821 Provisioning

Stephen Durr

The 821 have built-in certificates, the provisioning should be even easier. Did you try just entering the IP address of the PBX in the setting URL of the phone?

BTW you can do this also after a reboot by holding the # during the boot process (you dont have to wait until the whol phone has booted up).

We're setting up our first Snom One PBX and all of our 320's have provisioned without a hitch. The 821's have been another story. does anybody know the trick to getting them to setup, or perhaps some magic dust or a sledge hammer?

Well, it depends on what version of PBX you are using. The .3958 version has issues with the 821 provisioning. You need something newer version than that for 821 provisioning to work.

Well, it depends on what version of PBX you are using. The .3958 version has issues with the 821 provisioning. You need something newer version than that for 821 provisioning to work.

I really think there ought to be a notification inside snom ONE that says "hey admin, there is a newer version you should get." And he can pick the right time and click "update" and the job is done.

Just a small suggestion that could perhaps avoid this type go around? telling users to update, then where to find the update? then how to update? Take a look at how blink (www.icanblink.com) does their updates, very proactive--they even let the user know what will change. very proactive. All just suggestions. ;-)

Looks like i submited the suggestion a little while ago. anyone who agrees can vote a yes.

http://snomone.ideascale.com/a/dtd/1-button-upgrade-snom-ONE/87178-11275

I did get a reply today from Snom support telling me that this is an issue with earlier versions and it has been addressed in later updates. Problem is I just downloaded the program and there does not seem to be a way to get the bug fixes or updates. I guess I will get used to Snom's archaic support system. The support rep said I could email him for the fix, but he left no forwarding address or info on how to get the fix and the return email is a non-reply address. My version is 2011-4.2.0.3950 (Win32). I do agree that the program needs an update utility but I also am not a big fan of updating for the sake of updating as this has hosed more than one installation in my history. Does anyone have a link to a download of the latest updates for Snom One?

I did get a reply today from Snom support telling me that this is an issue with earlier versions and it has been addressed in later updates. Problem is I just downloaded the program and there does not seem to be a way to get the bug fixes or updates. I guess I will get used to Snom's archaic support system. The support rep said I could email him for the fix, but he left no forwarding address or info on how to get the fix and the return email is a non-reply address. My version is 2011-4.2.0.3950 (Win32). I do agree that the program needs an update utility but I also am not a big fan of updating for the sake of updating as this has hosed more than one installation in my history. Does anyone have a link to a download of the latest updates for Snom One?

yeah, i guess even i'm confused as to were the snom ONE newer version are! ;-)

here are pbxnsip releases: (i think they work fine as snom one)

http://www.pbxnsip.com/download-software/software.php

here are my resource cache:

http://windowspbx.blogspot.com/p/snom-one-resources.html

I think i got my installer that worked here:(not marked well)

http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Downloads

yeah, i guess even i'm confused as to were the snom ONE newer version are! ;-)

here are pbxnsip releases: (i think they work fine as snom one)

http://www.pbxnsip.com/download-software/software.php

here are my resource cache:

http://windowspbx.blogspot.com/p/snom-one-resources.html

I think i got my installer that worked here:(not marked well)

http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Downloads

Thanks for the info, I like your Blog by the way. I also have the link to the download but it has the same version I have now, .3958 and it's the one with the bug. Support says they will send me a download with the bug fix. so maybe this will be solved by tomorrow. It seems sometimes that trying to find fixes from some of these companies is like looking for the Holy Grail or something. I don't understand why they can't setup a download site with everything already on it. I could have had this solved days ago, but instead I have to trudge along on a dead end ghost hunt. but that is the life of an IT consultant. Maybe I should have been a Cowboy!

Agree

http://pbxnsip.com/snomone/beta/win32/pbxctrl-2011-4.2.0.3969.exe should support the 821 PnP.

BTW, we do publish only the 'release' versions on the web page. Any issues that are resolved through the forum or direct support emails or ticket system, will be directly handled in the respective methods. Once in every 3-6 months we collect all the fixes and create a new release and update the web/download pages so that everyone can use them.

http://pbxnsip.com/snomone/beta/win32/pbxctrl-2011-4.2.0.3969.exe should support the 821 PnP.

BTW, we do publish only the 'release' versions on the web page. Any issues that are resolved through the forum or direct support emails or ticket system, will be directly handled in the respective methods. Once in every 3-6 months we collect all the fixes and create a new release and update the web/download pages so that everyone can use them.

I have to say that your support response was quite good and you provided a working solution for what turned out to be a known issue. I do appreciate your help and your comment here in the forum; it's nice to know that you guys do monitor these posts. However I will not give you a pass on my gripe, and I don't feel that most of us would. All of us are used to dealing with technical issues, it's our job. But what we need (what we long for) is complete transparency from you. You guys brag that Snom One provides Plug and Play with "all" Snom phones. . .I beg to differ. :-) There is absolutely no mention of this issue on your forums, knowledge-base, or in your download section. With the current release version you only support some of the Snom phones. How about posting "all" releases, past and present", as well as betas and fixes or service packs. There should also be release notes with each download item. . .we're not clairvoyant. Some of us are really stubborn and arrogant and will battle for days before sending a support query. :-)

Stephen,

"complete transparency..."

Wikileaks? ;-) Joking aside, I've worked with other pbx vendors and I have to say pbxnsip/snom has proven to be the most transparent software pbx company I've worked with. Sometimes personel don't know what company policy is or policy changes but they have always be frank and open/approachable about bugs/limitations. And I should say, in comparison to other products out there this pbx is quite bug free. ;-)

"Snom One provides Plug and Play with "all" Snom phones..."

Hey, I wouldn't pound snom for this. It was an honest bug that just needed a fix. So they do provide pnp for all snom phones... (except vision...and i guess that isnt a "phone" per say)

"There should also be release notes with each download item..."

This one I would agree with. I think this one would be good process for snom. ;-)

Actually 23 days ago i made such a suggestion on ideascale:

http://snomone.ideascale.com/a/dtd/version-change-log/91196-11275

Vote if you like it. ;-)

Take care gentlemen and have a Happy Christmas!

Matt

Stephen,

"complete transparency..."

Wikileaks? ;-) Joking aside, I've worked with other pbx vendors and I have to say pbxnsip/snom has proven to be the most transparent software pbx company I've worked with. Sometimes personel don't know what company policy is or policy changes but they have always be frank and open/approachable about bugs/limitations. And I should say, in comparison to other products out there this pbx is quite bug free. ;-)

"Snom One provides Plug and Play with "all" Snom phones..."

Hey, I wouldn't pound snom for this. It was an honest bug that just needed a fix. So they do provide pnp for all snom phones... (except vision...and i guess that isnt a "phone" per say)

"There should also be release notes with each download item..."

This one I would agree with. I think this one would be good process for snom. ;-)

Actually 23 days ago i made such a suggestion on ideascale:

http://snomone.ideascale.com/a/dtd/version-change-log/91196-11275

Vote if you like it. ;-)

Take care gentlemen and have a Happy Christmas!

Matt

Matt,

I agree with most of what you're saying and I feel it shows in my email. I've been impressed with the support I've received and I agree that Snom is a cut above some of the others. But we can't give them a complete pass just because other worthless companies do next to nothing. On the other hand I prefer to push my vendors to strive for excellence and to realize that their very best is never enough and that they should be strive to exceed our expectations. Of course they will never be able to, but if they always try and if we always try, all of us can have a great relationships.

On one hand I never expected a Snom tech to comment on this thread, whoever he was. . .thank you. I was pleased that my problem was dealt with the same day I sent in a support request. But on the other hand I feel they run a reactive support program. I'd like to see as complete a download section in the partner area as is possible. Forums and a knowledgebases are great, but how about an evolving section with video tutorials on every aspect of Snom One? What about monthly webinars and the posting of past ones? I think their University is wonderful and I'm registered to go to Boston next month for Snom One training, so I try to take advantage where I can. But can't we get some of that content in the partner section?

You see I like what I see with Snom and I think they will become an important part of my product portfolio, but I will always want more. When they give me more, I will still want even more. I see that drive in Snom's product line, in their sales team, but not from their support wing. They're good, better than most, but I think they can be great and I wish that they could catch my bug!

Stephen

Stephen,

"I prefer to push my vendors..."

Ha! I'm not sure what snom thinks I do!

"monthly webinars..."

i think snom has had one each of the last 2 months. And I think they mentioned in the last one they want to have them once a month. So you may be good there. I agree that posting old sessions would be good.

"boston training..."

maybe we say hello there. We have a brilliant tech at our company that wants to attend. I may accompany to take "vacation" ;-), learn from other partners and get to know snom ONE team better. We'll see.

"more drive in support team..."

http://windowspbx.blogspot.com/2010/10/various-thoughts-opinions-and-findings.html

Note my comments about support here. I'm hoping too that this can improve.

snom ONE is the most stable, feature rich, affordable, Windows pbx (and multiplatform) out there. Until Microsoft Lync takes over the world it will provide huge value.

Matt