paging

hosted

I have not tried, but i am just wondering if multicast is possible in a hosted enviroment.

Seeing how the hosted box is remote there is no way to route the multi-cast page to the phones.

or do the phones locally create the multicast page? not sure how this works.

I suppose if the multicast came from the hosted box you could specify a port through the customers firewall.

• 10 months later...
I have not tried, but i am just wondering if multicast is possible in a hosted enviroment.

Seeing how the hosted box is remote there is no way to route the multi-cast page to the phones.

or do the phones locally create the multicast page? not sure how this works.

I suppose if the multicast came from the hosted box you could specify a port through the customers firewall.

Paging with multicast is currently a no-go. I don't know any deployment where multicast packets would be sent into remote locations.

What might make sense is to send the paging to a unicast address which then gets routed to a multicast address in the CPE LAN. Not sure if that would require an application running on CPE, or a tricky router setup could achieve this as well.