Snom 320 auto provisioning Issue on PBX v5.5.0 (win3")

NISYST

10th November 2016

Hi,

I have been using the Snom 320 and Snom 370 phone on the SnonONE PBX v4 for the past 5 years nearly, and never had any issues. I have recently upgraded to v5.5.0 and have had more downtime in two weeks than in 5 years. Begs a question on the stability of v5.5.0

One issue I need to rectify urgently is the provisioning of the snom320, it is very hit and miss.

When I boot up the snom320, it recognises the IP from DHCP and then simply sits there scrolling "Provisioning in Progress". Even if I "Open Account for MAC based provisioning", it just does not provision. I NEVER had provisioning issues when using PBX v4. Now, if I move a phone from one office to another, I could lose half a day (if I'm lucky) on getting that phone working again.

I cannot seem to contact the paid support / maintenance I have, therefore I am hoping someone can assist on this forum to get me back up and running and try and help with the problem once and for all.

Phone firmware is: 8.7.3.25.9

One thing worth mentioning is that if I enter a mobile number in the redirection tab, then although the phone does not provision, anyone calling the extension gets redirected to the mobile.

I'd appreciate any help urgently - thanks in advance.

Dave Chunilal

Most phones today do the provisioning in the background, so that even if it should take an hour to figure out what configuration to use, the user would not be aware about it. Of course it does not take the PBX an hour or even 40 minutes to generate the configuration information on the fly, so there must be something else going on.

A couple of things that you can check quickly:

• Does the PBX put anything in the the "generated" folder for that extension?
  • Did you open up the extension up for provisioning on the PBX web interface (domain account overview) ?
  • Do you see any log messages in the PBX (TFTP and PnP log level set to 9)?

If there is no trace of the phone on the PBX, there is probably a problem with the phone finding the PBX. Here you can check:

• Did you set up the "settings URL" on the phone?
  • Are you using option 66 on your DHCP server?

What you can also do is to factory reset the phone, reboot and then you should find it in the PBX web interface for LAN provisioning phones, where you can assign it to a domain and to an extension.

Hi,

"Does the PBX put anything in the "generated" folder for that extension?" - There is a folder for this extension - "58" and there are a number of new and old txt and xml files.

"Did you open up the extension up for provisioning on the PBX web interface (domain account overview) ?" - Where is this setting so that I can check.

"Do you see any log messages in the PBX (TFTP and PnP log level set to 9)?" - After setting the TFTP and PnP log level to 9, I have checked the LogFile for the domain (under settings section after I select the domain) and there is nothing there when I click Reload. BUT bear in mind that if I associate a cell phone to this extension, then even through the phone is not provisioned, the cell phone still rings.

"Did you set up the "settings URL" on the phone?" - Yes - this is set to, "http://192.168.254.200/Prov/Snom320htm"

"Are you using option 66 on your DHCP server?" - The DHCP is set on our firewall and I have the MAC address for all phones statically assigned to IP addresses. When the phone is booted up, it recognises the MAC and obtains the IP address.

I'm not too sure factory resetting the phone will help. I did that on one of the phone, and I have the same problem with that also.

I hope the above helps.

Dave Chunilal

In the generated folder, there is a "history" file, that one shows you when what file was generated. If the PBX generated files after it was rebooted, then it is a good sign that the provisioning worked fine.

To open the phone up for provisioning (this is like "pairing" in WiFi) go into the domain, then click on extensions, select the extension that you would like to pair, and then select the open up option in the select box at the bottom right of the page.

The provisioning is not related to the cell phone. The question is if the phone was registered successfully; if not this might trigger calling the cell phone.

The seTinGs UrL iS cASe sEnSitIVe. Please just use "https://192.168.254.200"(or "http://192.168.254.200/prov/snom320.htm" see https://vodia.com/doc/pnp_snom).

The reason why the phones take a long time until they finally start working may be that they perform a software upgrade. If the Internet connection is slow or the phones cannot reach it all, that might be the reason why they are just sitting there.