Extensions. Automatic call recording. Calls to the extension can be automatically recorded. The recorded messages are made available in the mailbox.

Lyle Chritton

On the website under Extensions, it says: Automatic call recording. Calls to the extension can be automatically recorded. The recorded messages are made available in the mailbox.

Does this mean that for v5, any/all/selected calls made to an Extension can be recorded, and then are made available in the voice mailbox automatically ?

What about having this done for an Agent Group?

I know many managers, supervisors, etc who would love to be able to have the same functionality for an Agent Group.

People would buy/need the automatic recording license, snom v5 saves any/all/selected calls made to the Agent Group as voice mailbox recordings to an Extension.

Then manager, supervisors, etc would be able to call in via cell/landline and review call recordings.

There are two different kind of recordings: Automatic and manual (or ad-hoc). The automatic recordings land in the file system and so far this is a one-way street. The manual recording land in the mailbox and are similar to voicemail messages.

The problem is that automatic recording usually ends up in a huge amount of data. Having them in the mailbox would not be very useful (you-have-one-thousand-and-three-hundred-twenty-two-saved-messages, great now what). Having those files on the file system is usually a lot easier to handle, for example if you include the date in the file path and make the date a directory all recordings are at least sorted by date. I heard from a customers that he has 40 GB of recordings; you don't want to show them in a long list on the web interface.

But we don't oppose improvements with the automatic recording. For example, it could make sense to go through the recent recordings with a simple star code and move back and forth with a DTMF tone similar to what is already available in the mailbox. For example when you have this one-hour ride home and you want to review the calls of the day, it might make sense to have a review function available from your cell phone (assuming that this is legal).

There are two different kind of recordings: Automatic and manual (or ad-hoc). The automatic recordings land in the file system and so far this is a one-way street. The manual recording land in the mailbox and are similar to voicemail messages.

The problem is that automatic recording usually ends up in a huge amount of data. Having them in the mailbox would not be very useful (you-have-one-thousand-and-three-hundred-twenty-two-saved-messages, great now what). Having those files on the file system is usually a lot easier to handle, for example if you include the date in the file path and make the date a directory all recordings are at least sorted by date. I heard from a customers that he has 40 GB of recordings; you don't want to show them in a long list on the web interface.

But we don't oppose improvements with the automatic recording. For example, it could make sense to go through the recent recordings with a simple star code and move back and forth with a DTMF tone similar to what is already available in the mailbox. For example when you have this one-hour ride home and you want to review the calls of the day, it might make sense to have a review function available from your cell phone (assuming that this is legal).

The people who want to call in to review agent group recordings by cell/land-line phone won't care about any hardware requirements, or that they have 1000 messages to review (newest first, obivously, just like any voicemail system) - they just want it to work. They are required (in some cases by law) to review all calls by their staff, regardless of how many voicemails there are. So what if there is 500 voicemails in the system - there are 2 supervisors, 1 manager and 1 owner who will all call in and check voice mails. I just need it to happen.

I understand what I'm wanting isn't useful to 50% of the people out there - but I am one of the 50% for whom this issue is critical and necessary, regardless of any hardware overhead. I understand the resources needed to record all calls, all the time, etc. The original specs (well beyond snomONE recommendations) on my snomONE server were 2 Xeon dual cores with 8G of ram - I have no idea what it's been upgraded to now (2 Xeon Quads with 16G?), but I've never seen my media CPU usage graph ever go above ... 5% ? It should be well able to handle v4 or v5 with any weird stuff.

If the agent group recordings are time-limited (ie they get erased after so much time) or space-limited (after a certain hard drive space/memory-usage limit has been reached), that's fine.

Lyle