Have Extension that is Hot Desked into phone show up on phone display

Harvey

I am setting up a bunch of generic extensions to be used at desks where people will come in to hot desk.

We worked with Vodia support and got the hot desk feature working with Grandstream 2140s.

The question I have now is, when User A goes to HotDesk1 phone and sits down and does *70 + their extension + PIN, their phone is now ringing on HotDesk1 phone.  Works great.  However, the extension showing on the Grandstream phone is still "HotDesk1" rather than "Users A".  The customer would like to have "User A" displayed when that user logs into the HotDesk1 phone.

Any way to make this happen?  Would that be a setting on the Vodia PBX or the Grandstream phone?

Thank you.

Hot desking works completely independent from the phone type you are using. This should work on a analog terminal adapter as well as a top notch VoIP phone.

Did you try internal calls? Or does this happen on external calls? For external things can get complicated depending on what ANI rule is active, therefore I would check internal calls first.

Sorry, perhaps I did not explain myself properly.

The called ID presented works fine.  When dialing from phone that the extension is set up to hot desk on the external ANI should up fine.  And it shows up fine on internal calls.

What I am trying to figure out his how to change the display on the actual VoIP phone.  Basically, the person sitting at the hot desked phone wants to see their extension listed on the phone that they are logged in to.  Does that make more sense?

Oh - got it now. We so far had the idea to use the provisioning process to provide a better experience - however there are a few new problems with this approach that we need to address, for example devices that are not automatically provisioned and how to map button profiles onto those accounts.

But what we can do is to re-provision the phone and set the display name differently. This should work with many phones and solve most of the problem.

Sorry, not clear what you mean "It actually did update the display".  On the phones we have (Grandstream GXP2140s) the display on the phone screen is still showing the general extension that we provision on the phone.  Meaning the HotDesk1 phone has extension 9999 provisioned to it and when someone goes and hotdesks there, the HotDesk1 phone still shows account 9999 on the phone display.

Am I missing something?

Hmm - you did not set a label for the private line? What do you see on the Grandstream display? The PBX uses the "label" to control what you see on the screen, hopefully the Grandstream show the label content and not some Grandstream - controlled content. There are so many models it gets sometimes hard to have them all work the same way...