GXP2000 Questions

Blinkers

The GXP2000 says it has 4 line indicators, does that mean that if you have more than 4 incoming lines you would only have access to 4 of them? Is it possible to program the rest of the indicator buttons to connect to more than 4 external lines?

I will be using a digium TDM403E with Echo Cancellation Module, how difficult is it to configure trixbox to display caller ID from those POTS lines on the GXP2000 (or GXP 2010, 2020) displays?

Thanks guys!

-Alan

The GXP2000 says it has 4 line indicators, does that mean that if you have more than 4 incoming lines you would only have access to 4 of them? Is it possible to program the rest of the indicator buttons to connect to more than 4 external lines?

I will be using a digium TDM403E with Echo Cancellation Module, how difficult is it to configure trixbox to display caller ID from those POTS lines on the GXP2000 (or GXP 2010, 2020) displays?

In SIP, the term "line" has a different meaning that in good old PSTN world. In principle you can have as many lines as you want. Usually the SIP phone has its own was of mapping phone calls to LED. This has the advantage that the above problem does not occur; however it is not the same behavior people had with the key system. If the first LED lights up on one phone, that might be the second on another phone.

If you want to use Digium Cards you must use Asterisk to talk to the card (Trixbox is built on top of Asterisk). As far as I know there is no SIP API available for Digium Cards yet.

In SIP, the term "line" has a different meaning that in good old PSTN world. In principle you can have as many lines as you want. Usually the SIP phone has its own was of mapping phone calls to LED. This has the advantage that the above problem does not occur; however it is not the same behavior people had with the key system. If the first LED lights up on one phone, that might be the second on another phone.

If you want to use Digium Cards you must use Asterisk to talk to the card (Trixbox is built on top of Asterisk). As far as I know there is no SIP API available for Digium Cards yet.

So is it a bad idea to use the Digium hardware with trixbox, or did I misunderstand you? So if I were to have a receptionist with an EXT module, could they have direct access to all the incoming POTS lines by mapping the lines to the keys? Thanks!

-Alan

So is it a bad idea to use the Digium hardware with trixbox, or did I misunderstand you?

Using Digium hardware with Trixbox is not a bad idea. If you want to use the Digium card with trixbox, Asterisk will work as PSTN gateway, just like other PSTN gateways (e.g. AudioCodes, Cisco, Mediatrix, Patton, Parlay, Vegastream, Welltech). Other vendors of PCI-cards offer a SIP API (Sangoma, Dialogic and I heared about Junghanns), so that you can use the PCI card in the same server where the PBX is running on Windows. Digium's only API (correct me if I am wrong) is Zaptel, and the only PBX supporting that is Asterisk. pbxnsip does not support Zaptel.

So if I were to have a receptionist with an EXT module, could they have direct access to all the incoming POTS lines by mapping the lines to the keys?

The problem remains the same, no matter how many keys you have. Grandstream uses the "BLF" (aka RFC 4235) standard, which does not permit a call pickup. In other words, the pbxnsip PBX can tell the phone that there is a call coming in, the phone might even be able to display a blinking LED, but when you press that key nothing happens. IMHO that is not usable.

We have specified a "buttons" package for Instant Messages that solves this problem. See http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Buttons for more information. However, Grandstream does not support this method. It is always good if customers asking for features, so maybe you should ask them.

I would just use the "private" lines one the phone (where the phone assigned the LED to calls itself). That is much easier and most customers think that is okay.

Using Digium hardware with Trixbox is not a bad idea. If you want to use the Digium card with trixbox, Asterisk will work as PSTN gateway, just like other PSTN gateways (e.g. AudioCodes, Cisco, Mediatrix, Patton, Parlay, Vegastream, Welltech). Other vendors of PCI-cards offer a SIP API (Sangoma, Dialogic and I heared about Junghanns), so that you can use the PCI card in the same server where the PBX is running on Windows. Digium's only API (correct me if I am wrong) is Zaptel, and the only PBX supporting that is Asterisk. pbxnsip does not support Zaptel.

The problem remains the same, no matter how many keys you have. Grandstream uses the "BLF" (aka RFC 4235) standard, which does not permit a call pickup. In other words, the pbxnsip PBX can tell the phone that there is a call coming in, the phone might even be able to display a blinking LED, but when you press that key nothing happens. IMHO that is not usable.

We have specified a "buttons" package for Instant Messages that solves this problem. See http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Buttons for more information. However, Grandstream does not support this method. It is always good if customers asking for features, so maybe you should ask them.

I would just use the "private" lines one the phone (where the phone assigned the LED to calls itself). That is much easier and most customers think that is okay.

What phones would you recommend instead of the grandstream? I think the polycom can handle a lot of lines, but they arn't quite as cost effective as the grandstream.