Buttons, huntgroups and 360's

Kristan

In a previous installation (2.0), we had a major issue with the following setup:

1 huntgroup with 5 phones

each phone was watching each other's extension (so 4 buttons assigned as extensions)

When a call came in, each phone was getting multiple notifies and the snoms couldn't cope and died. I have another installation where they have the same setup, a small office, a single hunt group with all the phones in, and they want to watch the status of each others phones. The new place has 2.1 and 7.1.24 firmware on the phones, or are we likely to still suffer the same problems using buttons or will it work?

I've tried setting up a phone here with the buttons and the indicator lights work fine, but when set to extension, you can't press the buton and get it to dial that extension. Is there any way to have it monitor an extension AND work as a speed-dial button for that extension? You used to be able to do this on the snoms...

Is there any way to have it monitor an extension AND work as a speed-dial button for that extension? You used to be able to do this on the snoms...

It is kind of dangerous with the race conditions. If you press the button just after a new call enables a call pickup, you will not call that extension but steal it's calls.

Hmmm, ok, I can see that.

Personally as a phone user, I'd prefer to use the pickup code and have the buttons work for dialing/transfering etc. Or for it to do both - users will understand if they press the button while it's flashing it'll steal the call, but 99% of phones and systems I've used have the buttons for calling extensions, not just monitoring them. Seems like a bit of a limitation to me, especially when setting the snom function key to extension makes it behave like that.

We are having issues running combination of Snom 360s and 320s with latest stable 6 firmware and Pbxnsip 2.0.3.1705. We are also assigning extension keys on buttons with an idea to monitor who is on a call or to pickup the call when the person is not around. The feature works for about 10 incoming calls and then the feature dies. The lamps no longer lit up and only the phone reboot will make it work for another 10 calls. The phones continue to work, only the feature is affected. Most of our customers like the feature because they want to monitor who is on the phone when but with this problem we are not implementing it. Can anyone help

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, lets keep a "Speed Dial" mode in the back of our mind - or use the one which is arleady available... But that one does not light up the LED. Might be not so diffilult to do that. Lets see if others also feel the need for that.

I Agree with Kristan. Buttons with Speed-Dial would be nice. We already use this but with buttons it more easy to configure.

• 1 month later...

On the Snom 320 phone, the phones version of "Extension" type for the function button allows it to both monitor and speed dial. I would use the phones without auto provisioning, but I can't get the "Shared Line" feature to work without it. When I auto provision, I can't use the "Extension" to monitor and speed dial. We would like to have both of these features working. If I could auto provision certain buttons while manually configuring others, I could get it to work. Is this possible or are there plans to add the speed dial functionality to the "Extension" button.

• 2 months later...

I am having the same issue. Customers coming from traditional PBX systems expect to be able to monitor, and speed dial the extension all on the same button. I feel that not having this feature is a major shortcoming, and leads to many unhappy customers. I did find that if you are using a snom 220 you can set the button type to "destination", and then enter the extension number in the format of <sip:204@yourdomain.com;user=phone;intercom=true> and the button will monitor, speed dial, and pickup ringing calls all in one. No one ever complains about accidentally picking up a call. I wish there was a way to get a snom 360 to do this. The snom 360 does not have the ability to set the button type to "destination"

I am having the same issue. Customers coming from traditional PBX systems expect to be able to monitor, and speed dial the extension all on the same button. I feel that not having this feature is a major shortcoming, and leads to many unhappy customers. I did find that if you are using a snom 220 you can set the button type to "destination", and then enter the extension number in the format of <sip:204@yourdomain.com;user=phone;intercom=true> and the button will monitor, speed dial, and pickup ringing calls all in one. No one ever complains about accidentally picking up a call. I wish there was a way to get a snom 360 to do this. The snom 360 does not have the ability to set the button type to "destination"

If you select the "speed dial" option (in the PBX) with the buttons, it should work. Pressing the button always dials the same destination, no matter what the LED is showing.

The problem is then you loose the pickup feature. You also loose the ability to transfer to that extension by pressing the transfer button followed by the speed dial button. With a Snom 220 set to destination, you can do all 3 on 1 button.