SnomOne based installation for 2000 users

snom 300 user

Dear all,

I need an advice. One of my clients asked me for a solution for 2000 users.

It's big office with one solid IP network.

I know that SnomOne is a system for 150 extensions (mid size).

Also heard that someone use it with 300-500 extensions.

My sipp tests demonstrates that one SnomOne system can operates about 150 calls.

In the "snomONE_online_book.pdf" on page 142 in article "Connecting Branch Offices Together" I read how to connect two PBXs.

Therefore I think that I can split client's site to 4 or 6 PBXs and connect each other as gateways. Every pool of phones will be connected to different PBX.

For instance:

Extensions 1000-1099 belongs to pbx1.company.com

Extensions 2000-2099 belongs to pbx3.company.com

Extensions 3000-3099 belongs to pbx3.company.com

Extensions 4000-4099 belongs to pbx4.company.com

Extensions 5000-5099 belongs to pbx5.company.com

Extensions 6000-6099 belongs to pbx6.company.com

Is it good idea to make big project by using multiple PBXs?

Do I have to use Sip Proxy and if so what proxy is good for me?

SnomeOne uses xml files for configuration.

Is the any ideas how to use one "master" PBX and split settings to pbx1-pbx6 ?

Do anyone know how to make big installation using SnomOne?

Any ideas are much appreciate.

Thank you in advance.

//snom user

We have installations with 1500 extensions on one system, however the call intensity is low. Usually customers split larger installation base up into several domains and servers. This reduces the CPU load, so that per server the call volume does not exceed e.g. 150 calls. You can also use multiple core devices and then use the virtualization mechanisms to split it up into several VM. This also allowes you to implement hardware failover while keeping calls up.

My recommendation would be:

- Use virtualization on a system that does not host any other virtualization services (CPUs exclusive to the PBX service)

- Everything in the same VPN or even LAN, so that routing from one PBX to another does not create NAT problems. Then you can use a relatively simple dial plan and gateway trunks between the PBX, without the need to run a SIP proxy.

- The extension plan above makes a lot of sense. One big question is how to partition your user base into domains. The domains will be the base for you later physical setup. For example, which auto attendants should the system have; which ACD groups and who should be allowed to pick up calls from each other.

- You also need to think about PSTN breakout. Outbound calls should be relatively easy; however it would be important to have a concept for inbound calls. For example, if you have busy ACD groups with seperated DID, it makes a lot of sense to put them on seperate PSTN gateways or SIP service providers.

This should not be your first installation; you should have someone who knows the PBX well, so that you don't run into problems down the installation path. The fact that you used sipp is a good sign, it seems that you know what you are doing.

We have installations with 1500 extensions on one system, however the call intensity is low. Usually customers split larger installation base up into several domains and servers. This reduces the CPU load, so that per server the call volume does not exceed e.g. 150 calls. You can also use multiple core devices and then use the virtualization mechanisms to split it up into several VM. This also allowes you to implement hardware failover while keeping calls up.

My recommendation would be:

- Use virtualization on a system that does not host any other virtualization services (CPUs exclusive to the PBX service)

- Everything in the same VPN or even LAN, so that routing from one PBX to another does not create NAT problems. Then you can use a relatively simple dial plan and gateway trunks between the PBX, without the need to run a SIP proxy.

- The extension plan above makes a lot of sense. One big question is how to partition your user base into domains. The domains will be the base for you later physical setup. For example, which auto attendants should the system have; which ACD groups and who should be allowed to pick up calls from each other.

- You also need to think about PSTN breakout. Outbound calls should be relatively easy; however it would be important to have a concept for inbound calls. For example, if you have busy ACD groups with seperated DID, it makes a lot of sense to put them on seperate PSTN gateways or SIP service providers.

This should not be your first installation; you should have someone who knows the PBX well, so that you don't run into problems down the installation path. The fact that you used sipp is a good sign, it seems that you know what you are doing.

Thank you, snom ONE, for quick response.

One important point. Client has 8 E1 trunks. Thus 240 channels make huge traffic and I do not know how to process it by multiple PBXs.

Could someone post any schema or diagram how to make it.

I read a lof of articles that I certainly have to use Sip Proxy for this but I did not find any articles how to setup sip proxy with pbxnsip (snomone).

Thank you in advance.

...if this setup is for 1 company with multiple Domains/Systems then I guess you wouldn't be able to use the Adress book features of the SNOM phone? My understanding is the Address book is per Domain so it only pulls in all the extensions for that Domain and if you split up your 2000 extensions over multiple Domains/Ssystems how can you get this to work for the Adress book?

I don't think the Address book not working would be a deal breaker but it would be great to know if there is a trick to make that work.

...if this setup is for 1 company with multiple Domains/Systems then I guess you wouldn't be able to use the Adress book features of the SNOM phone? My understanding is the Address book is per Domain so it only pulls in all the extensions for that Domain and if you split up your 2000 extensions over multiple Domains/Ssystems how can you get this to work for the Adress book?

I don't think the Address book not working would be a deal breaker but it would be great to know if there is a trick to make that work.

I'm going to use internal LDAP (AD) lookup mechanism of Snom phones.

Honestly speaking address book is not a top priority in this project.

Setup schema and high load with more than 200 calls at the moment is still actual for me.

I also would not worry about the address book; that can be solved using LDAP (is already standard PnP).

I guess the company will have more than one phone number.Good gateways have the ability to route inbound calls depending on the called number, so that it would be no problem to send the inbound calls to the right destination. If you can partition the user base into domains (departments) that have less than lets say 100 calls, with a relatively simple setup where you dont even need a SIP proxy.