Caller ID Name questions

jlumby

I was wondering 2 things about caller ID name.

The first is is it possible to create a local database of caller ID names, so when the PBX sees a number, it inserts the name out of the local database, or can overwrite the caller ID name that comes from the phone company if the name exists locally. The reason I ask is we have some customers that receive a lot of calls from DID numbers at other companies where it will just show the caller ID name of the entire company, and not specific person who has the DID.

Secondly in the case where the local provider only provides caller id number, it there a public database you can query to get the name? I would think something similar to reverse DNS would exist. If such a thing does exist, how could I get the PBX to query it?

The first is is it possible to create a local database of caller ID names, so when the PBX sees a number, it inserts the name out of the local database, or can overwrite the caller ID name that comes from the phone company if the name exists locally. The reason I ask is we have some customers that receive a lot of calls from DID numbers at other companies where it will just show the caller ID name of the entire company, and not specific person who has the DID.

Sounds like you could use the domain address book for this?

Secondly in the case where the local provider only provides caller id number, it there a public database you can query to get the name? I would think something similar to reverse DNS would exist. If such a thing does exist, how could I get the PBX to query it?

Such service exists, but you have to pay for it...

THe other thing is: For the PBX that is tricky, because there might be a significant response time and then the user will have the impression the PBX hangs. In SIP it is generally difficult to change the To/From-headers once the INVITE has been sent (or let's say the support from the phones is pretty poor).

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that in 9 out of 10 cases the domain address book does not insert or overwrite the name when the call comes into a hunt/agent group, however I have found it works fine if the DID is pointed directly at an extension.