Can I have my custom favicon?

ndemou

I'd like to change the favicon displayed for the web pages of pbxnsip. Is there a way to change the default one?

You can put your own into the html directory (call it "favicon.ico"). But beware - the browser stays with the old one, even if you press F5. At least IE seems to keep it for a long long time.

You can put your own into the html directory (call it "favicon.ico").

Thanks for the suggestion but I have tried that with no success. I did some tests however and maybe I have a clue about why it's not working. I think that pbxnsip is not serving /favicon.ico except after a successful login. According to wikipedia browsers try to fetch favicon.ico before the user has the chance to login (except MAYBE if the favicon is properly referenced in the html of the page but this doesn't seem to be the case with pbxnsip). If the first attempt fails then they don't try again (at least not until restart of the browser).

Here is what you can do to test it yourselves:

0) place a favicon.ico on some pbxnsip installation

1) Open a browser on a PC that has never visited the pbxnsip installation you'll test with (or trust that you can clear every byte your browser keeps cached)

2) try to open pbxnsip-host-name:8080/favicon.ico -- you should not see the favicon.ico saved in /html

3) login to pbxnsip -- (the favicon should not show up next to the url in your address bar)

4) retry to open pbxnsip-host-name:8080/favicon.ico -- you should now see the favicon.ico saved in /html

BTW I've seen the same "bugy" behavior with images embedded in the emails pbxnsip sends to it's users (e.g. emails about missed calls have a link to /img/save.gif which does not display unless the user is loged in)

Thanks for the suggestion but I have tried that with no success. I did some tests however and maybe I have a clue about why it's not working. I think that pbxnsip is not serving /favicon.ico except after a successful login. According to wikipedia browsers try to fetch favicon.ico before the user has the chance to login (except MAYBE if the favicon is properly referenced in the html of the page but this doesn't seem to be the case with pbxnsip). If the first attempt fails then they don't try again (at least not until restart of the browser).

Here is what you can do to test it yourselves:

0) place a favicon.ico on some pbxnsip installation

1) Open a browser on a PC that has never visited the pbxnsip installation you'll test with (or trust that you can clear every byte your browser keeps cached)

2) try to open pbxnsip-host-name:8080/favicon.ico -- you should not see the favicon.ico saved in /html

3) login to pbxnsip -- (the favicon should not show up next to the url in your address bar)

4) retry to open pbxnsip-host-name:8080/favicon.ico -- you should now see the favicon.ico saved in /html

BTW I've seen the same "bugy" behavior with images embedded in the emails pbxnsip sends to it's users (e.g. emails about missed calls have a link to /img/save.gif which does not display unless the user is loged in)

Hmm. During the login session we are allowing certain extensions to be loaded ("jpg css gif js"). "ico" was not on that list. I guess that was the mistake. We add that to the list, next version will have it.

• 4 weeks later...
we are allowing certain extensions to be loaded ("jpg css gif js") [without requiring a login]. ... We added [.ico] to the list, next version will have it.

Can you do the same for .txt?

I'm asking because like some others[1] I had to move my pbxnsip to port 80[2] and now I'd like to place a robots.txt instructing google and other robots to stay away.

By the way, I did a quick test and .ico seems not to be allowed in v3.3.1.3177 but I'm not sure if the "fix" was supposed to be in this version or the next.

[1] http://www.google.gr/search?q=%22informati...50&filter=0

[2] some clients were having strict clients that blocked 8080 -- most not techies feel uneasy when you ask them to open a port in their firewall

Can you do the same for .txt?

I'm asking because like some others[1] I had to move my pbxnsip to port 80[2] and now I'd like to place a robots.txt instructing google and other robots to stay away.

By the way, I did a quick test and .ico seems not to be allowed in v3.3.1.3177 but I'm not sure if the "fix" was supposed to be in this version or the next.

[1] http://www.google.gr/search?q=%22informati...50&filter=0

[2] some clients were having strict clients that blocked 8080 -- most not techies feel uneasy when you ask them to open a port in their firewall

Funny... Maybe it helps to increase our position in the google ranking :rolleyes: !

Maybe we should just include the robots.txt in the default deployment. Do you have by chance something that we can put in there?

I'd like to change the favicon displayed for the web pages of pbxnsip. Is there a way to change the default one?

from your index.html,u find out a text into html tag almost like this <a href=".../.../favicon.jpg"> .from this,just change

the new favicon file name and in your images folder,paste the new one and then verify this.it will work.

Funny... Maybe it helps to increase our position in the google ranking :rolleyes: !

:)

Maybe we should just include the robots.txt in the default deployment. Do you have by chance something that we can put in there?

I replied a few days ago via email but to keep the thread complete here is my answer again:

I was going to use this simple "stay out" robots.txt based on [1]:

User-agent: *

Disallow: /

[1] http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/b...py?answer=35302