Phantom calls in agent groups

Jeremiah

After increasing the time a call would stay on hold from 2 minutes to 10 minutes in an agent group, by increasing the ringing state, I am now getting phantom calls in that agent group. Once a call is on hold for around 3 minutes, the next available line on the phones will start ringing. Once they start ringing, if you try to answer the original call on the original line, the call is not there, but is now on the second line. Once the on hold call reaches 5 mins, the 1 line ringing disappears and only the second line rings. At 6 minutes, the 1st line starts ringing along with the 2nd line. This goes back and forth until the call reaches the timer threshold, which is set for 10 minutes. At any point after about the 4 minute mark, if the caller hangs up, the phones continue to ring and each phone has to hang up the call or the phones in that agent group will continue non stop ringing as if there was a call there. Just wondering how to go about resolving this. And saying a caller shouldnt be on hold for 2 or 3 minutes is not an answer. Alot of my pbx customers had issues with 2 minute disconnects and now they have issues with 3 minute phantom calls that are not there.

I assume the problem is that SIP phones cannot ring forever. Usually the phone stops ringing after a minute. The PBX also has a maximum duration where it lets a UA ring.

You'll see that when you look at the SIP trace. Either the phone sends a code like "487 Terminated" or the PBX sends a CANCEL to the phone.

Having a phone ring "forever" is not a good solution. Imagine you are the caller and your destination lets you hear ringback tone for two minutes. I believe 99.9 % of the callers would already hang up after 30 seconds.

I assume the problem is that SIP phones cannot ring forever. Usually the phone stops ringing after a minute. The PBX also has a maximum duration where it lets a UA ring.

You'll see that when you look at the SIP trace. Either the phone sends a code like "487 Terminated" or the PBX sends a CANCEL to the phone.

Having a phone ring "forever" is not a good solution. Imagine you are the caller and your destination lets you hear ringback tone for two minutes. I believe 99.9 % of the callers would already hang up after 30 seconds.

Alright. Disregard anything I said about the phones ringing after the caller hangs up. That is not the issue I am wondering about. My main question is what is with these fake calls ringing on the phones after someone has been on hold for more than 2 minutes? All the phones are Aastras. An agent group plays music and messages, not a ring back tone. These are not transfers to an extension, these are calls into an agent group. This notion that someone would not wait on hold for more than 2 minutes is ridiculous. Call Microsoft, Dell, or any number of companies and go to the tech queue. All I want is to not have fake phone calls ringing on a phone that is in an agent group and a call is in that agent group for more than 2 minutes. This is my question. 99.9% of my pbx customers asked why do, after 2 minutes, calls that are on hold get disconnected. Now that the 2 minute barrier is not there, now they ask why do extra calls start ringing in.

Alright. Disregard anything I said about the phones ringing after the caller hangs up. That is not the issue I am wondering about. My main question is what is with these fake calls ringing on the phones after someone has been on hold for more than 2 minutes? All the phones are Aastras. An agent group plays music and messages, not a ring back tone. These are not transfers to an extension, these are calls into an agent group. This notion that someone would not wait on hold for more than 2 minutes is ridiculous. Call Microsoft, Dell, or any number of companies and go to the tech queue. All I want is to not have fake phone calls ringing on a phone that is in an agent group and a call is in that agent group for more than 2 minutes. This is my question. 99.9% of my pbx customers asked why do, after 2 minutes, calls that are on hold get disconnected. Now that the 2 minute barrier is not there, now they ask why do extra calls start ringing in.

That sounds like the PBX believes it disconnected the call, the the phones don't. Then when they want to put the call off hold, they send a INVITE (a "Re-INVITE"), but for the PBX that looks like a new call.

Also, callers in the queue are technically (from a SIP point of view) not on hold, they are "waiting" (connected). If all agents are busy, logged out, on DND or whatever, then the caller will stay in the queue, even if it is 40 minutes. The one luring out of the queue and not getting connected for two minutes because there are phones ringing and then hang up on the ringing call, well that call has a problem. It is like an agent presses the cancel button on that incoming call.

What is the PBX supposed to do when a agent rejects a call? That is the question here. From the PBX perspective, there is no difference if a human being pushes a key on the phone or the phone itself rejects the call after a timeout.

Anyway, the solution is to use the redirection feature to escalate the call after some time, maybe one minute. For example, the call can get escalated into another queue (priority queue), to a cell phone, to the boss extension, or even just into a mailbox. But keeping the phone ringing for 40 minutes does not sound like an option to me.

Im not talking about a 40 minute on hold. I never said anything close to that. Im talking about a call waiting in an agent queue for 4-8 minutes. What you're saying is that pbxnsip cannot handle a call waiting in an agent queue for that period of time without going crazy? This isnt a perfect world. People have to wait on hold for periods of time. I do not want to do anything like escalate a call to an extension or have it go to a voicemail. If I did, I would have just done that. I want to know if Pbxnsip can handle having a call waiting in an agent queue for more than 4 minutes. If it can, then I would like to know how to do it. If pbxnsip cannot handle a phone ringing in a queue for any longer than 3 minutes without it having an issue, then just let me know and I can tell my pbx customers that they have to answer a phone before the 3 minute mark.

Im not talking about a 40 minute on hold. I never said anything close to that. Im talking about a call waiting in an agent queue for 4-8 minutes. What you're saying is that pbxnsip cannot handle a call waiting in an agent queue for that period of time without going crazy? This isnt a perfect world. People have to wait on hold for periods of time. I do not want to do anything like escalate a call to an extension or have it go to a voicemail. If I did, I would have just done that. I want to know if Pbxnsip can handle having a call waiting in an agent queue for more than 4 minutes. If it can, then I would like to know how to do it. If pbxnsip cannot handle a phone ringing in a queue for any longer than 3 minutes without it having an issue, then just let me know and I can tell my pbx customers that they have to answer a phone before the 3 minute mark.

Not sure whether we are on the same page here. The point 'pbxnsip' was trying to make is that if all agents are busy, then the caller will wait hearing the music (as if they called Dell, Microsoft and other companies :D support lines). But let's say, one of the agents is free and PBX sends call to that agent, agent's phone starts ringing but the agent never picks up for 2-3 minutes. Then the phone sends back some error message. In this case, PBX cannot differentiate whether the agent rejected the call by pressing 'cancel/reject' button or the phone sent the error message after the timeout.

• 1 year later...

The PBX should connect the call immediately internally while agents are located. How long this takes should not matter. Every pbx system in existence does this except yours. There should be no timeout. When is this bug going to be fixed. All I want is answer.

Jer, from what you have said, I also believe that this is a bug and needs to be fixed. Experienced these ghost calls once on the free version of a particular asterisk pbx. Gosh this can be annoying! I do hope that Snom and pbxnsip will place all efforts into correcting all bugs on this system as I intend to market this product very soon.