Parallel Parking

Andrew D Kirch

I'm a long-time Asterisk user and always considered the parking lots in Asterisk well implimented. I can stack up calls in parking slots and just let the recipient of the call know which slot their call is in so that they can pick it up at their convenience. From what I can see in the WIKI however, PBXnSIP seems to be only able to support one parking slot per pickup group. It really should be trivial to have a larger parkinglot in the format of *86<slot> or *86<group><slot> allowing for multiple call parking and retrieval.

You can always have "dummy" extensions for parking calls.

Also, you can use ACD for "parking" calls - then they will have the real waiting experience. ACD are perfrect for stacking up callers...

IMHO the real problem is not functionality, it is usability. All those star codes are nice, but try to explain that to the plain user. Therefore, we tell people to hold the call and call it "parking", then other can just be "picked up" held calls. In TDM systems you could not have two calls on one physical cable, that is where the confusion starts. In SIP you can, and you should do it.

You can always have "dummy" extensions for parking calls.

Also, you can use ACD for "parking" calls - then they will have the real waiting experience. ACD are perfrect for stacking up callers...

IMHO the real problem is not functionality, it is usability. All those star codes are nice, but try to explain that to the plain user. Therefore, we tell people to hold the call and call it "parking", then other can just be "picked up" held calls. In TDM systems you could not have two calls on one physical cable, that is where the confusion starts. In SIP you can, and you should do it.

Having seen quite a few users go glassy-eyed when I say "ooh just hit *99 and it'll take care of it", I agree that star codes are confusing. I've spent about 20 minutes this morning playing with shared line appearances on the Snom phones to no avail. I set up CO lines for my two trunks (local x2) (longdistance x1) , and used the co lines names as shared lines in the snom phones. After this didn't work I went over to the wiki and couldn't find any documentation on shared lines, line grouping etc. Is there any possibility of getting some of this added to the wiki?

The configuration is really a black magic. That is why I would recommend to use the plug and play mechanism and set the list of watched calls. Then those calls should be visible on the phone. You can monitor CO lines as well as extensions. Make sure you have a 2.0.2 (or a 2.0.3 beta) release.

The configuration is really a black magic. That is why I would recommend to use the plug and play mechanism and set the list of watched calls. Then those calls should be visible on the phone. You can monitor CO lines as well as extensions. Make sure you have a 2.0.2 (or a 2.0.3 beta) release.

The customer in question has a PRI, and the Snom phones have 12 lights on them. The customer also tends to heavily use the PRI 14-21 channels in use from open to close every day all the time. I agree that this is the best solution but am wondering how to scale it up to "you have a call holding on line 17". Do you have any thoughts on this?

• 2 months later...