clear or even easy to do since you have to delve into pbx.xml which is inconveniently totally unformatted.

In fact, IMO they should supply it with a default setting that will work and then advise users to change them back to std. if that is what they need. At least with the PBX running this can be easily done via the web interface.

Still, glad I could help.

I have to say that changing the ports is mentioned somewhere in the instructions, but it is not made sufficiently clear or even easy to do since you have to delve into pbx.xml which is inconveniently totally unformatted.

In fact, IMO they should supply it with a default setting that will work and then advise users to change them back to std. if that is what they need. At least with the PBX running this can be easily done via the web interface.

Still, glad I could help.

Well, a thing that I'd like to see implemented is that during the installation process, some script detects which ports are in use and prompts for their change.

Cheers,

F.