0 KB Tar file in backup

Carlos Montemayor

Hi,

I am trying to make a backup file, but I am getting a 0 KB TAR File as a result. I figured that the actual backup must be larger that the allowed limit, so I deleted all the recordings of conversations and increased the limit of the backup file to the maximum of 10 MB, however, that did not help. I continue to have a 0 KB tar file.

What can it be? I am using version 5.1.2 64 bit debian hosted.

Regards

Agreed.

Could you please outline the procedure to do the file system backup? I mean, I accessed the server using SSH and gave the tar command but it did not work. I have my backup file now thanks from the help of Vodia support, however, since this is something that should be done every so often, I should be able to do it by myself. How should I use the tar command?

Regards

cd /usr/local/snomONE
tar cvfz /whereever/backup20140116.tgz --exclude tftp --exclude 'audio_*' .

Note that there is no "-" before the options to tar. You might want to exclude also other directories, e.g. the recordings in case you are performing automatic recordings. For more information, search for "man tar" in the search engine of your chioce... In Windows, you can just ZIP the folder.

Hi

So the main trick was to issue the command once positioned in the right directory. However, I had to write the command as previously recommended, as follows:

tar -zcvf backup20140123.tar.gz /desired-directory

That was the way that I was able to get my file. Thanks!

Regarding excluding things, If I would like to keep everything exception made of the recorded conversations the command would be:

tar -zcvf name-of-backup-file.tar.gz /desired-directory --exclude /recordings/pbx.company1.com --exclude /recordings/pbx.company2.com and so forth?

Regards