Staying on Auto Attendant with special keys

Vernon

Hello,

In the past i noticed that robots would call on to auto attendants and stay there indefinitely or until the system drops the call. To circumvent that i started designing all the PBX's with a hang up time-out.

This has worked well for a long time but i started noticing that the robots are able to stay on the auto-attendant for an hour before the system drops them. So i started doing my own little tests on how to bypass the hang-up time out.

If you consistently press * or # the auto-attendant will keep your call connected without dropping you. Now i know that you can technically force them to drop by creating a F input for the * press but there is no similar option to the #.

I can start implementing the F input in all auto-attendants but this might not work for attendants that are already using every single input option, and i would need two if to implement the #.

I'm wondering if there's any setting or configuration that i can apply to the auto-attendant in order to beat these robots. It's not practical to blacklist as everyday it will be a new number. This is mostly present on auto-attendants that have a toll free number attached to them.

Would it be possible to create some unconditional hang-up timeouts or maximum call duration on an auto-attendant?

Thank you for your time.

(Running version 5.2.5a)

Hmm. So people deliberately keep the call up, just to tease you?! What you could do is to redirect the call into an IVR node e.g. when F is detected, where you can "kill" the all easily after a timeout. If you send the call to a mailbox, it will also eventually turn off the call, because the mailbox recording duration is usually max two minutes.

Yeah the robots specifically target toll free numbers and sometimes they are attached to an auto-attendant as part of the call flow.

I was able to modify the IVR so that the * isn't treat as a special key and passed it off into an extension with a disabled mailbox. But the main issue is that the same cannot be done for the # symbol and will actually just force the auto-attendant to keep replaying it's message. Also i wasn't able to replicate the redirection with my cell phone (tested with iPhone 5s) but it worked on a snom phone.

So even if i get the * option to redirect with the fax tone detection i won't be able to do the same for # and i'm back to the same problem 1-2 months once the robots change up their strategy.

I am however assuming how the robots stay active within the auto-attendants but so far using * and # was the only way that i found on how to beat the redirection and hangup options available to me.

I know even if an uncondtional time-out is introduced into the auto-attendant it will not ultimately resolve the issue but it will minimize damage and make it a less lucrative avenue. When i introduced the hang-up timeouts it worked really well for a year and actually cut down on a lot of the spam calls.

If you have any other suggestions i would be more than happy to read them.

Thank you for your time.

Well we could work on allowing # also as non-special key. But the problem might go a lot deeper. If they just dial in, connect, hang up and repeat it (from a different DID) it will be really hard to turn them down. Is this what SPIT was all about? Ultimately it could become really hard to keep a toll-free number open, not only with our system but everywhere.

I agree that it's hard to combat SPIT, especially with the design of toll free numbers. I won't be able to eliminate it but i can hope to try and minimize it. When i introduced the hangup time-out on the auto attendants it had a really positive effect for about a year up until now that they found a way to bypass the hang-up timeout.

I think they use a rotating list of numbers and based on whatever metrics they gather they might single out numbers for repeat calling.

Even if they keep calling back once every couple of days/months the time-out or uncondtional hang-up press will minimize damage to a couple of cents a month instead of 20-30$. It also clears up lines faster, if a call stays on the attendant for the maximum call duration of one hour then that line is inaccessible for that hour.

Ultimately what i would like is an unconditional hang-up on an auto-attendant, button presses or not. Once the IVR message has played, timer runs for x amount of time and if no valid inputs have been used terminate the call.