JAN: Communicator not ringing with Deskphone when call comes in.

Tim Rheault

Jan or anyone that can help,

I work with Eric and I know you were helping him troubleshoot some Exchange connectivity issues we were having. We seem to have solved the issues thanks to your last post regarding using "9999" instead of "7" in the Exchange trunk.

Now we've moved onto OCS connectivity and are able to make calls to external numbers using Communicator.

The last issue we are having is calls ringing simultaneously on Communicator when a call comes in.

I've attached screen caps and a log file with a test call.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Also, is it possible to initiate a call from Communicator using the deskphone? How is this done?

Thanks for the assitance in advance.

-t

Incoming_Call_w_no_Communicator_Ring.txt

post-435-1239824092_thumb.jpg

post-435-1239824100_thumb.jpg

post-435-1239824130_thumb.jpg

post-435-1239824149_thumb.jpg

post-435-1239824154_thumb.jpg

post-435-1239824160_thumb.jpg

Hi Tim,

please add a leading plus in front of you number at the static registration in pbxnsip and at the tel URI at the OCS user account Enterprise Voice settings.

Should look like:

1. sip:+2007@ocsmediationserver.domain.xx;transport=tcp

2. tel:+2007

OCS Mediation Server needs the E.164 format with the leading +

As my example shows, you dont need to provide a real and complete international DID number with national digits etc. , but you need the plus!

Additionally please start logging at the mediation server before testing and Analyze the Log in OCS Snooper Tool!

Regards, :)

Jan

Jan,

That worked!!!! You're amazing!

New problem... We can't redirect the incoming calls to the deskphones.

For some reason, in Communicator > Options > Phones (see Communicator Settings.jpg) the option to enter the phone numbers is greyed out, which means it's pulling from AD. But where is it pulling from?

We don't seem to have the number entered anywhere in AD (see AD-General.jpg & AD-Telephones.jpg) None of the numbers in AD pertain to the "Work Phone" setting in Communicator Phone Options (see Communicator Settings.jpg).

Where does this "Work Phone" setting pull from in AD?

Also, I notice that "Enable integration with your phone system" is greyed out. How do we enable this?

Thanks in advance,

-t

Hi Tim,

please add a leading plus in front of you number at the static registration in pbxnsip and at the tel URI at the OCS user account Enterprise Voice settings.

Should look like:

1. sip:+2007@ocsmediationserver.domain.xx;transport=tcp

2. tel:+2007

OCS Mediation Server needs the E.164 format with the leading +

As my example shows, you dont need to provide a real and complete international DID number with national digits etc. , but you need the plus!

Additionally please start logging at the mediation server before testing and Analyze the Log in OCS Snooper Tool!

Regards, :)

Jan

post-435-1239835487_thumb.jpg

post-435-1239835493_thumb.jpg

post-435-1239835498_thumb.jpg

Hi Tim,

you are welcome! :) Thanks for your compliment. OCS / Exchange / VoIP / pbxnsip / snom / AD / DNS / ISA etc. are just my "bread-and-butter" :)

Please download, install and run OCS Best Practice Analyzer. from MS download center.

When you run it the first time, please make sure you run it as Administrator and that you check for updates (inside the tool) before your first analyze run. The update step will download the latest info's about OCS R2 into the BPA. You run R2, don't you?

Beside a lot of warnings and errors, the report results will warn you about telephone numbers that could not be "normalized". The Report will guide you to a file which contains all the "wrong" formatted numbers in your Active Directory.

I guess you will see here all of the bussiness numbers starting with (301)... and the Mobile Numbers.

Please update me about the results.

Regards,

Jan

Jan,

I ran the BPA scan and didn't get any major warnings. I couldn't find any sections where normalization rules were specified.

We're still having problems answering calls from Communicator to the desk phones. I can send you the BPA scan xml if you want to take a look and see if you find anything questionable.

Also, is it possible to dial a contact from Communicator to the deskphone?

Thanks in advance,

-t

PS I think we're going to go with Communicator Phone Edition phones, but for the time being it'd be nice to get it working with pbxnsip.

Hi Tim,

you are welcome! :) Thanks for your compliment. OCS / Exchange / VoIP / pbxnsip / snom / AD / DNS / ISA etc. are just my "bread-and-butter" :)

Please download, install and run OCS Best Practice Analyzer. from MS download center.

When you run it the first time, please make sure you run it as Administrator and that you check for updates (inside the tool) before your first analyze run. The update step will download the latest info's about OCS R2 into the BPA. You run R2, don't you?

Beside a lot of warnings and errors, the report results will warn you about telephone numbers that could not be "normalized". The Report will guide you to a file which contains all the "wrong" formatted numbers in your Active Directory.

I guess you will see here all of the bussiness numbers starting with (301)... and the Mobile Numbers.

Please update me about the results.

Regards,

Jan

Hello Tim, :)

please carefully check / filter the OCS Event log in the event viewer for Event-ID 21034

You should find a lot of entries telling:

X total numbers failed to normalize. They are listed in the text file: 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2\Web Components\Address Book Files\Files\Invalid_AD_Phone_Numbers.txt'

Cause: One or more phone number attributes in Active Directory contained text that could not be normalized. Normalization rules are contained in the optional Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt file located in the output location or in the generic rules built into Address Book Server. Refer to the documentation for a description of the built-in generic normalization rules. Use the ABServer -dumpRules command to see all the rules that Address Book Server is currently configured with.

Resolution:

Either create a Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt file in the output location and make sure it covers all cases found in your Active Directory deployment or fix the invalid phone number(s) in the Active Directory record(s).

I am sure the BPA report has had related warnings on that events. Please tell me about your findings.

Regarding your other topics: yes all that you asked for is possible, but... :)

It is a long story, with pros and cons and a lot of different approaches... I explained one here in another post.

Please excuse that I can't go into all details here, it would be to much to write...

I think we're going to go with Communicator Phone Edition phones,

Are you sure, you are aware of the headaches that Microsoft Office Communicator Phone Experience Device (Yes it is the official product name :) short term MS MOCPED )phones can cause to your colleagues and especially to you or Eric??? :););) Please be careful with that! If you think this is a must have, I strongly recommend you to evaluate and test a lot, also with your team!

Regards,

Jan

Jan,

We seemed to have fixed the Address book issue. Thanks you so much for your help!

I'm comfused as to Communicator controlling our IP Phones (mainly answering and making calls on the deskphone, by clicking buttons in Communicator or Outlook).

We were under the impression that this was all doable, with our current setup of OCS & pbxnsip. Is this not the case?

Do we need an RCC Server with pbxnsip to control the calls, or is this negated because pbxnsip is a native SIP phone system???

With regards to the OCS Phones, we're going to do some internal testing first before we go ahead and purchase and switch everyone, but now I'm a bit worried.

Could you briefly go into the concerns you have with everyone using OCS Phones?

-t

Hello Tim, :)

please carefully check / filter the OCS Event log in the event viewer for Event-ID 21034

You should find a lot of entries telling:

I am sure the BPA report has had related warnings on that events. Please tell me about your findings.

Regarding your other topics: yes all that you asked for is possible, but... :(

It is a long story, with pros and cons and a lot of different approaches... I explained one here in another post.

Please excuse that I can't go into all details here, it would be to much to write...

Are you sure, you are aware of the headaches that Microsoft Office Communicator Phone Experience Device (Yes it is the official product name :) short term MS MOCPED )phones can cause to your colleagues and especially to you or Eric??? :);):) Please be careful with that! If you think this is a must have, I strongly recommend you to evaluate and test a lot, also with your team!

Regards,

Jan