GXP2130 1.0.11.35 firmware wont register

RichardDCG

I found this on all the GXP21XX handsets. They work on other systems (3CX, Asterisk, Grandstream UCM) but not Vodia. I flagged it up to Grandstream and had several long conversations with them and we weren't able to resolve it. It seems to be a real issue and if Vodia can't resolve it we'll have to move away from Vodia. 

I was under the impression Vodia supported Grandstream, the implication being they test against Grandstream beta firmware but this can't be the case

What version of the PBX are you on when you test this?

Are you testing the GAPS or just the normal manual provisioning of the phones to the PBX? Or is there something else that is not working?

We've had no customers complain about this, so rest assured this should be working. Are you following this doc https://doc.vodia.com/docs/pnp-grandstream to avoid any trail errors?

Moreover, we're fine tuning some of their phones at the moment.

It only happens on 1.0.11.35. Works fine on 1.0.11.16, 1.0.11.6 and previous. This happens on 67.0.1, 67, 67.0.2, 67.0.3 and 67.0.4. Handsets were provisioned from the Vodia server as usual. 

I would be surprised if the firmware would have such a fundamental change

So would I but the evidence is incontrovertible

We've had no customers complain about this, so rest assured this should be working

Yes it should be working...but the reality is it isn't

There's a feature in 1.0.11.35 we need for remote handset management. I've tried everything I can think of to resolve this including ending traces and syslog to Grandstream and talking to their firmware engineers. I'm going to have to move my customers to another system .

It's disappointing to hear comments such as

We've had no customers complain about this, so rest assured this should be working

from Vodia support. Shows little or no appreciation for their customers

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the "Reregister Before Expiration (in seconds)" was changed in that firmware — it's still a mystery to me how this parameter can have such a profound impact on the registration and why Grandstream would even change the behavior of this setting. 

• 2 weeks later...

No it wasn't changed...I've been working with grandstream developers on trying to resolve this for some weeks now and they can't get to the bottom of it.

"Reregister Before Expiration (in seconds)" is set to 0 as default on the fw in question and those before it. The issue relates to the GXP21XX series with fw 1.0.11.35 and 1.0.11.39 and only with Vodia. The exact same config on the handset works as expected with 3CX, Grandstream UCM, Freepbx, asterisk but never on Vodia

I've found that if I configure a handset manually, not using a template, then the registration holds. If I attempt to provision from a template then the registration is unstable. Must be something in the GXP21XX template that produces a dud config file

I've resolved this. Every system I've provisoned the handset from sets this value thus

<!--  Reregister Before Expiration (in seconds). Default is 0 second -->
    <P2330>0</P2330>

The vodia template however has

<!--  Reregister Before Expiration (in seconds). Default is 0 second -->
    <P2330>15</P2330>

Change the value from 15 to 0 in the template and it should work. I can't see how this has slipped through testing at Vodia...but it seems to have done.

and why Grandstream would even change the behavior of this setting. 

Grandstream didn't change the behaviour of the setting rather Vodia changed the value in the template from 0 to 15