Best Practice of troubleshooting a production system

Hi

I had a problem today and I wish I had a troubleshooting guide. Perhaps there is one and I just do not know it. The situation is as follows:

The sytem is a mini, running epsilon geminidis. It had been working flawlessly for a bit more than a month. Yesterday, at midnight, it send me its summary emails as usual, no problems. However, very early this morning, I received a couple of emails advicing me of trunk deregistrations. The dreadded 408 error message on both trunks at the same time (I had set two independent trunks with different SIP trunk providers). Some three hours later, one of the trunks turned 200 OK, only to lose registration one minute later. I entered into the system remotely and saw that everything was ok, however, I had no registration. It should work, but it was not. Having no other tools, I asked the local IT guy to power cycle the pbx. The result was worse. Most of the configuration on the pbx after the power cycle was lost, including the licence key. Fortunately, I had a copy of it and also a copy of a configuration that was working on december. I re-accepted the licence terms and saved the 64 bit key and did a system restore. The system came back to life. Well, at least the users can make calls. However, I lost the ability to reach the system remotely, I do not know why. So, they are working but I do not know if they are doing it at 100% since I cannot see the GUI. I will go there right now to see if I can log in on the premise.

Guidance is appreciated.

Hi,

Just arrived at the customer premise. Everything is working right, however, I cannot connect to the GUI locally. I entered the local IP address and the browser cannot show the GUI as it used to.

What should I do?

Regards,

Hi

I had a problem today and I wish I had a troubleshooting guide. Perhaps there is one and I just do not know it. The situation is as follows:

The sytem is a mini, running epsilon geminidis. It had been working flawlessly for a bit more than a month. Yesterday, at midnight, it send me its summary emails as usual, no problems. However, very early this morning, I received a couple of emails advicing me of trunk deregistrations. The dreadded 408 error message on both trunks at the same time (I had set two independent trunks with different SIP trunk providers). Some three hours later, one of the trunks turned 200 OK, only to lose registration one minute later. I entered into the system remotely and saw that everything was ok, however, I had no registration. It should work, but it was not. Having no other tools, I asked the local IT guy to power cycle the pbx. The result was worse. Most of the configuration on the pbx after the power cycle was lost, including the licence key. Fortunately, I had a copy of it and also a copy of a configuration that was working on december. I re-accepted the licence terms and saved the 64 bit key and did a system restore. The system came back to life. Well, at least the users can make calls. However, I lost the ability to reach the system remotely, I do not know why. So, they are working but I do not know if they are doing it at 100% since I cannot see the GUI. I will go there right now to see if I can log in on the premise.

Guidance is appreciated.

No, I could not use SHH. I got a message "Connection refused". At home, I was working with my desktop pc when all these things developed. Now that I am at the customer premise, I am using my laptop. I could not get access with neither of those and here at the customer premise I tried the SSH with said: "connection refused".

The good thing, is that the users are able to place calls, but I feel "naked" since now I cannot make any adjustments in the system.

:-(

I will go there tomorrow morning to try SSH with port 22. That is certainly a good idea. I am sure I did not changed it and I know that I had been able to enter with 8722. However, several things happened this morning that were not suppoused to like reverting to the default user and password in the GUI after the power cycle. If those things went to default by themselves, that port could have gone to default as well.

Thanks for the advice. I will attempt that tomorrow.

Hi,

I just was granted access to the customer premise. Fortunately, I do have access to the device through SSH. It was port 22 the good one. I got confused because when I had received the original device it was port 8722, it must have changed due to a firmware update.

Now then. As per Mr. X recommendation, I reviewed the folders under snomONE and found the following:

accesslist cdre expired-1399.txt orbits schedules

acds cdri expired-779.txt outbounds spool

adrbook cdrt extensions pbxctrl srvflags

attendants certificates generated pbxctrl-old trunks

audio_de clean.sh hoots pbx.xml user_alias

audio_en colines hunts pnp_parms users

audio_moh conferences ivrnodes rates webpages

audio_sp dial_plan login recordings wipers

button_lists dial_plan_entry messages registrations

buttons domain_alias mohs reset-button.sh

callingcards domains mutex.txt restore

I do not see an access folder. The closest in name is accesslist. I entered it and found the following:

1.xml 2.xml 3.xml 4.xml index.txt

That was about it.

As per the behaviour of the device. It has been working. However, some calls are beeing dropped when transfered and there have been some no audio calls (before the incident there was not a single one occurrance).

What could be the next recommendation?

Regards

Hi

Thanks for the tip. However, the problem does not seem to come from that angle. Now that I was able to bring the original snom mini home, to my amazement, I was able to see and navigate through the web GUI with no problem. I then made a fast review of its configuration and the one thing that grabbed my attention was its IP address configuration, it was the following:

DHCP: No

IP Address: 192.168.1.253

Net Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.254

DNS Domain: 192.168.1.254

DNS1: 192.168.1.254

DNS2: 192.168.1.254

DNS3:

I do not know if that configuration can cause problems with some local networks. However, the configuration that I left this saturday on the mini that replaced the original is:

DHCP: No

IP Address: 192.168.1.253

Net Mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.254

DNS Domain:

DNS1: 8.8.8.8

DNS2 8.8.4.4

DNS3:

I have dobuts regarding how one should configure this particular settings. However, what does make sense to me, is that if DNS is not set correctly, one should expect trouble having a browser resolve a web page address, in this case, the configuration page of the device. What is the best practice to configure the DNS settings?

Moreover, what puzzles me, is that the file that I used to do a system restore, was no other that the last configuration that I had there that worked. So I do not know why it worked before and then it did not later.

The router over there is a UTM (Unified Threat Management) Cyberoam. It seems to me that such a thing blocked the snom mini GUI as if it were a forbidden web page. Although those things are supposed to block external content, not internal ones and it had been working before. Well, what do I know.

Advice, suggestions, comments are most wellcomed

Regards,

I have dobuts regarding how one should configure this particular settings. However, what does make sense to me, is that if DNS is not set correctly, one should expect trouble having a browser resolve a web page address, in this case, the configuration page of the device. What is the best practice to configure the DNS settings?

One thing to watch out for: I've read on various blogs/forums that some ISPs try to force their customers to use the ISP's DNS servers. AT&T U-verse is apparently notorious for this. While there are workarounds for these situations, LAN problems will arise if the router's connection to the ISP is reset, if great care is not taken when configuring the workaround.

Hi,

Well, currently I can connect remotely and manage the system. Unfortunately, I do not have control over the router/firewall, that is under the end customer control who unfortunately does not have a very knowledeble systems guy. Nevertheless, I have just conntacted the vendor that supplyed the UTM (the cyberoam that is the router with firewall) and he offered to help. I am asking him to have a look over that device log.

I will come back with the info.

Thanks and regards

You have a remote connection issue, but you have yet to say anything about your firewall log. Do you see the connection going to the snomONE and then out the snomONE to your remote computer?

Is anything changed from the network point of view in your location?

Hi,

Interesting point. Using the DNS of the ISP provider is something that had not occurred to me. Currently the DNS used are the public google ones and it could very well be something giving trouble.

I will take a look on that

Thanks!

One thing to watch out for: I've read on various blogs/forums that some ISPs try to force their customers to use the ISP's DNS servers. AT&T U-verse is apparently notorious for this. While there are workarounds for these situations, LAN problems will arise if the router's connection to the ISP is reset, if great care is not taken when configuring the workaround.