Call State Idle

jlumby

I had a end user that originally thought that they were dropping calls, however with some further investigation, I came to find out that if they wait long enough, the call would come back to life. During the dead period, I saw that the call state was listed as idle. What might cause this? It is so random, and infrequent, it might be very hard to duplicate, and/or catch in the act. I recently upgraded to 3.1.3044 and am not sure if this is related.

I had a end user that originally thought that they were dropping calls, however with some further investigation, I came to find out that if they wait long enough, the call would come back to life. During the dead period, I saw that the call state was listed as idle. What might cause this? It is so random, and infrequent, it might be very hard to duplicate, and/or catch in the act. I recently upgraded to 3.1.3044 and am not sure if this is related.

Idle is the state after creating the call object, but having no ringback yet. It is possible to stay in this state if the PSTN gateway does not signal a "ringing" yet. If you are using a ITSP and packets drop on the line, then it can be that the call stays "idle" for a relatively long time (BTW for that reason the PRACK SIP method was invented).

It is interesting because it was through an ITSP, and it happened in the middle of a call. I would have expected it at the beginning. The other interesting thing is other people were on the phone, at the same time, and they did not have any call quality issues.

It is interesting because it was through an ITSP, and it happened in the middle of a call. I would have expected it at the beginning. The other interesting thing is other people were on the phone, at the same time, and they did not have any call quality issues.

That's really strange. Maybe that call was technically never really in connected state? Or maybe there was a problem with a Re-INVITE.