Back and Forth status switching of 200 OK and 401 Unauthorized

Carlos Montemayor

Hi!

I am running my first real live deployment of a snom mini with an end customer. The system is currently working but I am receiving email alerts from the pbx that tells me that the sip trunk is changing its status from 200 OK to 401 Unauthorized and then back to 200 OK and back to 401 and....you get the picture. I get close to a hundred alerts per day.

Any experience with such a situation?

Regards

Hi,

I sent an email to the sip provider and they suggested me to use 3,600 seconds as resitration duration. They also told me that it would be "normal" for them to answer with a 401 on a first request and with 200 on a second attempt (something regarding encription of the password). They did not adviced anything regadring the keepalive. If it were not being for the fact that I get to see failed calls (that were correctly dialed, by the way) on the call log, I would let this thing rest. It seems to me that my end customer is not complaining because they do get their calls through (on a different attempt).

The suggestion to use ipv4 is something that I have not tried and I will use it and see its impact.

Thanks!

maybe try to set a reasonable Proposed Duration and or a keepalive Time, to keep a constant flow of pacakets, other suggestion is to use the IPV4 of the proxy name. example "Callcentri.com resolves to 204.11.192.164

http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Trunks_Registrations

Indeed! I do take this as seriously as a hart attack. The customer represents my first formal deployment and I want them to be my showcase in the building where they are (and the incumbent carrier provides terrible service there, by the way).

I am not sure where to see the SIP trace that you mention, but the graphs look continuous. A log of the alerts just by taking note of the emails looks as follows:

13:16 200 OK

13:16 401 Authorization denied

13:19 200

13:19 401

13:21 200

13:21 401

13:31 200

13:31 401

13:32 200

13:32 401

13:33 200

13:33 401

13:34 401

13:34 200 (all of the above, this one included, dated November 30)

00:40 408 Request Time Out (dated December first)

00:40 200 OK

I have set the parameters as 3600 seconds for register duration and the keepalive at 60 seconds. It makes me wonder why the changes of status ocurre in less than 60 seconds intervals and there are periods of time where there are no alarms at all. What really "gives me the willies" is that in the call logs I do see a rather considerable amount of calls with no duration whatsoever (as in a failed call) where the dialed number is a valid one. I do not know how a call to a busy number shows up (hopefuly those calls with no duration were made to busy numbers, but I do not know that and I do not know if they show differently in a call log).

I really appreciate the input of both of you. It asures me that I am not alone.

Sincerely, thanks!

Well you do have to take such things serious. How does the SIP trace look like? Are there really "windows" where the PBX is not registered?

Absolutly yes!

Will do so in a few minutes. I will send you a Monterrey DID (Area code 81, Country code 52) with the ability to dial anywhere in Northamerica (Canada, USA and Mexico, landlines and cellular).

Cheers!

Is there a chance that we can use your SIP trunk provider data and try out on a test system (private message with the account, outbound proxy, password etc)? You can change the password after this.

Hi,

I sent the details of the test account over the weekend in a private message. Did it go through? Were you able to register it?

During this morning I received a comment from the systems guy, from the end users, telling me that they could receive calls but were not able to place outbound calls. I checked the call log and saw that earlier during the morning they were able to place some calls. I changed the proxy address back to the literal form (as opposed to the ipv4 numbers) and immediately they were able to place calls again. The thing that still leaves me "uneasy" is that they told me that they have a percentage of unsuccessful calls. There is not suppouse to be a problem with bandwith or available co lines (I defined 10 of them). The other thing that I can do, is to add a new trunk from an alternative sip provider, splitting the traffic among the two, and see if it behaves better or not.

Regards,

Absolutly yes!

Will do so in a few minutes. I will send you a Monterrey DID (Area code 81, Country code 52) with the ability to dial anywhere in Northamerica (Canada, USA and Mexico, landlines and cellular).

Cheers!

Looks like the problem is that the service provider sends OPTIONS to refresh the binding. The PBX does not answer those requests by default. However there is a way to enable them by editing the pbx.xml file and set out_of_dialog_options to true. Version 5.0.3 will contain something that does this automatically.

The device that I have is a "mini" running the 4.5.0.1090 version. I do not speak linux, but I was able to update the firmware following instructions like a "cooking recipy" and using a tool call "Putty" (or something like that). If I could have a step by step recipy, I will certainly try to do it. I believe that the end useres are not having a 100% good experience and I want to do whatever is within my reach to improve it.

Thanks and regards,

Looks like the problem is that the service provider sends OPTIONS to refresh the binding. The PBX does not answer those requests by default. However there is a way to enable them by editing the pbx.xml file and set out_of_dialog_options to true. Version 5.0.3 will contain something that does this automatically.

Hi!

I am still learning to read the sip log files, but yes, I believe that 200 OK is being answered, and more importantly, I stop receving alerts for status changes. I do not know what kind of effect will this fix have in the end user experience, if any, but at least, I am not going to receive about a one hundered alarms per day.

You guys are the real McCoy. Thank you very much!

Regards,