multicast provisioning

mattlandis

Hello,

Am I missing something? I know this is part snom phone post and part snom ONE post. But since this is now one company i guess I can post this here! (benefit of integrated solution! ;-)

Does pbxnsip/snom one has a way to pnp provision which snom extensions are part of a multi-cast page?

For example I would like ext 40, 41, 42 to listen to, say, 224.1.1.2:4000.

and I would like 40,45,46 to listen for multicast 224.1.1.2:4001

I know i can log into each snom phone ;-), but is there a way to have this pnp provisioned? It seems quite hard to admin if there is not a way.

I would envision that in the multicast paging group there would be a "destination extensions" field that would send the info to pnp files. This may bring up the issue that there is no clear place to look to see pnp info for a specific handset/MAC (or is there?) as opposed to an extension, which is perhaps a seperate problem.

Another problem I can see is that someone could go hog wild and have one handset/MAC a part of more than 10 multi-cast...and how would snom ONE take care of that...hmm...maybe an error pop if an admin tries to save a multicast paging group that makes a handset/MAC be a part of more than 10 multi-cast IP addresses?

when a snom phone recieves a multicast page there is no indication on the recieving phone that it is getting a page? Shouldn't there be?

a last issue is that there appears to be no way to set the volume that the recieving snom phone plays a mutli-cast broadcast? It seems there should be a way to set the mutli-cast playback volume seperate from say phone volume or ringer volume. The default is far to loud.

thanks

matt

Hello,

Am I missing something? I know this is part snom phone post and part snom ONE post. But since this is now one company i guess I can post this here! (benefit of integrated solution! ;-)

Does pbxnsip/snom one has a way to pnp provision which snom extensions are part of a multi-cast page?

For example I would like ext 40, 41, 42 to listen to, say, 224.1.1.2:4000.

and I would like 40,45,46 to listen for multicast 224.1.1.2:4001

I know i can log into each snom phone ;-), but is there a way to have this pnp provisioned? It seems quite hard to admin if there is not a way.

I would envision that in the multicast paging group there would be a "destination extensions" field that would send the info to pnp files. This may bring up the issue that there is no clear place to look to see pnp info for a specific handset/MAC (or is there?) as opposed to an extension, which is perhaps a seperate problem.

Another problem I can see is that someone could go hog wild and have one handset/MAC a part of more than 10 multi-cast...and how would snom ONE take care of that...hmm...maybe an error pop if an admin tries to save a multicast paging group that makes a handset/MAC be a part of more than 10 multi-cast IP addresses?

when a snom phone recieves a multicast page there is no indication on the recieving phone that it is getting a page? Shouldn't there be?

a last issue is that there appears to be no way to set the volume that the recieving snom phone plays a mutli-cast broadcast? It seems there should be a way to set the mutli-cast playback volume seperate from say phone volume or ringer volume. The default is far to loud.

thanks

matt

#1 Good point and I think PBX is already setup to do that. PBX provisions the phone with the all multicast addresses up to a maximum of 10 (based on how many multicast paging groups that phone is part of).

#2 It should display the group name of the multicast page when the page arrives. Need to see if it is setup to beep also.

#3 Integrated solution will work on getting this taken care of :blink: