Dial plan--removing non numeric characters

koolandrew

Hi, i have found that customers who are using softphones on their cell phones have issues with dialling through the pbx.

For example if the number is stored in their phone book, in any of the ways below, i cannot determine how to ignore or remove the non-numeric characters:

1(555)555-1212

or

555-555-1212

or

(555) 555 1212

If there are any type of bracket that they might have used in their phone book, i cannot figure out how to create a rule in the dial plan that ignores those characters.

Please help.

This is not a dial plan issue. The question is how to interpret the SIP packets, especially the request-URI coming from the soft phone. Do they contain those funny characters? Technically they are fine, and it is actually the job of the "user-agent" to take care about such things.

But it might make sense to add a flag or something saying this user, domain or system only process phone numbers and everything else should be taken out.

thanks for the reply.

I agree about the agent, but i would rather take care of it on the pbx or domain level.

I have no idea to implement your last line, could you please provide an example of such.I would like to leave the + alone though, as it is properly handled at the moment, just the other situations with ( ) and -.

Thanks

I am very surprised that this cannot be resolved. The last response is no help. So i would send out an email, hey customers please remove () and - from your phone numbers in your phone book. Even though it has been working in your phone, it will no longer work when using your pbx........................come on.................

The thing is if we add that to the PBX itself, we should make it a settings at least on system level. Who knows, maybe there are people who want to dial spaces and brackets. But I think as a default the characters space, dash, brackets and dot should be removed. We'll put that into the next build.

People do it out of habit, or they copied and pasted, and it is certainly easier to read than all numbers. However, these all do need to removed, as you already remove spaces by default...

You need to leave the + alone, as removing it will work when it is +15555551212 but doesnt work if is +442075551212, as i dont believe there is a standard to the amount of digits that follow a country code, and now we have 3 digit country codes, so that is best left to handled in the dial plan.

Either way, it works when calling from their phone using the native phone dialler but wont work when using a sip dilaller if they are calling from their phone book.

thx

• 2 years later...
2 minutes ago, koolandrew said:

The first one works...............hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's good! We asked you to try that yesterday itself. Not sure what happened there.

3 minutes ago, koolandrew said:

What exactly do you mean? Send a screenshot or some logs maybe to quickly understand this?

i mean it doesnt work...the number dialled +442070046000 becomes 011 when it is goes to the carrier.

In any event, i have unlocked this mystery. The one topic not discussed was the order of the dial plans as the order screwed it up. I had to put in the +1* rule at the top...and voila it worked. Regarding the other one, i figured it out as it is is simply +* and again, it has to stay in that order for it to work.

thanks

image.png

The dial plan pattern normally does not use the +-form. It uses the form in which a human would read the number—for NANPA this is just the 10-digit number and for international numbers, its 011xxx. 

(2-9) is not a valid pattern. Do you mean [0-9]? BTW if the pattern (priority number 30) matches the plan will stop there. That means you don't need to make that exception in the line 40. You can probably just use * for "everything else". Or you could use the pattern [2-9]xxxxxxxxx.