Key System Emulation with Call Park

Jeff Ogden

I am trying to achieve key system emulation with the call park feature; however, based on the way that PBXnSIP does call parking, this is not possible.

First, let me explain what I am trying to accomplish. (Using a Snom 360)

I would like to Use a Programmable key to park a call. I would like to have a second programmable button monitor the parked extension and then press the corresponding BLF extension monitor key to pick up the call park.

Unfortunately, this is not possible since you have to Perform a speed dial of *85500 to park the call on virtual extension 500. I can BLF monitor extension 500 and tell that there is someone in the park; however, when I press the button it sends me directly to Voicemail and does not pickup the parked call.

I would like to see a "Park Group" function that I can assign virtual extensions to that group. When I press the *85 feature code is would place the call in park on any of the extensions in the park group. I would then BLF monitor the park group extensions and press the corresponding key to pick up the parked call.

Key Items to add to PBXnSIP:

1) Park Groups

2) BLF function that monitors and allows me to pick up the call parked on that extension

I feel that this feature would really sell your product since there aren't any solutions that I know of that allow key system emulation accept for Allworx at this moment. I have heard that you can do it with conference rooms in Asterisk; however, it is very complicated and hard to implement.

Thanks,

Jeff Ogden

Did you use the buttons (http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Assigning_Buttons)? You must use automatic provisioning if you want to use that feature.

I have tried to place a call into a park orbit by programming the button with the following:

Context = 108@192.168.0.7

Type = Park Orbit

Number = <sip:500@192.168.0.7>

My phone will display "Parking Call !!" and then it just sends the call to extension 500's voicemail box.

What will I need to do in order to do this properly?

Thank you for your assistance.

I also just tried the instructions that you suggested and I need to know how to point the Snom 360's provisioning URL to the right place. I have already created the Button template, created the extension with the correct template selected and the phone did not get the settings. What URL should I use to point the phone to the right place.

Thanks.

We updated http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Snom... Is the description there sufficient?

Is there something special that is different when I create a park orbit manually or through the Auto provisioning? Does PBXnSIP add something special to the button field?

At this time, I can place a call on park with a park orbit function set to *85500. Then I can use function "Extension" to monitor extension 500. When I press the button monitoring 500 shows the parked Caller ID (Like I'm calling that number) and then the light goes dark and I do not have the call. If I press the button again, it dials 500 and goes directly to VM since there is not a registered phone on that extension.

Is there a way to manually set this up?

Thanks.

Well, the "buttons" are nothing else than a glorified on-the-fly speed dial provisioning with the indication what light should be used. The phone has no idea if it parking a call or setting the extension on DND. Or seize a CO-line. Everything still runs on star codes! Actually, we introduced a (secret) star code for seizing a line...

You can set everything up manually, but it is painful. If you can you should just use the automatic provisioning, then you can let the PBX do the work. Plus you can tell your users just to factory reset their phone if something screwed up.

Maybe you start with a phone that uses automatic provisioning, then you can copy from that phone.

That was the original plan to just auto provision the phones and then copy the configuration to the other phones. Right now I work for ABP Technology and we are distributor for PBXnSIP. I'm trying to get this feature to work so that I can tell all of my customers about it. We will also publish a blog that will show how to change the settings in a Snom phone. The next thing that I will attempt is to get this to work on a Aastra phone.

If you have any of the manual instructions, please let me know. Our server that I'm testing on does not handle the sip.mcast.net traffic and auto-provisioning is not working at this time. I will have to update them manually. thanks.

Check out http://www.pbxnsip.com/download/snom_installation.ppt, maybe it helps to get PnP working.

Thank you for the PowerPoint to setup the PnP function. That part of the setup worked really well. However; I am still having trouble with the Park Function.

I have PBXnSIP setup like this:

Name=5

Type=Park Orbit

Parameter=42

When I press press button 5 on the phone, parks the call on 42 and the lamps are lit. When I press the cooresponding key, it dials a *60xxx and says "this feature is not available".

Please let me know if this is correct.

Thanks.

Jeff Ogden

• 2 years later...

I have a few Aastra 6757i CT Phones that need to be setup as a key system. The phones have 4 line buttons and that is all we require four our small business. The goal is to allow someone put a call on hold on one extension and allow it to be picked up on another extension. PBXnSIP shows that they only support SNOM phones with this type of setup - however we have used the aastra phones with another service and like the setup of the aastra phones over the snom phones. That being set we need these phones setup with shared call appearances as some call it and I would like to do it with PBXnSIP because I have researched many PBX systems and PBXnSIP is the best overall for features with main one problem - key emulation. If anyone can assist in or has documented success in setting up my Aastra 6757i phones properly for key system emulation please contact me. I would be willing to compensate for this help. The other problem we have is with DTMF - it is hit or miss as to when it works making it impossible to navagate phone menu's when calling Credit Card Co, even My sip provider SOTEL - I have had the problems with aastra 6757i, snom 820 & a pap2 adapter. We are using PBXnSIP version 3 hosted at I/O data center by IT Logistics - Please Advise!