plugComputer - does it have dhcp server like cs410?

mattlandis

Those familiar with the plugcomptuer version of pbxnsip.

Does it have the dhcp server like cs410?

Well, this is a standard Linux distribution. You can run dhcpd there like on any other Linux distribution.

We even compiled the toolchain natively on the system. No cross compilation! That was very cool. You feel like home if you know Debian.

The gotcha is it is an embedded system. When the memory is full, that's it. Also I think we had the wrong file system in the beginning (jffs2), it went completely belly up and we had to move on to the next device. Fortunately, they don't break the bank!

The form factor is also debatable. Make sure the cleaning personnel does not mistake it as an abandoned power brick and plugs it out in the morning. We are a little bit afraid people might think that "affordable" hardware means that the software running there is cheap trash. Most people feel more comfortable with 19" racks that make a lot of noise.

So maybe we should get an empty 19" box, put one of these devices inside plus a speaker that produces the noise patterns and sell it for 3000 bucks. I want to see their face when they open the 19" up!

Well, this is a standard Linux distribution. You can run dhcpd there like on any other Linux distribution.

We even compiled the toolchain natively on the system. No cross compilation! That was very cool. You feel like home if you know Debian.

The gotcha is it is an embedded system. When the memory is full, that's it. Also I think we had the wrong file system in the beginning (jffs2), it went completely belly up and we had to move on to the next device. Fortunately, they don't break the bank!

The form factor is also debatable. Make sure the cleaning personnel does not mistake it as an abandoned power brick and plugs it out in the morning. We are a little bit afraid people might think that "affordable" hardware means that the software running there is cheap trash. Most people feel more comfortable with 19" racks that make a lot of noise.

So maybe we should get an empty 19" box, put one of these devices inside plus a speaker that produces the noise patterns and sell it for 3000 bucks. I want to see their face when they open the 19" up!

chuckle on comment on the loud, 19" rack...We just had a barracuda web filter in here---ROURRRRRRR-WHRRRRRRRR

Incidentally they now make a 19" phone appliance which i'm sure rhourrs too.

I get what you say about the form factor 100%.

I agree that a small 19" thing would be great. (set on a shelf or mount in a rack equally would be best)

I also agree that the cleaning person could easily unplug! I would probably intentionally put it in a plug on the rack or data shelf.

Matt

chuckle on comment on the loud, 19" rack...We just had a barracuda web filter in here---ROURRRRRRR-WHRRRRRRRR

Now you know why they are so successful! They did their marketing homework. IT decision makers can be like children. Sound is very important, especially in the lower frequencies (when the decision makers get old).

Maybe try to open the box! Check if you find the speaker!!!