LED status on cell calls

Mads Mortensen

I would like to see a LED status on cell calls.

E.g. if I forward my direct number (DDI / local ext.) to my cell, and a call is coming in (and is forwarded to my cell) the busy LED will light on the phones which have status LED on my number activated, as long as I am talking(with the forwarded call)

We are meeting this demand more & more from the customers, as several other vendors are offering the function.

Any ideas when it will be possible to have this function ??

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see a LED status on cell calls.

E.g. if I forward my direct number (DDI / local ext.) to my cell, and a call is coming in (and is forwarded to my cell) the busy LED will light on the phones which have status LED on my number activated, as long as I am talking(with the forwarded call)

We are meeting this demand more & more from the customers, as several other vendors are offering the function.

Any ideas when it will be possible to have this function ??

At the moment is it a little bit "foggy" if we should treat such cell phone calls as trunk calls or as extension calls. So far those calls were trunk calls (like a stupid redirect), but it seems more and more than trunk calls must be also be extension calls. As we are cleaning this area up in version 4, that will be a lot cleaner.

At the moment is it a little bit "foggy" if we should treat such cell phone calls as trunk calls or as extension calls. So far those calls were trunk calls (like a stupid redirect), but it seems more and more than trunk calls must be also be extension calls. As we are cleaning this area up in version 4, that will be a lot cleaner.

That is a good idea.

I thot mobile phone are handled pretty good in pbxnsip but better ideas keep being incorporated. thats good!

matt

Sounds promising... For now I solve some requested feature by connecting a sub-PBX (3CX) registered as an extension on the pbxnsip and forwarding the calls to my mobile. This has the advantage, that as long the cell-call lasts, my extension is busy and the next incoming call is hold in a queue. As soon as my cellphone is free, the next call is forwarded to it.

So the question is: When the V4 can be expected approximately? Will it provide hunt-group calls be also routed to cellphones?

Regards,

Lucas

Sounds promising... For now I solve some requested feature by connecting a sub-PBX (3CX) registered as an extension on the pbxnsip and forwarding the calls to my mobile. This has the advantage, that as long the cell-call lasts, my extension is busy and the next incoming call is hold in a queue. As soon as my cellphone is free, the next call is forwarded to it.

So the question is: When the V4 can be expected approximately? Will it provide hunt-group calls be also routed to cellphones?

Regards,

Lucas

Lucas,

You are actually setting up a complete other 3cx ip pbx to do this? wow.

seems like maintaining both systems would be a bit...

matt

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Old thread I know, but I want to know if this is possible now in snom ONE.

Can the pbx show presence for a user that is talking on his mobile phone so that his collegues can see when he is busy in the phone?

We have really big demand for this and most hosted systems have it.

Thanks,

Jim

Well, now it does not make a difference if the call went to the extension on a SIP phone or on a cell phone. We also added the feature so that users can toggle between their cell phone and their SIP phone. E.g. when you are talking to someone in the office and you feel the need to leave the room, you can put the cell phone button on your SIP device and transfer the call to the cell phone (one push of the button); then later when you are back you can pick the call up from the cell phone and continue on the desktop phone.

Well, now it does not make a difference if the call went to the extension on a SIP phone or on a cell phone.

So we can offer our customers presence for mobile users? This sounds great!

How about outgoing calls from mobile phones, can we send them through the pbx to get presence also when the mobile phone has started the call? I presume you have to send some more info than the phone number you want to call to the pbx, how do we do this?

Thanks and regards,

So we can offer our customers presence for mobile users? This sounds great!

I would not use the word presence. Presence is more like "I am out for lunch" type of information; but what you can see on the PBX is that a user/extension is on a phone call.

How about outgoing calls from mobile phones, can we send them through the pbx to get presence also when the mobile phone has started the call? I presume you have to send some more info than the phone number you want to call to the pbx, how do we do this?

Of course this only works if the call goes through the PBX. If a user takes the cell phone and (directly) calls someone through the cell phone network, there is no way the PBX could be aware about this. But when the cell phone user makes a call through the PBX (using the DISA service), then the PBX will show that this user is in a call.

...when the cell phone user makes a call through the PBX (using the DISA service), then the PBX will show that this user is in a call.

OK, so what is the best way to use DISA? As I understand you can use the Virtual Assistant or a Calling Card account.

We are partners with Tele2 and they can add signs to the calls one make from a mobile phone (number to pbx, PIN code etc.) to make it possible to dial through the pbx using any simple GSM phone just sending the number you want to call, Tele2 adds the rest. I just want to know what to tell them to add to make the best DISA solution with snom ONE.

So far I have only tried to add the whole string manually on the mobile phone (pbx no + p + account no + # + PIN + # + called no) and this works but takes some time. It also has the disadvantage that you hear some parts of the messages that come from the pbx. Is it possible to make a quicker procedure and get rid of the massages?

And the number that is being showed for the called party is always the trunk number, can we show the extension number instead?

Sorry for many questions, I have tried using the manual and wiki but didn't find all answers there.

Thanks,

Did not understand clearly what you are asking. But, using virtual assistant, you can dial any outbound number as if you are dialing it from your extension. Basically, associate the cell phone number with any extension (Extension's Redirection page). Then when that cell phones calls the PBX, it offers a menu with options. One of the options is ".. to place an outbound call...".

We we say cell phone, it need not be GSM phone. It can be any number. Bottom line is that PBX need to see that number as the caller-id so that PBX can match it to an extension.

Did not understand clearly what you are asking. But, using virtual assistant, you can dial any outbound number as if you are dialing it from your extension. Basically, associate the cell phone number with any extension (Extension's Redirection page). Then when that cell phones calls the PBX, it offers a menu with options. One of the options is ".. to place an outbound call...".

We we say cell phone, it need not be GSM phone. It can be any number. Bottom line is that PBX need to see that number as the caller-id so that PBX can match it to an extension.

The virtual assistant is only offered when calling an auto attendant - it would be great if it was also offered when calling your extension/DID direct. Some clients don't have auto attendandts and can't use this virtual assistant.

Also, the virtual assistant is only offered if the PBX can see your cell's caller id - some cells have private caller id and the PBX can't see it so the virtual assistant is not offered - make it so it's an option in the users mailbox - user logs into mailbox from any telephone number and then can make an outbound call.

OK, so what is the best way to use DISA? As I understand you can use the Virtual Assistant or a Calling Card account.

We are partners with Tele2 and they can add signs to the calls one make from a mobile phone (number to pbx, PIN code etc.) to make it possible to dial through the pbx using any simple GSM phone just sending the number you want to call, Tele2 adds the rest. I just want to know what to tell them to add to make the best DISA solution with snom ONE.

So far I have only tried to add the whole string manually on the mobile phone (pbx no + p + account no + # + PIN + # + called no) and this works but takes some time. It also has the disadvantage that you hear some parts of the messages that come from the pbx. Is it possible to make a quicker procedure and get rid of the massages?

And the number that is being showed for the called party is always the trunk number, can we show the extension number instead?

Sorry for many questions, I have tried using the manual and wiki but didn't find all answers there.

Whow that is actually very cool. DTMF is for sure not the best way to do this. How flexible are they? Can they put the additional information into the Request-URI or the P-Called-Party-ID? Does the cell phone have to have some kind of "outbound number" for this?

I dont think the PBX can do this in a clean way right now. But this would be a very cool feature and if we make a code change for this, we should make sure it is as flexible as possible.

Hello,

we use the DISA-Feature every day on all our windows mobile phones. There is a excellent Software, called Magicall (http://www.mobiion.com/magicall.html), so we never have to care about DTMF-Dialling, PIN and more. When we dial a number with the mobile phone (regardless if number is manual entered, call-back from call-history or from contacts) Magicall cares about dialling into the pbx with caller-id enabled only for that call, pbx detects the mobile phone, grants access, so the mobile phone has to dial only "1" for the outside line and dialling the destination number with DTMF, followed by '#'. Of course, the mobile phone user doesn't have to care about this at all. Just have to wait a few seconds upon this fully automatic dialling in the background is finished and the call is established. It works perfect!

Another (and much more efficient) way would be "block-dialling", also called overlap-dialling (https://www.vc.dfn.de/en/video-conferencing/ways-of-access/isdn.html). A few years ago, a german Least-Cost-Provides offered the following service and I'm sure the PBX could do this too in future. You just call the access phone number of the provider (or your pbx), directly add the destination phone number and then press 'dial' on your Mobile phone. For example: Access phone number of the provider / your PBX is +49 211 1234 and destination number you want to be conneted to is 0897654321, so you dial +4921112340897654321. The service provider recognized your mobile phone (and charges your prepaid-account), gets the digits '0897654321' (like DDI-dialling) and connects directly to the destination number. No greeting, no PIN and(!) no answer of the call before destination number is answering. Once the destination number is answering, the pbx answers the mobile call and put both calls together. If not, PBX does not answer the call thus you don't have to pay for this call at all. Very nice, if you call from abroad. Annoying if you are charged for every call to the provider/pbx, even the destination number is not answering afterwards.

Unfortunately this service-provider stopped this great service long time ago. But I think that's not a huge work to do this with the PBX. For now I can dial any 'long DDI' (this works for domestic calls with at least 30 digits here in germany). Any such long number is detected infull length the SIP-Trace, so I is just a question of programming to get this 'DDI-information' and forward it to the DISA-Service for further processing.

Whow that is actually very cool. DTMF is for sure not the best way to do this. How flexible are they? Can they put the additional information into the Request-URI or the P-Called-Party-ID? Does the cell phone have to have some kind of "outbound number" for this?

I dont think the PBX can do this in a clean way right now. But this would be a very cool feature and if we make a code change for this, we should make sure it is as flexible as possible.

You are right, they do not do it with DTMF but whith Request-URI. Here is an example:

A no (mobile phone): 0701234567

B no (called no): 0890510

Will be routed to the pbx like this (500 = prefix for mobile extension):

A no: 0701234567 (from uri sip:0701234567@1.2.3.4:5060)

B no: 5000890510 (request uri sip:5000890510@4.3.2.1:5060)

The pbx should then strip the 500 prefix and route the call to it's destination showing correct caller no based on extension connected to cell phone that is calling. And of course show the extension as busy on phone as long as the call lasts.

If you are interested in making this work I can send you the full technical specification from Tele2.

Regards,

Will be routed to the pbx like this (500 = prefix for mobile extension):

A no: 0701234567 (from uri sip:0701234567@1.2.3.4:5060)

B no: 5000890510 (request uri sip:5000890510@4.3.2.1:5060)

Well if you trust the trunk, then you probably dont even need the 500 prefix? When the cell phone number is already associated with the 500 account, then this is implicit. Maybe the rule "if the called number is not a local resource, then use the dial plan to call it"?

Well if you trust the trunk, then you probably dont even need the 500 prefix? When the cell phone number is already associated with the 500 account, then this is implicit. Maybe the rule "if the called number is not a local resource, then use the dial plan to call it"?

OK, would this be possible to do now then with configuration changes of the pbx or is it something that can be made possible in coming versions?

How about busy status for the calling extension, will it show as busy (which is the topic of this post ;) )?

Well it would require a code change in the area where the trunk has this "assume call comes from user". The PBX would automatically fill in the account if the cell phone user there if the domain trust the caller-ID and the dialled number is not a local resource.

I guess we need to test this in "real life", maybe you are willing to try a build (which OS?)...

Ok, now we have it activated, here is the log of a call.

0709355940 = My mobile phone

050118278 = Called number

C945 = Prefix that Tele2 adds (I told them not to use a prefix and they could remove it from the Request-URI but not from the To: part).

Is there any way we can configure the pbx to ignore the To: field and route the call according to Request-URI?

Regards,

Jim

log.txt