2 PBX servers for Redundancy

Tom Waterman

I had spoke with Kevin onsite about having a failover setup. One PBX would be the primary and somehow keep insync with the second. So if the first server goes down the secondary server would failover automatically. Can you tell me if this has been achieved and how?

Tom

I had spoke with Kevin onsite about having a failover setup. One PBX would be the primary and somehow keep insync with the second. So if the first server goes down the secondary server would failover automatically. Can you tell me if this has been achieved and how?

Tom

I have been asking for this for months. Don't think it's possible nor something they're focusing on. But I'm curious to see what they say.

There are several ways to do this.

The first way is to use two servers that use rsync to replicate the data from the active to the standby and which use a "virtual" IP address. That seems to be fine for cases where the failover can take a minute or two.

The other way is to run the PBX in a virtual machine and let the virtualization software take care about the redundancy. This can failover (depending on the VM) within a few ms and you would just hear a short click when it fails over.

Needless to say, the first one can be done with two Linux machines relatively easy. Kevin can get you the necessary shell scripts that do the job. The second one requires some serious investments into the virtualization environment. Plus you should run only one VM on a physical CPU in order to avoid jitter.

• 2 months later...