In Cloud PBX

Walter

Hello guys I need some help .

I have a new project that will put the snomOne in a cloud environment (Virtual Server)

I'll go for the 150 version. All remote phones.

Client has many stores, usually 2 m9 Handsets and 1 fax line/ credit card machine ;-)

So what is the best Fax ATA device for the snom One? I was thinking Linksys PAP2. ?

How big of a virtual server do I need for 150 extensions most will have the 2 handsets registered on the same extension.

Fax is what I'm not comfortable about. What are your thoughts?

If you run the PBX in the "cloud" jitter is much higher than on CPE, so the virtualization overhead is probably neglectable. But I would be careful that the server is not too virtual, the service provider must not move the VM around from one phsical host to another all the time as this will create major service interruptions for your users.

150 extensions should be okay. The more important number is how many calls you expect. I think the important point here is that you have the option to add more CPU horsepower if you need it (relocate the server on a different physical device if you run short on resources).

And you are right, FAX is something important. Apart from using the PBX and T.38 for FAX, you can also consider using HTTPS for the FAX and bypass the whole FAX problem. PAP2 is an option, but I think you can also take a look at AudioCodes and Mediatrix, especially if you are interested inthe HTTP solution.

If you run the PBX in the "cloud" jitter is much higher than on CPE, so the virtualization overhead is probably neglectable. But I would be careful that the server is not too virtual, the service provider must not move the VM around from one phsical host to another all the time as this will create major service interruptions for your users.

150 extensions should be okay. The more important number is how many calls you expect. I think the important point here is that you have the option to add more CPU horsepower if you need it (relocate the server on a different physical device if you run short on resources).

And you are right, FAX is something important. Apart from using the PBX and T.38 for FAX, you can also consider using HTTPS for the FAX and bypass the whole FAX problem. PAP2 is an option, but I think you can also take a look at AudioCodes and Mediatrix, especially if you are interested inthe HTTP solution.

Does HTTP fax works better? I can still go thru the snomONE?

I did a very quick research and found only AudioCodes supporting this right now. AC is a great company, but it would make me feel a little bit more comfortable to know that other vendors also support this...

Depending on how it exactly works, it could be very simple to implement this also in the PBX.

Hello guys I need some help .

I have a new project that will put the snomOne in a cloud environment (Virtual Server)

I'll go for the 150 version. All remote phones.

Client has many stores, usually 2 m9 Handsets and 1 fax line/ credit card machine ;-)

So what is the best Fax ATA device for the snom One? I was thinking Linksys PAP2. ?

How big of a virtual server do I need for 150 extensions most will have the 2 handsets registered on the same extension.

Fax is what I'm not comfortable about. What are your thoughts?

Do not use the PAP2T - this unit is not good for fax. The SPA2102 adapter is much better - run the latest firmware from Linksys ver 5.2.12 which was just released end of Jan/2011. The new firmware made the T.38 faxing much better.

You can have the 2 ports on SPA2102 to handle 1 port for faxing and second port for credit card machine. The reason you need credit card machine on second port is because you have to set special settings on that port to get the visa machine to send data over voip.

Https faxing is the best - I think the guys over at Nexsip have this running now.

I did a very quick research and found only AudioCodes supporting this right now. AC is a great company, but it would make me feel a little bit more comfortable to know that other vendors also support this...

Depending on how it exactly works, it could be very simple to implement this also in the PBX.

It's not simple and I only know of one company that is doing https - they are the ones that made the https firmware that runs in the AudioCodes ATA's.

We have a customer using our https fax service today over a clear wimax modem. works great, no way T38 would survive that.

As far as using a virtual host on 150 users.. You would pretty much need a dedicated server to do that so it would be wiser to rent a server instead of a VM.

For pricing information on the HTTPS FAX ATA's email me burr@nexsip.com

db

The other thing that should not get forgotten is that T.38 can also be run over TCP (or even TLS). This will also be very reliable. At least the Ricoh in our office does that.

The signaling might be TCP/TLS however the T38 transport will still be UDP, and still subject to the same packet loss issues.

db

How much will you guys run on this server:

Core 2 Duo E8400

1x Core2Duo E8400 Dual Core

2 GB

1x 250 GB SATA

OS Debian

I mean how many extensions and CCS will you guys be willing to run here?

on your 3.0GHZ servers we try to keep the concurrent calls to about 30. I have seen them go a little higher, but that is our magic number.

All of our hosted customers are on dedicated blade servers we do not share resources. our blades go from 10 concurrent calls to 35. our 1.5Ghz blades are 10 concurrent calls our 3.8GHZ blades are 35.

db

check it out and if it can be implemented it will be VERY interesting.

on your 3.0GHZ servers we try to keep the concurrent calls to about 30. I have seen them go a little higher, but that is our magic number.

All of our hosted customers are on dedicated blade servers we do not share resources. our blades go from 10 concurrent calls to 35. our 1.5Ghz blades are 10 concurrent calls our 3.8GHZ blades are 35.

db

It seams a lot of resources for just 30 CCS.

I've been checking the snom ONE and Processor is not used that much.

What PBX you guys use?

You right, I'm loosing my mind. Sorry.

The best option would to have your clients Visa machine connect via internet instead of phone line - this way you don't have to worry about SPA2102 or VoIP settings to make the Visa machine work. All the newer Visa machine terminals have that option.