Codec Preference

Worm78

I have a CS 410 that has ocassional one way audio issues. Loss of incoming audio. It picks back up 3-6 seconds later. No other quality issues. It happens on Snom 300 and Xlite phones. The cs410 device is currently public to the internet on a business dsl connection.

Provider is Teliax. They suggest the following four codecs.

G.711u (µlaw) - 80Kbps G.729a - 25Kbps GSM - 30Kbps G.726 - 50Kbps

The PBX which is running software 3.0.0.2992 (Linux) I have a section under the phones and under the trunk to set a codec preference. Question is how do I put the codec inthe field?

G.711U or G711U and so on....

My thought is try a few different codecs between the phones and pbx, and the pbx and the sip provider. Kinda out of ideas at this point.

I looked at the link below but this version has a add / remove column.

http://87.230.9.185/index.php?title=Trunk_...p;printable=yes

The other issue is if I do try either version of entering the data as above I get a busy signal when I call in. My guess is I had it in incorrectly.

Anyone using Teliax and/or Xlite phones suggest a certain codec?

Should I go ahead and setup a codec for the local side to each extension as well?

I visited this issue a while back at this post.

http://forum.pbxnsip.com/index.php?showtopic=1194&st=20

• 2 weeks later...
What are the chances for an upgrade? Maybe the problem is already "automatically" fixed in a newer version.

I did the update to 3143.

Afterwards the incoming calls worked but outgoing calls did not. Here is what I received in the log when trying to call out.

INVITE Response 404 Not Found: Terminate 887c3383@pbx

It would change the number in front of @pbx of course. I checked all the dial plans and such. Trunks looked up and working.

I didn't work on it all too much as I had some incoming DID lines not working as well. I spent a lot of time on the incoming issue first and come to find out a switch was down due to a patch cable being used by someone there on site. He needed a cable and borrowed one and it was the same time I was troubleshooting for 45 minutes.

My method was I dumped the configuration files. Upgraded the PBX and restored the config files. I did noticed I now had duplicate trunks listed under dial plans when selecting a trunk in the drop down. Only one trunk was visible under trunk settings. Well besides the default pstn trunk.

Should I have not restored settings? I also noticed it handles the alias number a bit different. It adds the number to the back of the account. I only have two DID lines and they both worked after I solved the missing patch cable mystery.

Side note. On the lan side i found the router was port forwarding all ports from 20,000-60,000 as RDP. I changed this to port 3389 for now. This is lan side only and the 410 has no lan gateway. The pbx has its own static IP. Just wondering if this could have caused the one way audio issue. I also updated that router wgr614 v9 to the latest firmware while onsite.

I will attempt another upgrade after I hear back and can schedule more downtime.

Everything is restored to original and working for now.

I did the update to 3143.

Afterwards the incoming calls worked but outgoing calls did not. Here is what I received in the log when trying to call out.

INVITE Response 404 Not Found: Terminate 887c3383@pbx

It would change the number in front of @pbx of course. I checked all the dial plans and such. Trunks looked up and working.

I didn't work on it all too much as I had some incoming DID lines not working as well. I spent a lot of time on the incoming issue first and come to find out a switch was down due to a patch cable being used by someone there on site. He needed a cable and borrowed one and it was the same time I was troubleshooting for 45 minutes.

My method was I dumped the configuration files. Upgraded the PBX and restored the config files. I did noticed I now had duplicate trunks listed under dial plans when selecting a trunk in the drop down. Only one trunk was visible under trunk settings. Well besides the default pstn trunk.

Should I have not restored settings? I also noticed it handles the alias number a bit different. It adds the number to the back of the account. I only have two DID lines and they both worked after I solved the missing patch cable mystery.

Side note. On the lan side i found the router was port forwarding all ports from 20,000-60,000 as RDP. I changed this to port 3389 for now. This is lan side only and the 410 has no lan gateway. The pbx has its own static IP. Just wondering if this could have caused the one way audio issue. I also updated that router wgr614 v9 to the latest firmware while onsite.

I will attempt another upgrade after I hear back and can schedule more downtime.

Usually the problem is that the 3.2 version tries to be smart and interpret numbers if you set the country code. One question is how many digits you are using for national calls (10/11 digits). Then in the dial plan, in USA you must use 10 digits always. If you use the old pattern 1* you probably run into problems.

That fixed the dial out issue. I removed the area and country code and outboundstarted working. We are now on the latest version.

I made 5 calls of 10-15 minutes to my cell phone and placed the cell phone in front of a speaker for constant noise, had no cut outs. I also did this from multiple computers running xlite. Six calls later the following day the user had a cut out while calling a long distance number. It happened 2 minutes into the call and lasted 10 seconds. You can hear a dead silence come on when on the call. The local user just delays a bit so the customer on the other end doesn't realize he can't be heard.

Any other ideas?

That fixed the dial out issue. I removed the area and country code and outboundstarted working. We are now on the latest version.

I made 5 calls of 10-15 minutes to my cell phone and placed the cell phone in front of a speaker for constant noise, had no cut outs. I also did this from multiple computers running xlite. Six calls later the following day the user had a cut out while calling a long distance number. It happened 2 minutes into the call and lasted 10 seconds. You can hear a dead silence come on when on the call. The local user just delays a bit so the customer on the other end doesn't realize he can't be heard.

Any other ideas?

Is this one instance or it is happening to all long distance calls? It would be that the PC running x-lite is busy doing something after 2 minutes into the call.

Is this one instance or it is happening to all long distance calls? It would be that the PC running x-lite is busy doing something after 2 minutes into the call.

It seems to be happening randomly all the time. I have the user now tracking out going / incoming, long distance / local and so on. I also just setup the email notification on the new version.

The time it happens during the call is also random. It is usally in the first or 3rd minute.

It seems to be happening randomly all the time. I have the user now tracking out going / incoming, long distance / local and so on. I also just setup the email notification on the new version.

The time it happens during the call is also random. It is usally in the first or 3rd minute.

So far it seems to be on long distance only. Any ideas?

Since it is random and long distance only, I would attribute the issue to the bandwidth/QoS of the network (end-to-end). Maybe it is good to try some QoS tools http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Troubles...blems#QoS_Tools.

I found out it is local as well. Not local as in house on the lan, but in the same area code. I ran an MTR trace on each trunk available. I found the one I was using was getting packetloss of 2-3% on a 15 minute scan. I switched to a new trunk from the same ITSP. I also forced the GSM codec instead of using 711. Internal and on trunk. Any other ideas? I plan on running the QOS items tomorrow afternoon.

I caught the issue happening while using wireshark. I started a call, opened Wireshark and went about my business for the day. 14 minutes in I was attempting to go to the palladion.net website to download the QOS tools suggested. The silence issue is visible in the capture about 80% of the way down. It appears is has soemthing to do with traffic routing with the website I hit. I'm no expert. Can I get a wireshark expert to take a look?

Here is a link to the file. It was too big to attach.

LINK

I also noticed the netgear router had SIP ALG enabled. I disbaled this just in case it is messing with the softphones on the lan side.

I caught the issue happening while using wireshark. I started a call, opened Wireshark and went about my business for the day. 14 minutes in I was attempting to go to the palladion.net website to download the QOS tools suggested. The silence issue is visible in the capture about 80% of the way down. It appears is has soemthing to do with traffic routing with the website I hit. I'm no expert. Can I get a wireshark expert to take a look?

Here is a link to the file. It was too big to attach.

LINK

I also noticed the netgear router had SIP ALG enabled. I disbaled this just in case it is messing with the softphones on the lan side.

The attached pcap trace shows pretty much only 1 way audio packets (192.168.10.200 to .63). Also, since there is the SIP signaling packets (INVITE, BYE etc) are not captured in this trace, wireshark has difficult analyzing the call.

.200 is the pbx and .63 was my pc which x lite was running on. Is there something I need to do with wire shark differently?

If you start the wireshark capturing before you make the call and stop it after you hung up, then it will record the signaling packets too. Then it is easier do some analysis.

• 4 weeks later...

Issue Resolved:

Cable modem had ARP Storm detection enabled. This caused a 5-10 second period of one way audio. Changed cable modems and issue went away. Reinstalled and provider turned setting off and issue went away.

This was an old Zenith cable modem.

Thanks,

Brian

:rolleyes:

Issue Resolved:

Cable modem had ARP Storm detection enabled. This caused a 5-10 second period of one way audio. Changed cable modems and issue went away. Reinstalled and provider turned setting off and issue went away.

This was an old Zenith cable modem.

Thanks,

Brian

:rolleyes:

Glad to know the problem is resolved!! (I told you it is not the PBX.. :D)