PAGING TO LARGE AMOUNT OF USERS

Friedom-Tech

Hi;

i have an offic with approx 90 users...what is the best way to setup the paging and how do i go about it?

i currently have them set on UNICAST but recently when i hit the extension number it just gives a fast beeping sound...i look in the logfile and it says it cannot find the extension but then says that paging would cause too many active calls so im guessing i have to go to multicast.

is there any easy way to set this up? my phones and server are using an ip address of 10.0.10.XX

i have an offic with approx 90 users...what is the best way to setup the paging and how do i go about it?

i currently have them set on UNICAST but recently when i hit the extension number it just gives a fast beeping sound...i look in the logfile and it says it cannot find the extension but then says that paging would cause too many active calls so im guessing i have to go to multicast.

is there any easy way to set this up? my phones and server are using an ip address of 10.0.10.XX

Unicast is not a good idea with 90 users. You can use the multicast mode which sends the RTP to a IP address/port without sending out INVITE packets. If that IP address is a multicast address (starting with 224.x.x.x), interested devices can play it back. snom phones do that and if you use Plug and Play then they are automatically set up for the first multicast paging group in their domain.

Unicast is not a good idea with 90 users. You can use the multicast mode which sends the RTP to a IP address/port without sending out INVITE packets. If that IP address is a multicast address (starting with 224.x.x.x), interested devices can play it back. snom phones do that and if you use Plug and Play then they are automatically set up for the first multicast paging group in their domain.

i am using Polycom phones....so in the address field what ip address do i put there? sorry but the concept is new to me...

i am using Polycom phones....so in the address field what ip address do i put there? sorry but the concept is new to me...

can someone please help me set this up...this client needs the paging urgently but i cannot use unicast as there are too many users.

please advise asap. i am using Polycom phones and need to know which multicast address to put into the system.

PLEASE HELP.

thank you;

can someone please help me set this up...this client needs the paging urgently but i cannot use unicast as there are too many users.

please advise asap. i am using Polycom phones and need to know which multicast address to put into the system.

PLEASE HELP.

thank you;

You would put in the same address and port, that you put in the PBX multicast. see http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Paging

You would put in the same address and port, that you put in the PBX multicast. see http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Paging

Actually i spoke to Polycom who advised me that Multicast paging is not currently offered with Polycom phones. they say that it is in the plans though as many people have apparently requested it.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Please read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_multicast

Your ISP would need to assign you multicast addresses, otherwise it can only work on your LAN or VPN, the multicast traffic does not route all over the internet.

You also need to make sure your switches and routers have multicast enabled.

Have not tried this, but couldn't you specify a PUBLIC IP:port in the multicast setting? then on that router takes that publicIP:port and turns it into a local multicast?

• 2 months later...
Hi;

Multicast for snom phone

create a paging account

on the destination add 224.1.2.3:12345 this is just a random port I used

save the changes.

on the snom phone go to advance /RTP

1 Scroll down to Mulricast

2 add the multicast range 224.1.2.3:12345 so the phones will listen. This has to be done on all the phones but its also by preference.

reboot snom phone

press feature code *90 and should page phones associated with the above ip.

In 3.4, please check the Extension's "Permissions" tab/page. We have added some controls over there. Also, if you have multiple registrations, then the intercom is not support.