Multiple Companies using Same Trunk In and Out

Bartolini

I have different parties in different companies needing to make use of the PBX software I currently have.

So far I have one trunk and 100 extensions working for one company. I am only using 20 extensions from that license.

Before I add the other 2 companies I thought it wise to post here and get some expert ideas without spending unnecessarily.

I do know that I will need to do the following;

1- Have a separate call attendant for each department.

2- Have Caller ID working in both directions. That should be no big deal for the software.

3- Have a console where the office administrative assistant can see the incoming calls, intercept and route to the correct call attendant.

Since I have one trunk with 3 concurrent calls, my first thought was to buy another trunk to increase the concurrent call capacity. I am not sure if I would even need another trunk if my current trunk had say... 10 concurrent call capacity??

I already created new domains for each department (company) so that should work. Using the tel:# option in the alias should help incoming calls get to the right extension. I am just not sure about how to set up the trunk/domain relationship so outgoing goes well.

The last part is the office ADMIN being able to monitor everything?

Has anyone attempted this before? Any help would be appreciated.

Since I have one trunk with 3 concurrent calls, my first thought was to buy another trunk to increase the concurrent call capacity. I am not sure if I would even need another trunk if my current trunk had say... 10 concurrent call capacity??

Fortunately, the trunks are "virtual", that means there is no limit on how many calls you can have on that trunk.

I already created new domains for each department (company) so that should work. Using the tel:# option in the alias should help incoming calls get to the right extension. I am just not sure about how to set up the trunk/domain relationship so outgoing goes well.

I think an important question here is if you register the trunk or use the gateway mode. Depending on that, you might want to choose different strategies.

The last part is the office ADMIN being able to monitor everything?

Everything stays in the domain. The admin can see what is going on in the domain - but not outside of the domain.

Fortunately, the trunks are "virtual", that means there is no limit on how many calls you can have on that trunk.

Are you saying that 20-30 calls can happen in or out at the same time because of that virtual status?

At what point would I need to purchase another trunk if at all?

I think an important question here is if you register the trunk or use the gateway mode. Depending on that, you might want to choose different strategies.

The trunk is currently registered with callcentric. Can you tell me more about gateway mode and point to a setup plan for both? Since I am no way a expert I hope there is a detailed source for that?

Also maybe what would be the best way to go since I will be adding more departments soon? The call attendant piece is where I am stuck. I need to have different ones for each department with different general mailboxes.

Since I have 100 user capacity. It would seem I could split that up into 5 parts so 1-20 is one department, 21-41 is the next and so on. But partitioning like that is a HOW?? It would seem that all external calls would be to the same number and the extensions would be the separating factor.

If I wanted a different external number to dial then I would have to buy another trunk. Is that correct?

Everything stays in the domain. The admin can see what is going on in the domain - but not outside of the domain.

So when my ADMIN is sitting at her computer she will be able to see the incoming calls on her PC. I was looking for a program or utility that will give her a interface other than what she can see on her phone. Can you elaborate more on how that could work?

Thx

Are you saying that 20-30 calls can happen in or out at the same time because of that virtual status?

At what point would I need to purchase another trunk if at all?

That is correct, a trunk does not have a call limitation. You need another trunk only if you want to talk to another destination, for example another PSTN gateway or another SIP provider.

The trunk is currently registered with callcentric. Can you tell me more about gateway mode and point to a setup plan for both? Since I am no way a expert I hope there is a detailed source for that?

Check the Wiki - http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Domain_A...stration#Trunks

Also maybe what would be the best way to go since I will be adding more departments soon? The call attendant piece is where I am stuck. I need to have different ones for each department with different general mailboxes.

Since I have 100 user capacity. It would seem I could split that up into 5 parts so 1-20 is one department, 21-41 is the next and so on. But partitioning like that is a HOW?? It would seem that all external calls would be to the same number and the extensions would be the separating factor.

If I wanted a different external number to dial then I would have to buy another trunk. Is that correct?

If you are using callcentric, I would definitevely have one trunk per domain. That trunk will be used for inbound and outbound calls. That keeps things simple. They all have their own DID number, and you even get bills for every domain. The cost for the SIP trunks is not outrageous, and IMHO it is worth it.

So when my ADMIN is sitting at her computer she will be able to see the incoming calls on her PC. I was looking for a program or utility that will give her a interface other than what she can see on her phone. Can you elaborate more on how that could work?

Some phones support a "sidecar" (Polycom, snom) that can be used for monitoring extensions. We are also working on a "pbxnsip attendant console" (PAC), which is a piece of software that runs on the attendants PC - but this is only in testing phase yet.