Best Practices for Migrating Domain Onto New SnomONE PBX

sudo

Im migrating our customers off an old pbxnsip box onto the latest snomone release. I have followed the export domain instructions here: http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php?title=Exporting_a_Domain

When I imported the .tar everything went well. All info transferred over like cell phone numbers, and even the trunks info.

Im wondering, what else is there that must be taken into account for the transition to be seamless. I want to be able to modify the CNAME record (pbx-domain.com) to point to the new server and have it connect.

What all needs to take place for this to happen? Will the export of the domain take care of everything? Are there more modification or data that needs to be pulled over from the old system?

Thanks in advance,

Sudo

I just tested this. I connected a Snom360 to the old pbxnsip box and exported the domain to the new snomone pbx.

I changed the CNAME to point to the new server and waited to the TTL to expire.

The phone is still connecting to the old pbx despite the DNS change.

I imagine this is because the config stored on the phone is pointing to the old pbx.

How do I fix this? I really want to get around re provisioning the phones.

The phones might stick to the old server until the registration fails. Only then they feel the need to look the DNS up again.

Apart from that for single domain moves, I would still prefer to make a backup of the working directory (excluding the executable) and restore it on the new server. This will really take everything, including DID but also the global settings that were made on the system.

The phones might stick to the old server until the registration fails. Only then they feel the need to look the DNS up again.

Apart from that for single domain moves, I would still prefer to make a backup of the working directory (excluding the executable) and restore it on the new server. This will really take everything, including DID but also the global settings that were made on the system.

How do you suggest I make the registration fail on the old server? I tried clearing that extensions registration, but it just connected again.

I bit the bullet and deleted the account off the old box, thinking the registration would fail and indeed it did. The phone now sits unregistered.

I have power cycled the phone.

The following has been verified via packet capture:

There is no traffic from the phone to the new pbx.

There are registration requests going to the old box and getting 404 not found back.

You could check-sync the phone from the old PBX web interface. A hard reboot (triggered by the user) also does the job.

How was the provisioning server for the phone setup? If that was done using the IP address, you will have to do it again (use a DNS name this time). Otherwise a change of the DNS name should do the trick.

I switched the CNAME to point back to the old server and registered a Polycom to the domain. I then changed the CNAME to point to the new server and rebooted the polycom. It worked like a charm. It grabbed the new firmware and registered to the new system.

Whats the deal with the Snom phones?

blink.gif If you provisioned the phones, the phones will likely use a IP address as outbound proxy. There is a (hidden) global settings in the PBX that controls this (provision_domain_name), but I guess it is too late for that. Anyway, you should be able to reboot the phones remotely and then they should start with the provisioning URL, which should be a DNS address and then fetch the settings from the new server.

blink.gif If you provisioned the phones, the phones will likely use a IP address as outbound proxy. There is a (hidden) global settings in the PBX that controls this (provision_domain_name), but I guess it is too late for that. Anyway, you should be able to reboot the phones remotely and then they should start with the provisioning URL, which should be a DNS address and then fetch the settings from the new server.

Its not too late for the hidden setting as this is a test domain and I still need to migrate several domains off. Could you elaborate a little more on the hidden setting?

Also. I reverted the cname back to the old pbx. Registered the snom360 to the old pbx. Changed the cname to point to the new pbx.

On the old pbx, I went to the WebUI's Accounts page and selected the extensions to reboot. I assume this is what you mean by reboot the phone remotely. In any case, it did not work. It connected to the old pbx again. :unsure:

Well it does not mean it is a secret... All it does use the domain name instead of the IP address of the server when provisioning devices. That affects for example the outbound proxy setting when provisioning snom phones. It cannot be default as most of the installations don't use DNS.

Can you check the log file of the phone after it rebooted? Then you can see what DNS addresses it is trying to resolve.