PSTN Trunk

Friedom-Tech

Modem are not a pstn gateway and no way to make them do that. (i've checked ;-)

I can see no reason why a modem could not be used as a PSTN gateway. They are specifically designed to get the PSTN audio stream into the computer. The only problem is the lack of drivers to 'connect' it to the PBX. I am VERY keen to look into the possibility of using Apple's external USB modem as a PSTN gateway into a Mac. The problem is - no driver.

I am not the only one to take this view. There is another Mac PBX project called Afelio and its developers make specific mention of their intention to do this.

Here is an interesting little device that i would say would have more hope:

http://sangoma.com/products/hardware_produ...ny/usb_fxo.html

but only for asterisk at moment i think.

matt

Now that DOES look interesting. But again, it needs a driver, however, I'd say there's more chance of this than for e.g. Apple's USB modem, plus it is exactly made for the job which is never a bad thing.

A USB connected FXO gateway seems like an ideal solution.

Good find.

I am VERY keen to look into the possibility of using Apple's external USB modem as a PSTN gateway into a Mac. The problem is - no driver.

AFAIK only Sangoma tried to make a USB to FXO adapter yet. It seems to be very problematic because USB does support a syncronous mode; however this is a non-mainstream mode in the USB driver and therefore difficult to get working. The problem is the driver, not the hardware.

Thats why everybody stays with PCI or stand-alone FXO gateways where you have full control over everything (even analog problems like noise).

AFAIK only Sangoma tried to make a USB to FXO adapter yet. It seems to be very problematic because USB does support a syncronous mode; however this is a non-mainstream mode in the USB driver and therefore difficult to get working. The problem is the driver, not the hardware.

Thats why everybody stays with PCI or stand-alone FXO gateways where you have full control over everything (even analog problems like noise).

Any chance Snom/pbxnsip would create a driver for the Sangoma adapter? It would be such a useful device.

I must look into that, but how would it work? How would you direct the PBX to connect with SIP over USB?

You actually talk SIP to a local IP address (typically 127.0.0.1) and the RTP also flows locally. Looks a little bit odd at first sight, but works nicely. I saw that also web cams start to use their own IP address locally, seems to become more and more popular. Also it makes it easier to design it for any operating system, no need for device drivers!

You actually talk SIP to a local IP address (typically 127.0.0.1) and the RTP also flows locally. Looks a little bit odd at first sight, but works nicely. I saw that also web cams start to use their own IP address locally, seems to become more and more popular. Also it makes it easier to design it for any operating system, no need for device drivers!

Certainly looks promising. I presume you would need to use special ports so the the appropriate device got the connection?

Do you have a link to Sangoma product literature that covers this?

sangoma verified it does not work for windows.

Actually we aren't looking for a saviour. ;-) We use pattons and are quite happy.

But, yes, it would be nice to have a 1 or 2 port fxo that is really cheap. The only problem is that really cheap usually doesn't = "set and forget" but "install and have an eternal pest on your back" ;-)

The 2 port patton = approx $350. (SN4112/JO/EUI) Because the cost is not that much different we only stock the 4 port at our company. I can recommend patton fully. Excellent product quality and excellent service.

I will post if I find anything low end but I would caution against thinking too cheap. In the end people want something that works day in and out.

Matt