4.0 Beta

YMSL

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at the new receptionist call attendent in v4 beta.

Wow. This is going the right direction! Zero install is quite impressive if you can get a nice UI. so far UI looks good what i can see.

some questions

#1- the "more/less" hotlinks seem to do nothing?

#2-what is the softphone area? if this is a builtin softphone- wow once again. How do i use it?

#3-how do i get a conference call to show in that area? I dial 71 and it doesn't show...

matt

I'm looking at the new receptionist call attendent in v4 beta.

Wow. This is going the right direction! Zero install is quite impressive if you can get a nice UI. so far UI looks good what i can see.

some questions

#1- the "more/less" hotlinks seem to do nothing?

#2-what is the softphone area? if this is a builtin softphone- wow once again. How do i use it?

#3-how do i get a conference call to show in that area? I dial 71 and it doesn't show...

matt

where do you see this new receptionist call attendent.

• 4 weeks later...

cool cannot wait.

my wishlist for 4

- switch to launchd instead of the deprecated StartupScripts.

i already use this since day one:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.pbxnsip.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Disabled</key>

<false/>

<key>StandardOutPath</key>

<string>/Library/Logs/Pbxnsip.log</string>

<key>StandardErrorPath</key>

<string>/Library/Logs/Pbxnsip-error.log</string>

<key>Label</key>

<string>com.pbxnsip</string>

<key>ProgramArguments</key>

<array>

<string>/Library/Pbxnsip/pbxctrl-darwin9.0-3.4.0.3201</string>

<string>--no-daemon</string>

</array>

<key>RunAtLoad</key>

<true/>

<key>UserName</key>

<string>root</string>

<key>OnDemand</key>

<true/>

<key>WorkingDirectory</key>

<string>/Library/Pbxnsip</string>

</dict>

</plist>

to start it:

launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.pbxnsip.plist

to stop it:

launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.pbxnsip.plist

- pbx home dir should be in /Library/Pbxnsip

- the pac should be a dashboard widget

- simple iphone webapp to dial numbers like iphone.jajah.com

Current build 4.0.1.3446 still not woring properlly with DTMF detections.

Outboud and in bound calls are not detecting DTMF with Mediatrix 1204.

Exacte same coniguration is working fine with version 3 of pbxnsip

There was mention that version 4 would have a simplified way of specifying the public IP if the PBX if behind a firewall/NAT. The latest release looks the same as version 3. It would be much nicer to have a single simple field where one could put in the public IP and have the software figure everything else out from what it knows. Other PBX software works this way and the difference is 10 seconds to put in the public IP vs 2 hours to guess until you get the substitution and IP routing lists correct. The documentation is not very good and the examples are inconsistent in the ver 4 admin manual. If you put in local/public like it says that doesn't work at all. To make matters worse the fields are too small and you can't see the entire entry.

I have tested the simultaneous ring of a mobile phone and it works for intercom calls and outside calls via a hunt group. The status shows as alerting rather than connected after the call is answered by the mobile though. This is also the case if the call is answered with the extension. I tested both with a Callcentric trunk and using an extension from version 3 software as a trunk.

• 2 weeks later...
There was mention that version 4 would have a simplified way of specifying the public IP if the PBX if behind a firewall/NAT. The latest release looks the same as version 3. It would be much nicer to have a single simple field where one could put in the public IP and have the software figure everything else out from what it knows. Other PBX software works this way and the difference is 10 seconds to put in the public IP vs 2 hours to guess until you get the substitution and IP routing lists correct. The documentation is not very good and the examples are inconsistent in the ver 4 admin manual. If you put in local/public like it says that doesn't work at all. To make matters worse the fields are too small and you can't see the entire entry.

There are other products that use STUN to allocate a public IP address automatically. Good luck with that... We had STUN in the first version and it was simply a cash cow for support calls. A PBX is a server and it must run on routable IP addresses. All kinds of workaround just create a lot of work and a lot of grief, especially when it turns out things are not 100 % stable.

However, I agree we should have more documentation about this. Use cases and templates on how a PBX can be installed in an office enviroment and the pro/cons of not having a routable address for the service.

Has anyone ever had the "Remember login information" checkbox ever work for them in any version of pbxnsip? I've used IE, FireFox, Chrome, and Safari and never seen it work even though cookies are enabled on all of them.

Also, I noticed in the 4.0 beta that I sometimes have to login twice to get in (but no error about bad password).

I'd like to see help built into each version rather than put on pbxnsip's servers. The problem is that the pbxnsip hosted help has to be version independent and the screenshots are always off. Instead, I recommend using a Web 2.0 effect that looks like a dialog that would appear within the page with the help for fields on that page. It could be section by section since each has a ? button. This would be more elegant than opening a new window.

Other issues:

• In the pbx.xml, the <email_pass> is unencrypted.
  • The polycom_sip.xml and polycom_phone.xml files that are generated by pbxnsip are not up to date. The latest versions can be downloaded from
    http://downloads.polycom.com/voice/voip/sp...release_sig.zip
    http://downloads.polycom.com/voice/voip/sp...e_sig_split.zip
    and are named phone1.cfg and sip.cfg respectively.
  • Would like to have the phone and sip template files that are generated by pbxnsip in a folder called /templates rather than hard-coded into the program. If you guys change parameter names from version to version, it breaks any modified files that may have been placed in /html.
  • When I go to the online help, it appears as though some resources are SSL and others not so I get a security warning from IE saying "Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely?". Using all relative URLs will solve that issue. I see that I can fix it in pbx.xml by changing "https" to "http" in <app_help>.
  • Online help - I would recommend expanding all acronyms in the help area. There's an assumption that users know what PSTN, ACD, CMC, CID, IVR, ANI, CDR, etc. mean. While many advanced users will know some, it's unlikely that they know all of them.

I also noticed that each extension's passwords and PINs are unencrypted in the XML files in the /extensions folder.

the pbx files should be secured by the o/s. In other words, if you have access to the console of the machine, then you probably should be able to see that? don't you agree?

Matt

the pbx files should be secured by the o/s. In other words, if you have access to the console of the machine, then you probably should be able to see that? don't you agree?

Matt

While I agree that the files should be secured by the OS file system, I think pbxnsip needs to store password hashes instead of the passwords. The problem is that most users like to reuse passwords so they don't have to remember a large list of logins. As a result, a system administrator may be able to see a password that could gain them access to something like an accounting system (where they're not the administrator). It's just not a best practice from an IT perspective.

i wasn't going to mention it--but i agree that the security message in IE when getting help would be good to fix.

Matt

Editing pbx.xml and removing the "s" in "https" for the help URL fixed my issue but hopefully pbxnsip will address this for the next beta.

Yes, you stay away from trouble. IMHO 32 is still mainstream, not only for pbxnsip.

While small companies are still mostly 32-bit, enterprises are predominantly running 64-bit operating systems. In fact, Windows Server 2008 R2 doesn't have a 32-bit version. While I recognize that there's not going to be a major advantage for pbxnsip to be 64-bit native, I think that it's important to move in that direction and to do lots of testing on 64-bit Windows Servers. My company is relatively small and out of our 60 servers, not one is 32-bit.

-Nate

• 1 month later...
cool cannot wait.

my wishlist for 4

- switch to launchd instead of the deprecated StartupScripts.

i already use this since day one:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.pbxnsip.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Disabled</key>

<false/>

<key>StandardOutPath</key>

<string>/Library/Logs/Pbxnsip.log</string>

<key>StandardErrorPath</key>

<string>/Library/Logs/Pbxnsip-error.log</string>

<key>Label</key>

<string>com.pbxnsip</string>

<key>ProgramArguments</key>

<array>

<string>/Library/Pbxnsip/pbxctrl-darwin9.0-3.4.0.3201</string>

<string>--no-daemon</string>

</array>

<key>RunAtLoad</key>

<true/>

<key>UserName</key>

<string>root</string>

<key>OnDemand</key>

<true/>

<key>WorkingDirectory</key>

<string>/Library/Pbxnsip</string>

</dict>

</plist>

to start it:

launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.pbxnsip.plist

to stop it:

launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.pbxnsip.plist

- pbx home dir should be in /Library/Pbxnsip

- the pac should be a dashboard widget

- simple iphone webapp to dial numbers like iphone.jajah.com

Well, first thing first :(

We finally have a v4 binary for the Mac OS. http://www.pbxnsip.com/download/pbxctrl-darwin9.0-4.0.1.3499

Note that this is just a binary. If you have the previous version installed, you can just –

1. Copy this binary to wherever it was previously installed

2. perform a “chmod a+x pbxctrl-darwin9.0-4.0.1.3499”.

3. Then restart the PBX service

This is built based on the latest & greatest, includes few changes to the accounts page (enable, disable features, provision to see the mac address, cell phone email address on the accounts page etc). Any feedback is welcome.

The installer will come out soon.