IPV6 to IPV4 or IPV4 to IPV6

madyan

Hi,

I am using vodia 5.3.2 version. We have a situation here. We have two extensions 200 and 201. When I see in logs extension 200 is registered through IPV6 and when user call out there is no media (both sides) for incoming and outgoing calls. Extension 200 is registered through IPV4 and when this user call out everything works perfect. Is there any issue with Vodia when it send packet to IPV6?

The PBX supports "IP transcoding" for a long, long time. It should make no difference if one side uses IPv4 and the other IPv6. I would try to call the mailbox (just a single leg call) and leave a voicemail message, then try to retrieve it to make sure it was two-way audio; for both devices so that you can try to nail down where the problem is. PCAP generation should also work both for IPv4 and Ipv6 for the extension; for that it might make sense to move to the latest version so that you can benefit from that cool feature.

Actually the user using extension 200 is using port go phone on his Iphone. When he register portgo Logs told its coming through IPV6 and problem is with media. On the same phone if he install Zoiper it comes through IPV4 and it works fine. I am curious where the issue is? Obviously there is no issue with port go because I am using on my IOS and it works perfect. Obviously the issue is with IPV6. I've following test case.

test case 1:

2003 PortGo iPhone IPV4

2004 PortGo Windows IPV4

audio work fine

test case 2:

2003 PortGo iPhone IPV4

2004 Zoiper iPhone IPV4

audio work fine

test case 3:

2003 Zoiper iPhone IPV6 only

2004 Zoiper iPhone IPV4

2003 call to 2004 both side not audio, send rtp packet, not received packet.

2004 call to 2003 audio work fine

test case 4:

2003 PortGo iPhone IPV6 only

2004 Zoiper iPhone IPV4

test case 5:

2003 PortGo iPhone IPV6 only

2004 PortGo Windows IPV4

The thing is that when the PBX receives a call on IPv6 on SIP, it assumes that the RTP will also be on IPv6 (IMHO a reasonable assumption). What IPv6 address it advertises in the RTP depends on the routing table depends on the operating system. IPv6 usually has lots of addresses, maybe it picks the wrong one (e.g. link local when it should choose a globally routable). Anyway, a PCAP would easily show that.