Frustrating problem when caller pressing a key.

Hello,

One of our customers is frustrated about the following:

- When calling extension e.g. 100 you hear "This is the mailbox of"... while saying this, pressing * stops the mailbox, re-dial solves the problem.

- When redirected from an IVR node to the mailbox of e.g. 100 pressing any key stops playing the message and re-dialing is needed (you hear nothing and can press whatever you like).

- When you have an AA which has got no user input (only redirection after timeout) pressing a key stops the AA (nothing is heared, timeout is not triggered).

- In IVR node when no DTMF is set, pressing a key stops the IVR node (you hear nothing, and you can press whatever you like but... nothing happenes, time out is not triggered) re-dialing is needed.

- When calling to someones mailbox something like "Please leave your message after the tone" is played AFTER the welcome message... while normal users say this in their welcome message, where could it be disabled?

Hope PBXnSIP will take a look at this.

Regards,

Leon Meijer

- When calling extension e.g. 100 you hear "This is the mailbox of"... while saying this, pressing * stops the mailbox, re-dial solves the problem.

Well, how would you let the user log into his mailbox, for example when calling from a PSTN line into his mailbox? There needs to be a way to stop the annoucement and ask for the PIN authorization.

- When redirected from an IVR node to the mailbox of e.g. 100 pressing any key stops playing the message and re-dialing is needed (you hear nothing and can press whatever you like).

You mean when the IVR node did not consume the extra input?

- When you have an AA which has got no user input (only redirection after timeout) pressing a key stops the AA (nothing is heared, timeout is not triggered).

The timeout is used to deal with callers that don't have DTMF (grandma telephones). When the user presses something, the timeout gets a lot longer, as there was a "sign of life". The user can always press star to correct the input and start all over again.

- In IVR node when no DTMF is set, pressing a key stops the IVR node (you hear nothing, and you can press whatever you like but... nothing happenes, time out is not triggered) re-dialing is needed.

Yea, for pure annoucements that can be annoying. The PBX pay attention to user input, even if it may not do so in certain situations. The workaround is to use the input and move on to the next IVR node, just to avoid the annoyance.

- When calling to someones mailbox something like "Please leave your message after the tone" is played AFTER the welcome message... while normal users say this in their welcome message, where could it be disabled?

There is a setting for this on the domain level, just above the camp on flag. If has the meaningful name "Mailbox Explanation Prompt".

Well, how would you let the user log into his mailbox, for example when calling from a PSTN line into his mailbox? There needs to be a way to stop the annoucement and ask for the PIN authorization.

Only login when the key to login is pressed (I thought this was? 5 ?) and then say "Please enter your code" now I hear no announcement that asks me the code... (never heard that prompt, but I can login with the code).

You mean when the IVR node did not consume the extra input?

While you hear this is the mailbox of (or welcome message) you can press something and the message stops...

The timeout is used to deal with callers that don't have DTMF (grandma telephones). When the user presses something, the timeout gets a lot longer, as there was a "sign of life". The user can always press star to correct the input and start all over again.

I understand this, but I want an AA to only handle user input which is set in the edit boes (and the timeout) btw, how to configure the aa to go to an extension when pressing * or # ? (e.g. * -> 100 and # -> 101)?

How to create an IVR node which only checks the SOAP URL for an extension to route the call to, ignoring ALL input?

We don't want our users to be able to have input in the IVR node, it only needs to get the soap URL which checks something in a MySQL database and then returns the correct extension number to the PBX.

When leaving the DTMF blank and set a time out, then the user presses a key, the IVR is stopping instead of ignoring that input and following the soap.

Only login when the key to login is pressed (I thought this was? 5 ?) and then say "Please enter your code" now I hear no announcement that asks me the code... (never heard that prompt, but I can login with the code).

Well, you can press any key... * is to stop the annoucement, and 0-9 just starts with the entering on the PIN. Maybe it would make sense that after entering the wrong PIN, the mailbox goes back annoucing the mailbox, instead of asking for the PIN again.

I understand this, but I want an AA to only handle user input which is set in the edit boes (and the timeout) btw, how to configure the aa to go to an extension when pressing * or # ? (e.g. * -> 100 and # -> 101)?

Maybe we should just add an option that disables the * function. I don't know, but IMHO the PBX should react to any kind of user input. If there is a use case of someone entering the AA, then pressing just one key and the PSTN gateway doe snot detect ths hangup signal, then we are talking about a case that needs to be addressed.

How to create an IVR node which only checks the SOAP URL for an extension to route the call to, ignoring ALL input?

We don't want our users to be able to have input in the IVR node, it only needs to get the soap URL which checks something in a MySQL database and then returns the correct extension number to the PBX.

When leaving the DTMF blank and set a time out, then the user presses a key, the IVR is stopping instead of ignoring that input and following the soap.

Maybe we should make our life easier and just have a SOAP request that reports ANY kind of input, complete or not and wait for the answer from the SOAP server if the audio should go on or not (and maybe what audio file to play).

Well, you can press any key... * is to stop the annoucement, and 0-9 just starts with the entering on the PIN. Maybe it would make sense that after entering the wrong PIN, the mailbox goes back annoucing the mailbox, instead of asking for the PIN again.

Maybe we should just add an option that disables the * function. I don't know, but IMHO the PBX should react to any kind of user input. If there is a use case of someone entering the AA, then pressing just one key and the PSTN gateway doe snot detect ths hangup signal, then we are talking about a case that needs to be addressed.

Maybe we should make our life easier and just have a SOAP request that reports ANY kind of input, complete or not and wait for the answer from the SOAP server if the audio should go on or not (and maybe what audio file to play).

Problems with the AA I have is.. when calling it, I have 2 keys set:

key 1: goto extension 100

key 2: goto extension 101

when the users presses 3, the PBX announces This extension number does not exist or somethimes it keeps silence, what I want is, configure an AA so, that it would only respont to the keys that are set in the edit boxes, and be able to configure key # and key * eg. "Press * or # to go to the privious menu"and then set:

key *: goto AA 81 (or an extension)

For support press #

key #: goto AA 82.

Something like that.

I think having a SOAP Request would be great.

Problems with the AA I have is.. when calling it, I have 2 keys set:

key 1: goto extension 100

key 2: goto extension 101

when the users presses 3, the PBX announces This extension number does not exist or somethimes it keeps silence, what I want is, configure an AA so, that it would only respont to the keys that are set in the edit boxes, and be able to configure key # and key * eg. "Press * or # to go to the privious menu"and then set:

key *: goto AA 81 (or an extension)

You can put * into the extensions that cannot be dialled; then the PBX stays silent until a timeout and says this extension number does not exist. IMHO that is absolutely reasonable. The timeout is neccessary because customers don't want "directory attacks" where callers try to find out what extensions exist on the PBX.

For support press #

key #: goto AA 82.

Something like that.

Sorry, but pound has the meaning of "enter, confirm". If we allow that this becomes a direct destination, this will screw a lot of stuff up; and I believe that this would make it confusing the the caller...

• 2 weeks later...
You can put * into the extensions that cannot be dialled; then the PBX stays silent until a timeout and says this extension number does not exist. IMHO that is absolutely reasonable. The timeout is neccessary because customers don't want "directory attacks" where callers try to find out what extensions exist on the PBX.

Sorry, but pound has the meaning of "enter, confirm". If we allow that this becomes a direct destination, this will screw a lot of stuff up; and I believe that this would make it confusing the the caller...

I don't see why a user wants to press "enter"... When I call to a company and the prompt for an extension, the delay of 1 or 2 seconds is the "enter" key...

One SIP hoster has got a PBX running which allows me to just assign # and * and also uses a delay for dialing an extension, btw I want the AA only to follow the keys set, not to allow it to dial extensions by entering an extension number or dial by name, but this seems not 100% possible.

I don't see why a user wants to press "enter"... When I call to a company and the prompt for an extension, the delay of 1 or 2 seconds is the "enter" key...

One SIP hoster has got a PBX running which allows me to just assign # and * and also uses a delay for dialing an extension, btw I want the AA only to follow the keys set, not to allow it to dial extensions by entering an extension number or dial by name, but this seems not 100% possible.

Everyone does it differently. There is no standard. Some even use * to enter or terminate information.

I think it is a good idea to use one key (e.g. #) consistently in all dialogues as the "terminate", "enter", "execute" key and another one (e.g. *) as the "clear", "correction", "cancel" key. That is what pbxnsip tries to do.