Multiple Domains with same extension

Worm78

Just curious,

Can you have multiple domains on one server with the same extensions on each domain on the same physical network? I would assume each will needs it own trunk in its own domain. My main stump would be when registering my sip phones how will it know the difference between user 301 on one domain and user 301 on the other. I have multiple DID numbers currently with one domain and one trunk. All users in one big phone system. I'm assuming I can take DID A and send to ACD for domain A. Then setup trunk on domain B and send it to ACD B.

Essentially running 4 small companies on one 50 user PBX.

Registering:

I'm thinking use Domain name where Registar is and outbound proxy as IP of server.

My main concern is how to take a DID to the correct trunk. or how will provider (Currently using Broadvox) look at multiple connections coming in.

Version: 3.1.1.3110 (Win32) Snom 300 and 320's

Quick update, I was tinkering and added a test domain, setup an extension unused by the other domain and attempted to setup the broadvox trunk. Added IP of box in the exact way as the other trunk currently in use on my original domain. It has been a while since I set it up but I think there is no login and pass it just uses our IP/MAC . I just need to figure out where to put the DID number to get it to go the correct domain/ext.

I did get the other extension with the same extension number used in another domain working with the method listed above using domain name in the registar field. Works great.

This is a complex topic. But yes you can.

The domain name "localhost" is used as a wildcard to match all (remaining) domain names. So it you want to have multiple domains, you might have to give up that domain name. That also means that the SIP phones must use the exact domain name (string must match). You cannot address the domain with the IP address string, obviously.

On the trunk side, you can have trunks in each domain. That is another complex topic. But you can also have global trunks in a dummy domain that can be used in all dial plans of the domains. You can even have global dial plans.

I currently have the localhost domain setup with 30 users. 15 are leaving I have 5 new coming in to each of the 3 new domains. Those are setup and working as well internally. I think from what you are saying I will need to rename the localhost domain, let call it A. Then go to each of the 15 phones and add the domain name in the reg field. No biggy since this is on a small scale and all local.

My main concern is then the trunk settings. I will set all to non-global. Trunk A will use its current audiocode with copper coming in for that domain. It is working fine and set to the localhost right now.

I have domain B with a trunk from Teliax. I'm working on setting it up now as it is moving from another public IP. i just need to call Teliax and update this info to register. This should be easy enough. My concern is I have domain C and D both with numbers on the same account from broadvox. Is there a field in the trunk settings I use to let broadvox or the pbx know which number to bring into that domain? I have reached out to Broadvox to see if they send the number in the sip header or if this is something we need to request. I'm guessing they do.

123-456-1111 to one domain and 123-456-2222 to other domain?

My main concern is then the trunk settings. I will set all to non-global. Trunk A will use its current audiocode with copper coming in for that domain. It is working fine and set to the localhost right now.

I have domain B with a trunk from Teliax. I'm working on setting it up now as it is moving from another public IP. i just need to call Teliax and update this info to register. This should be easy enough. My concern is I have domain C and D both with numbers on the same account from broadvox. Is there a field in the trunk settings I use to let broadvox or the pbx know which number to bring into that domain? I have reached out to Broadvox to see if they send the number in the sip header or if this is something we need to request. I'm guessing they do.

123-456-1111 to one domain and 123-456-2222 to other domain?

Right. If you have a global trunk, it is able to switch the domain if it finds the telephone number in another domain and send the call there. Make sure that the number has 10 digits, so that the PBX can detect that this is a telephone number. You can also write the telephone number starting with a "+", for example "+19787462777" for (978)747-2777.

I did not plan to have a global trunk. Maybe I need to. My thought was have two domains with their own trunks. In the trunk settings of each domain have the same info for Broadvox in both, Only have something sending the correct DID to the correct trunk / Attendant Extension. If I can do this what field would I put the phone number in on trunk settings. Currently they are both setup and work outgoing only. I have not renamed my localhost at this point if that matters. All incoming calls go to local host trunk.

Should I use one trunk in domain A and then set it to global and send DID to proper domain attendants globally. If so where would the DID from Domain A's trunk go in the auto attendant of each domain?

Diagram below...

Current

Domain A (currently named localhost), has audio codes(DID Z) and broadvox trunk using DID X or Y. This domain only needs audiocodes GW DID Z

Domain B has broadvox trunk, outbound only currently, needs DID X to roll to attendant in domain B

Domain C has broadvox trunk, outbound only currently, needs DID Y to roll to attendant in domain C

Domain D has Teliax trunk that is working.

I have 2 numbers from Broadvox

If you are offering the service I would not allow customers to change or even see the trunks; not even the dial plans. As a rule of thumb: If your trunk can send out any ANI number in your system; make it global. If you need to register the trunk for each DID, make it a domain trunk.

If BroadVox uses the IP address to identify the host, then you can only have one trunk. The problem then will be if they accept several ANI numbers; they have to! Otherwise you could have only one ANI per system. That would limit their revenue potential and they will fix this very quickly!

If you are offering the service I would not allow customers to change or even see the trunks; not even the dial plans. As a rule of thumb: If your trunk can send out any ANI number in your system; make it global. If you need to register the trunk for each DID, make it a domain trunk.

If BroadVox uses the IP address to identify the host, then you can only have one trunk. The problem then will be if they accept several ANI numbers; they have to! Otherwise you could have only one ANI per system. That would limit their revenue potential and they will fix this very quickly!

I have it setup as listed above in the a b c d scenario and all seems to be working. No trunks are global. Each trunk has its own DID. In use by the users now. Hoping for no issues.