Apple Mac mini PBX Available for Testing

Vodia PBX

As we approaching version 3 release, we have spent some time in getting an image for the MAC world. Especially the MAC mini seems to be very interesting for running a SIP-PBX. For those who are interested, we have prepared a build at:

http://www.pbxnsip.com/download/pbxctrl-darwin9.0-3.0.0.2992

Feedback welcome. Maybe there is a MAC guru out there than can explain us how to make something easy installable out of this executable.

Macintosh:prj mr$ uname -a

Darwin macmini.pbxnsip.com 9.2.1 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.1: Tue Feb 5 23:08:45 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.4.20~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Compilation seems to run smoothly. Only the clock behavior seems to be a little bit different than Linux, we could not figure out how to differentiate between real-time and CPU clock. Anyway, maybe that is just hair-splitting. So keep an eye on that, especially when the NTP client decides to change the time.

he guys amazing....

amazing guys, finally...

requests:

- lets include the address book dialer posted on this forum.

creating install package:

1. download apple developer tools

2. in /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Packagemaker.app is your friend.

no clue about the time issue.

christof

We are working on the installer

he guys amazing....

amazing guys, finally...

requests:

- lets include the address book dialer posted on this forum.

creating install package:

1. download apple developer tools

2. in /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Packagemaker.app is your friend.

no clue about the time issue.

christof

On the software page I found the installer for Mac 9.

The news page states that an installer for Mac X has been released, but it is yet not on the downloadpage.

Andover, MA – August 22, 2008 – pbxnsip, Inc., a leader in SIP-based IP PBX software for Microsoft Windows and Linux environments, today announced version 3.0 of their software is now available for Mac OS X Leopard.

Has the software been made available yet?

Note: We aren't using Mac X ourselfs, but I noticed it while getting the windows version

Yes...yes. We have released the MAC version of the PBX. It is available on our software download page under "Mac OS (Darwin 9.0)" name.

http://www.pbxnsip.com/software

On the software page I found the installer for Mac 9.

The news page states that an installer for Mac X has been released, but it is yet not on the downloadpage.

Has the software been made available yet?

Note: We aren't using Mac X ourselfs, but I noticed it while getting the windows version

Currently, this has been tested only on Intel. BTW, what is UB?

UB == Universal Binary

That would allow the same binary to run on both the Intel and PPC architectures. I would say that might not be a good idea. You would likely run into some performance issues seeing as this is a realtime application and we have seen issues with video/voice processing in universal binaries in the past. If you want to support the older PPC based systems for something as sensitive as voice handling, a native build is the only way to go.

Tim

The G4 Mac Mini is also a mini but it has a totaly different processor.

I'm not saying that should work as that is not the most powerful processor.

My main testmachine is a G5 dual which probably had enough power to run the application.

That is why I was asking if it would work on PPC.

It is fine if it will never run on PPC but it would be good if the installer would tell you!

• 2 months later...

In the last installer for the mac the Startup Item that is created does not work.

I changed it to the following to get it working right:

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.common

# The start subroutine

StartService() {

echo "Starting the PBX Service"

cd /Library/pbxnsip

echo Changing to directory /Library/pbxnsip

./pbxctrl-darwin9.0 --dir /Library/pbxnsip

}

# The stop subroutine

StopService() {

echo "Stopping the PBX Service"

killall -TERM pbxctrl-darwin9.0

}

# The restart subroutine

RestartService() {

echo "Restarting the PBX Service"

StopService

StartService

}

RunService "$1"

• 2 weeks later...
In the last installer for the mac the Startup Item that is created does not work.

I changed it to the following to get it working right:

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.common

# The start subroutine

StartService() {

echo "Starting the PBX Service"

cd /Library/pbxnsip

echo Changing to directory /Library/pbxnsip

./pbxctrl-darwin9.0 --dir /Library/pbxnsip

}

# The stop subroutine

StopService() {

echo "Stopping the PBX Service"

killall -TERM pbxctrl-darwin9.0

}

# The restart subroutine

RestartService() {

echo "Restarting the PBX Service"

StopService

StartService

}

RunService "$1"

We know that works. This is because the installer copies the binary to /Library/pbxnsip folder.

But we need a script that:

1. On a fresh install (first time on the Mac), a) creates working directory - /var/run/pbx and starts the service

2. On newer version installation (kind of upgrades), a) stops the pbx service, if running. b)verifies whether /var/run/pbx exists. c) starts the service with the new binary.

3. On the Mac system restart, automatically starts the pbx service (similar to the Windows Service)

This has to work seamlessly. I have seen many times the 'killall -TERM pbxctrl-darwin9.0" returning "No such processes found...." error message even though, 'ps -ef' finds the that process.

The problem I have with the current script is that:

A It does not start pbxnsip

B If you start it with the corrected commandline, it uses /var/run/pbxnsip as it's working directory but also puts it in /Library/pbxnsip which then efectively does nothing.

So in my opinion it should be either /var/run/pbxnsip or /Library/pbxnsip and not both.

The problem I have with the current script is that:

A It does not start pbxnsip

B If you start it with the corrected commandline, it uses /var/run/pbxnsip as it's working directory but also puts it in /Library/pbxnsip which then efectively does nothing.

So in my opinion it should be either /var/run/pbxnsip or /Library/pbxnsip and not both.

/var/run/pbx is the working directory for the PBX. If you are starting pbx manually, you can choose any directory (of course, write permissions need to be verified). On the command line you can try '/Library/pbxnsip/<the binary> --dir /var/run/<pbx wg>', where <the binary> is the pbx binary that is installed, <pbx wg> is the working directory that you can create using 'mkdir' before running the PBX.