Redirection to cell phone doesn't work with a hunt group

James Mahood

Setup:

1. The extension has the cell phone field filled in on the redirection page. It is set to ring immediatly.

2. The extension is in a hunt group.

3. A trunk rings the hunt group.

Results:

The cell phone doesn't ring on calls coming in on the trunk.

Other:

The cell phone does ring if the extension is called directly or if only that extension is in the trunk "send calls to" field.

Trying to trick the "send calls to" field by putting an extension and a hunt group in doesn't work with various bad behaviors.

It would be nice if the "send calls to" field had some error checking to report illegal entries rather than just not work properly.

Setup:

1. The extension has the cell phone field filled in on the redirection page. It is set to ring immediatly.

2. The extension is in a hunt group.

3. A trunk rings the hunt group.

Results:

The cell phone doesn't ring on calls coming in on the trunk.

Other:

The cell phone does ring if the extension is called directly or if only that extension is in the trunk "send calls to" field.

Trying to trick the "send calls to" field by putting an extension and a hunt group in doesn't work with various bad behaviors.

It would be nice if the "send calls to" field had some error checking to report illegal entries rather than just not work properly.

I believe 'redirection to cell phone with a hunt group' is not supported at this moment. Probably we can add the error check.

• 5 weeks later...

If you go into the Registrar page you can add a contact number at the bottom of the page.

information would be something like

sip:5557271111@IPAddressOfRegistrar

This then makes the system think the cell phone is a registered extension and calls it at the same time it calls the IP Phone. Plus it works in a Hunt group.

Each outgoing call to a cell phone uses a trunk, once one cell phone or IP phone is connected the other trunks are released.

This feature works on version 2 of pbxnsip. Not so sure about 3+.

If you go into the Registrar page you can add a contact number at the bottom of the page.

information would be something like

sip:5557271111@IPAddressOfRegistrar

This then makes the system think the cell phone is a registered extension and calls it at the same time it calls the IP Phone. Plus it works in a Hunt group.

Each outgoing call to a cell phone uses a trunk, once one cell phone or IP phone is connected the other trunks are released.

This feature works on version 2 of pbxnsip. Not so sure about 3+.

For me in 3.2 is does not...

• 2 months later...

I couldn't get this trick to work with version 3.0 or 3.3.

I tried another trick that didn't work. Have a second PBXnSIP register a trunk to an extension on the primary PBXnSIP. Then have that trunk ring one extension with a cell phone defined on the Redirection tab. This also gets "INVITE response 404 Not Found" errors when it tries to redirect. Putting a cell phone number in the Call forward all calls to: field also doesn't work.

Cell phone redirection only works when you place an intercom call from one extension to another extension that has the cell phone defined. If the call originates outside redirection doesn't work.

• 1 month later...
This really is a "must have" for us. Hope this is available soon! :)

We have put it into the latest code. Send an email to support@pbxnsip.com and mention your operating system. Then we'll give you a snapshot of the latest version ("leading edge"). We like to get some feedback on this before we make it generally available.

Two issues... one a possible bug, and two a suggestion for extending the functionality of the hunt group cell phone setup.

This function half works for me in beta version 4.0.0.3204. An incoming call triggers the hunt group, and the associated desk phones/extensions ring like usual (good). The pbx calls the cell phone assigned also (good). However, the caller side continues to ring because the call is not being picked up by the pbx in any way (could be good or bad depending on call handling method). When the cell phone is answered, there is nothing but dead air, and the caller continues to ring and so do the other extensions in the hunt group (BAD). When the cell phone is answered the incoming caller should be connected, but instead it just continues ringing. If an extension answers the phone, everything is just like normal (good).

Additionally, since this feature functions as a "find me" type feature, there should really be a time period option that can be selected to determine how long the pbx should wait before calling the cell phone (similar to the way the pbx already handles the extension specific "forward on no answer" function). Local extensions in the hunt group should have a chance to pick up the call first IF that is how the admin wants to set it up. The cell phone should be not just an extension but a "failover" for no answer by the hunt group.

Scenario:

There exists a busy support department (hunt group), and they must leave their desks quite often to address various issues in the field. Sometimes no one is there to answer hunt group calls at their desk, but it is VERY important that someone in their department does answer the call. They don't want ALL calls through the hunt group to ring their cell phones, but they do want them to ring them if no one answers within, for example, 20 seconds. This is the REAL VALUE in having cell phones included in the hunt groups.

pbx support -

CS410 version. Single hunt group with incoming calls on 4 line sip trunk coming directly into hunt group (no AA). Calls are not "answered" by system until someone in hunt group picks up the call. Also single PSTN line on FXO port 1. Both the PSTN trunk and the sip trunk behave the same. Very basic setup.

pbx support -

CS410 version. Single hunt group with incoming calls on 4 line sip trunk coming directly into hunt group (no AA). Calls are not "answered" by system until someone in hunt group picks up the call. Also single PSTN line on FXO port 1. Both the PSTN trunk and the sip trunk behave the same. Very basic setup.

I was able to reproduce it as follows:

Call in to phone system, enter the extension number, system calls cell phone, system plays caller ID announcement to cell phone. If you hang up cell phone, it disconnects the caller rather than sending him to voicemail. If I press 1 it does connect the call.

Kellenw, you may need to increase the amount of seconds till the mailbox picks up.

Kellenw, you may need to increase the amount of seconds till the mailbox picks up.

Yea, that seems to be a common problem when using the cell phone forking. Maybe we need to disable the mailbox pickup until the PBX has played back the annoucement to pick up the call plus two seconds.

Yea, that seems to be a common problem when using the cell phone forking. Maybe we need to disable the mailbox pickup until the PBX has played back the annoucement to pick up the call plus two seconds.

We did some testing here in the lab and there was no dead air issue. So, could you please PM to support@pbxnsip.com with the SIP log (and if you have wireshark trace, that will be good too)

My issue is a little different than shopcomputer's.

Caller calls into system. Hunt group phones ring. Cell phone rings. If you answer cell phone, you get dead air... no connection to caller and caller's phone still continues to get ringing because system has not answered their call. If the snom hunt group phones pick up, all is normal.

Simply put, the call isn't being connected to the cell phone when the cell phone is placed in the hunt group.

I am testing Version: 4.0.0.3204 (Win32) which doesn't quite do simultanious ring to a mobile.

1. If set to “press 1 to connect” the incoming call will ring the mobile once then drop the call to the mobile. The other extension continue to ring as they should.

2. If set to “no confirmation required” the incoming call is answered then forwarded to the mobile. The other extensions stop ringing which they shouldn’t. It is doing a call forward not simultaneous ring.

3. The same behavior occurs if the extension is in a hunt group.

4. Internal calls work it is only outside calls that don't work.

My trunk is registered to PBXnSIP version 3.

I am testing Version: 4.0.0.3204 (Win32) which doesn't quite do simultanious ring to a mobile.

1. If set to "press 1 to connect" the incoming call will ring the mobile once then drop the call to the mobile. The other extension continue to ring as they should.

2. If set to "no confirmation required" the incoming call is answered then forwarded to the mobile. The other extensions stop ringing which they shouldn't. It is doing a call forward not simultaneous ring.

3. The same behavior occurs if the extension is in a hunt group.

4. Internal calls work it is only outside calls that don't work.

My trunk is registered to PBXnSIP version 3.

There are two new flags in the redirection settings for an extension that control if the hunt and agent group should include the cell phone. Did you turn them on?

And the latest beta is 4.0.0.3211. Maybe you can ask for a latest build.

There are two new flags in the redirection settings for an extension that control if the hunt and agent group should include the cell phone. Did you turn them on?

And the latest beta is 4.0.0.3211. Maybe you can ask for a latest build.

I have tried all combinations of those flags and the outside call is still answered on the first ring, all the other extensions stop ringing, then the mobile rings. I will request new newer version.

I have tried all combinations of those flags and the outside call is still answered on the first ring, all the other extensions stop ringing, then the mobile rings. I will request new newer version.

when you call the mobile is there an option to press 1 to accept the call?

Version 4.0.0.3212 simultanious rining of a mobile when calling from outside the PBX still doesn't work.. Inside calls work fine. All combinations of hunt and agent group settings still don’t work. With no confirmation the call is answered then forwarded to the mobile. The other extensions stop ringing. Press 1 to connect rings the mobile once then drops the call to the mobile.

Version 4.0.0.3212 simultanious rining of a mobile when calling from outside the PBX still doesn't work.. Inside calls work fine. All combinations of hunt and agent group settings still don't work. With no confirmation the call is answered then forwarded to the mobile. The other extensions stop ringing. Press 1 to connect rings the mobile once then drops the call to the mobile.

Maybe the problem is not so much the cell phone, it is the redirection. The PBX probably presents the original caller-ID and the trunk provider rejects it.