Park and Pickup with Polycom

brandywinetech.com

I recently installed a system with Polycom 550's and want to take advantage of the 3 softkeys I have on those phones. I tried to think of a good way to emulate a key system since I was taking the customer away from an old Avaya system , what I cam up with was this ... I created 3 park orbits 801, 802 and 803 and add them to be monitored extension on all the extensions. This made them populate to the lines 2,3 and 4 respectively on the phones ,

items I was happy to discover ,

1- I could make a quasi line 1, line2, line 3 etc for them in sort of a key system style , using co1 co2 etc wouldn't work since I could only monitor 3 lines and they had around 30 phones .

2- I could use the *85 and it would automatically read me the extension the call got parked to

3- the BLF lights indicated on all phones a call was parked on an orbit

items I think we could improve to increase sales ..

1- I would like to be able to push the corresponding lit button to pickup the call rather than dial *86801 ... this would be a cleaner approach and would be nice since the customer's first instinct was to push the button to retrieve the call ..

which leads me to problem 2

2- if you push the button it calls the extension you used for the park orbit , if you forget to turn off voicemail it asks you to leave a VM for extension 801 ... this seems an unprofessional and makes the feature seem as a work around ...

so in a nutshell , can we create a raw extension type that for Park Orbits and can we make a way to allow those parked calls to be picked up by dialing them directly or using the buttons on the phone to retrieve them , it seems dialing extra digits is simple but customers coming away from key systems would be very happy to use this , especially considering the functionality is almost 80% there ..

y

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I recently installed a system with Polycom 550's and want to take advantage of the 3 softkeys I have on those phones. I tried to think of a good way to emulate a key system since I was taking the customer away from an old Avaya system , what I cam up with was this ... I created 3 park orbits 801, 802 and 803 and add them to be monitored extension on all the extensions. This made them populate to the lines 2,3 and 4 respectively on the phones ,

items I was happy to discover ,

1- I could make a quasi line 1, line2, line 3 etc for them in sort of a key system style , using co1 co2 etc wouldn't work since I could only monitor 3 lines and they had around 30 phones .

2- I could use the *85 and it would automatically read me the extension the call got parked to

3- the BLF lights indicated on all phones a call was parked on an orbit

items I think we could improve to increase sales ..

1- I would like to be able to push the corresponding lit button to pickup the call rather than dial *86801 ... this would be a cleaner approach and would be nice since the customer's first instinct was to push the button to retrieve the call ..

which leads me to problem 2

2- if you push the button it calls the extension you used for the park orbit , if you forget to turn off voicemail it asks you to leave a VM for extension 801 ... this seems an unprofessional and makes the feature seem as a work around ...

so in a nutshell , can we create a raw extension type that for Park Orbits and can we make a way to allow those parked calls to be picked up by dialing them directly or using the buttons on the phone to retrieve them , it seems dialing extra digits is simple but customers coming away from key systems would be very happy to use this , especially considering the functionality is almost 80% there ..

y

Hi;

it seems that a lot of these issues have been fixed in the latest versions of pbxnsip however, i have two problems;

1) It seems that i am not only monitoring the calls but any call that comes in to one of the extensions i am monitoring are ringing on my phone too.

2) I cannot park a call by just hitting the call park button.\

Number One issue is way more severe as the partners dont want the receptionist picking up calls that have been routed directly to their phones.

is there any way to toggle that setting?

pls advise

Hi;

it seems that a lot of these issues have been fixed in the latest versions of pbxnsip however, i have two problems;

1) It seems that i am not only monitoring the calls but any call that comes in to one of the extensions i am monitoring are ringing on my phone too.

2) I cannot park a call by just hitting the call park button.\

Number One issue is way more severe as the partners dont want the receptionist picking up calls that have been routed directly to their phones.

is there any way to toggle that setting?

pls advise

After reading into this further i found that there is supposed to be a global seeting "offer pickup" that can be turned on or off but i cannot find this setting...i have seen it before but do not know where i is! any help would be greatly appreciated!

After reading into this further i found that there is supposed to be a global seeting "offer pickup" that can be turned on or off but i cannot find this setting...i have seen it before but do not know where i is! any help would be greatly appreciated!

There is a setting called "offer_pickup" (see http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Global_Configuration_File). If it is set to "true" then the PBX does offer pickup functionality instead of speed dial. IMHO it is not good, because it implies a race condition where instead of calling a party you pick a party's incoming call up.