Snom one Soho cannot get plug and Play working

citytelecom

Using the Snom One soho standalone unit.

We have on our LAN a Cisco (ESW-520-24P)LAN switch and a Zyxel P-660HN-F1Z.

I am attempting to use the SIP SUBSCRIBE. multicast method.

I am using Snom 360 and 370 phones (version 8.7.3.7).

I am following the manual closely yet the the phones are not autoprovisioning.

On rebooting the unit I do not see 'Joined Multicast' in the logfile.

Yea, thats a tricky problem. The next wave coming out has that problem solved.

I remember that you need to do something on the /etc/network/interfaces file; and you should use the latest/greatest firmware (4.5 Delta), which also makes sure that you cannot screw the IP configuration up so easily from the web interface. I would suggest to upgrade to that firmware version, then use the web interface to configure the IP address again, which will write the /etc/network/interface file, and after a reboot maybe the problem is solved.

Yea, thats a tricky problem. The next wave coming out has that problem solved.

I remember that you need to do something on the /etc/network/interfaces file; and you should use the latest/greatest firmware (4.5 Delta), which also makes sure that you cannot screw the IP configuration up so easily from the web interface. I would suggest to upgrade to that firmware version, then use the web interface to configure the IP address again, which will write the /etc/network/interface file, and after a reboot maybe the problem is solved.

Hi,

Thank you very much for coming back to me.

Can we look at the upgrade first?

I have upgraded from the Admin page (going to xx.xx.xx.xx:81) and clicking on 'Update' and then 'Start Update'. Nevertheless I think the version is 2.6.12 ( I see this on the left in the menu column near the bottom).

Is this unit upgradable to 4.5?

This is a SnomOne Soho standalone unit, it is not installed on a PC.

Peter

The old SoHo units were running a seperate web server, and that one has its own version number. Just log into the PBX and do a software update only on the PBX. If oyu dont have it, you can make a software upgrade on the Linux level, log in using SSH and then cd into /usr/local/snomONE, then download the image, rename it to pbxctrl and restart the system.

The old SoHo units were running a seperate web server, and that one has its own version number. Just log into the PBX and do a software update only on the PBX. If oyu dont have it, you can make a software upgrade on the Linux level, log in using SSH and then cd into /usr/local/snomONE, then download the image, rename it to pbxctrl and restart the system.

Thank you for replying so quickly. I'm afraid I cannot see how to do a software upgrade on the PBX side and if I try to Putty to the unit I get a 'Connection reused' error alarm.

You will need to manually upgrade from that version.

Instructions are available on the wiki http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Manual_Upgrade_for_snom_ONE_SoHo

This looks just the ticket.

I have managed to Putty to the system using port 8722. Do you know what user name and password I should use? I used 'admin' and no password for the

web interface but this doesnt get me in on putty.

If you are using version 4.5 and you changed the admin password in the web interface of the PBX, then that password is also worth a try.

Thank you for sticking with me on this one. That worked. I am using root/admin (admin being the password for my web admin login. I will now see how I get on with the upgrade.

You will need to manually upgrade from that version.

Instructions are available on the wiki http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Manual_Upgrade_for_snom_ONE_SoHo

Thank you for referring me to the upgrade guide. I am having a little trouble at step 3. How do you execute wget? I have tried simply typing wget and I get'mossing URL'.

Any further guidance on how to upgrade most appreciated.

Thank you for referring me to the upgrade guide. I am having a little trouble at step 3. How do you execute wget? I have tried simply typing wget and I get'mossing URL'.

Any further guidance on how to upgrade most appreciated.

Make sure your are in the snomONE directory.

wget http://downloads.snom.net/snomONE/sheevaplug/v4.5/pbxctrl-sheeva-4.5.0.1075

Hi,

I have made progress on the upgrade. I have managed to download the 4.5 upgrade file.

Doing an LS I can see the file in my snomONE directory.

The problem comes when I attempt to make the file executable. I have entered ln -sf 4.5.0.1075 pbxctrl.

Whilst the system doesnt complain I'm not anything has happened.

I then try the next step, ie, chmod a+x pbxctrl. This gives me 'cannot operate on dangling symlink `pbxctrl''

I stop and start the unit anyway but the checking the status page I can see the upgrade has not taken (it is still 4.3.0).

Can anyone see where I have gone wrong?

Peter

Your symbolic link is not correct,

I have entered ln -sf 4.5.0.1075 pbxctrl.

this should be something like "ln -sf pbxctrl-sheeva-4.5.0.1075 pbxctrl" the command is basically "ln -sf {file name to link to} {symbolic name}" it then creates a file using the {symbolic name} that points to a file similar to a windows shortcut.

Hi,

I have entered 'ln -sf pbxctrl-sheeva-4.5.0.1075 pbxctrl' but I do not think anything has changed.

Below shows my entering of the instruction and then an LS to look at the folder.

root@snomONE-SoHo:/usr/local/snomONE # ln -sf pbxctrl-sheeva-4.5.0.1075 pbxctrl

root@snomONE-SoHo:/usr/local/snomONE # ls

accesslist cdrt img recordings

acds certificates ivrnodes registrations

adrbook colines login schedules

attendants conferences messages snomONE-ctrl

audio_en dial_plan mohs spool

audio_it dial_plan_entry orbits srvflags

audio_moh domain_alias pbxctrl tftp

audio_uk domains pbxctrl-debian5.0-2011-4.3.0.5016 trunks

button_lists extensions pbxctrl-sheeva-4.5.0.1075 user_alias

buttons generated pbxctrl-sheeva-4.5.0.1075.1 users

callingcards hoots pbx.xml util

cdre html pnp_parms webpages

cdri hunts rates wipers

The issue was /etc/init.d/snomONE was still using link as 'snomONE-ctrl'. All we had to do is to change that to 'pbxctrl' and rename the newly downloaded file as 'pbxctrl'. This solved the problem.

This is the recommended method because with this change the future updates can be done from the PBX web interface. This is explained here - http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Software_Update#Important_Note

That means that the passwords and PIN codes dont comply with the security policy. For example, the user might have a safe password but a trivial PIN like 1234. Be sure to choose safe passwords and PIN, so that outside people for example cannot listen to voicemail messages from users.