snom 300 auto-provisioning

nathans

Hi,

We have a snonONE w/E1 Plus configured on a new network with DHCP (w/option 66 enabled) and a POE switch with about 30 phones mixed between 300, 821 and 870 and a meeting point.

Upon first powering up the phones all of the 821s, 870s and Meeting Point correctly got an IP, downloaded the latest firmware as per the snomONE PnP configuration and registered according to the mac address allocation done in the system.

From about 12 snom 300s, only one managed to do so. All the rest did not even get an IP from the DHCP server. They all came with version 7.x.x. from factory and we had to manually upgrade them to version 8.4.18 If we upgraded to 8.4.31 they would work but upon dialing any extension the screen will scroll with all of the extension in the system only stopping at a random one (not the dialed one)

Any ideas why or how to solve this.

Thanks

Nathan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We have upgraded to the latest version and that has indeed taken away the issue of the scrolling directory appearing every time we dialed a number.

But the issue with the PnP on the snom 300 still remains:

We configured all of the domain settings, extensions, password, etc and have the SIP subscribe option ON on the snomONE+. We assign a MAC adress to an extension. And we plug the 300 directly to the same switch as the snomONE plus. It powers up with an IP but id does not upgrade FW (it comes with 7.x) and it does not register at all either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nathan

Do you see anything in the "generated" folder (in the working directory of the PBX)? If you don't have file system access, change the setting on the PBX so that it does not write into the generated folder, but instead shows the generated files in the web interface log (you can change this setting in admin/settings/pnp). That should help troubleshooting what is gonig on.

It might have to do with the fact that the multicast provisioning picks usually the private LAN address; if you provision via multicast to the public LAN, then this might now work. But if you put in the IP address of the PBX into the phone's settings server, it should get to the PBX anyway and then start pulling down the config fle (make sure you have "trust MAC" turned on on the same page.

If you are going through a router, the PBX will not be able to see the MAC address, then you have to put in a username/password on the snom 300, through the web interface.

Yep. the generated folder has a folder per extension with 8 files in it:

/usr/local/snomONE/generated/snomone.owl.com/4003/snom_3xx_fs.xml

/usr/local/snomONE/generated/snomone.owl.com/4003/snom_3xx_fw.xml

/usr/local/snomONE/generated/snomone.owl.com/4003/snom_3xx_phone.xml

/usr/local/snomONE/generated/snomone.owl.com/4003/snom_300_fkeys.xml

/usr/local/snomONE/generated/snomone.owl.com/4003/snom_gui_lang.xml

/usr/local/snomONE/generated/snomone.owl.com/4003/snom_web_lang.xml

/usr/local/snomONE/generated/snomone.owl.com/4003/snom300-0004133B4C48.htm

/usr/local/snomONE/generated/snomone.owl.com/4003/snom300.htm

Both the phones and the snmoONE are connected directly to a witch and using the same network 192.168.1.0/24 with no router or firewall between them.

I'm also only using one of the NICs on the snomONE (the LAN one) The other one is not connected at all.

If I manually register the phone it works, but if I restart it it never upgrades the FW to the one in the provisioning URL.

To me they make sense, but here they go in case I'm missing something:

snom_3xx_fs.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<firmware-settings>

<firmware perm="RW">http://provisioning.snom.com/download/fw/snom300-8.4.31-SIP-f.bin</firmware>

</firmware-settings>

Which is the new FW that is not being downloaded by the phone. I can ping and reach the snom.com site no problem for the phone network. no restrictions at all.

snom_3xx_fw.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<phone-settings>

<firmware_status perm="RW">http://192.168.1.2:80/prov/snom_3xx_fs.xml?model=snom300</firmware_status>

</phone-settings>

192.168.1.2 is the IP of the snomONE+ located in the same network & subnet as the snom 300.

Any ideas?

THANKS!!!

Something I noticed today and I do not know if it has anything to do with the issues is that for my domain name I'm not using a FQDN. I'm just using a domain I made up like snomne.owl.com.

I can see that the 300's are getting the following settings on their identities:

Registrar: snomone.owl.com

Outbound proxy: sip:192.168.1.2:5061;transport=tls

192.168.1.2 is indeed the snomONE+ internal (and only IP) but snomone.owl.com does not resolve to it (or anything for that matter)

I noticed this as on one M9 we have I could not make it register until I changed the registrar from the name to the numeric IP.

I guess my questions is, does it matter? and if it does, how/where I change the setting so the phones get the numeric IP instead of the domain name?

That does not matter. As long as the outbound proxy is a "reachable address" (IP or DNS), phone will send request to that address. The Registrar is something PBX will use to see if that is a valid PBX domain (need not be a resolvable DNS name).

Looks like http://provisioning.snom.com/download/fw/snom300-8.4.31-SIP-f.bin is a valid link (you can put it on the browser and it can be downloaded). So, either phone is not able download http://provisioning.snom.com/download/fw/snom300-8.4.31-SIP-f.bin file (could be issue on the phone/network/firewall etc).