SnomONE admin password

YuL

We don't have a secret backdoor or anything like that. From the documentation:

How do I factory-reset the mini?
How to use the reset button

The reset button on the snom ONE serves two purposes: First of all, it is a way to reboot the system without disconnecting the power. In order to do, push the button (and release it quickly after the pushing). The LED on the box will start blinking fast and then after 4 seconds start rebooting. Secondly, you can use the button to factory reset the system. After pushing the button, wait until the LED starts blinking fast. During the fast blinking period (about 4 seconds), you have to push the button three more times. Then after the blinking is over, the system will detect that a factory reset is desired and execute it.

What the factory reset does

The factory reset performs only the following functions:

• It restores the default network configuration file and the default password file, which should give you access to the system in case you forgot it’s IP address or password.
  • It deletes the PBX configuration which is being stored in the working directory of the PBX. This includes mailbox messages, and possible recordings that you have on the system. This is necessary to avoid unauthorized access to the configuration data on the system.

If you perform other changes on the system, for example adding a VPN client, installing additional software etc, those changes will not be affected by a factory reset.

How to disable and change the factory reset and reboot

If you are a reseller and want to install the system for customers, it is often desirable to disable the factory reset function (e.g. because it is in publically available areas and offices). In order to do that, you need to log on the system on the SSH level, change the working directory to the working directory of the PBX (/usr/local/snomONE) and edit the reset-botton.sh file. In order to disable the factory reset or reboot functionality, just commend the respective commands out and you should be all set. You may also change the file, so that the reset button serves a different purpose or to determine what exact actions are being performed on a factory reset. At this point we would like to remind you that disabling the factory reset functionality will ultimately lock you out of the system if you should screw up the configuration or forget the login password. Because of this, we suggest this step only if must be concerned about unauthorized physical access to the system. Changing the reboot script is at your own risk.

It means you will loose the content of the PBX itself. This is similar to what other devices are doing.

If you want to keep your configuration, you don't need to contact the FBI or that security consulting company to unlock your mini. If you can access to the serial console on the device, you can go to the boot loader and use it to change the file system (which is not encrypted).

If you want to keep your configuration, you don't need to contact the FBI or that security consulting company to unlock your mini. If you can access to the serial console on the device, you can go to the boot loader and use it to change the file system (which is not encrypted).

Yes i want to keep my configuartion ... but i dont understand "f you can access to the serial console on the device, you can go to the boot loader and use it to change the file system (which is not encrypted)."

thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Yes i want to keep my configuartion ... but i dont understand "f you can access to the serial console on the device, you can go to the boot loader and use it to change the file system (which is not encrypted)."

Sorry just saw the post. In Linux you can log in on the "console" (which is a serial line, no Internet) and do things from there. Unless you have important data on the device it is not very practical and you better just factory reset the device.