Is Timeout Handling working in V 2.1.0.2115?

andy

Well the topic description says ist all: I have set the auto attendant to call an internal (and working) REDIRECT NUMBER after a TIMEOUT(S) of xx seconds, but redirection is not happening. The HANGUP TIMEOUT is working fine.

Could this be an undiscovered bug? I don't see a possibility for a faulty setup. The option are quite simple and straightforeward.

Well the topic description says ist all: I have set the auto attendant to call an internal (and working) REDIRECT NUMBER after a TIMEOUT(S) of xx seconds, but redirection is not happening. The HANGUP TIMEOUT is working fine.

Could this be an undiscovered bug? I don't see a possibility for a faulty setup. The option are quite simple and straightforeward.

No reply so far, so I did some additional testing on this matter.

It seems that REDIRECT NUMBER after TIMEOUT(S) is working fine by using the standard announcement or a short personal message. That's why no one else seems to have a problem. However, it takes my system TIMEOUT(S) + ca. 4 seconds to trigger a call to the REDIRECT NUMBER, once there is a standard announcement or a short personal message.

The announcement I am having trouble with is 48 seconds long (telling extension numbers to the calling party). With this kind of announcement the very same REDIRECT NUMBER that is beeing called in the setup mentioned above, will not be called anymore. It did not test how long an announcement could possibly be until the problem occurs.

Possibly the REDIRECT NUMBER/TIMEOUT(S) setup, cannot handle long announcements. Any comment of a PBXNSIP technician regarding this matter?

Okay, let me try to understand: You are calling the AA, punch in the number of the extension and then the pbx starts the timer and starts saying "calling extension this-is-a-very-long-name-please-wait-a-while"?

If that is the case, would it be a workaround to set up a specific redirection time for that account?

Okay, let me try to understand: You are calling the AA, punch in the number of the extension and then the pbx starts the timer and starts saying "calling extension this-is-a-very-long-name-please-wait-a-while"?

If that is the case, would it be a workaround to set up a specific redirection time for that account?

No, that's not what's happening. I set the redirection time already to cover the case, that there is no input from the caller.

But redirection is not working if there is a long announcement. It's only working with a short announcement.

However I did not have the time yet to test how long an announcement could possibly be for redirection to work.

Well, no mystery at all. I did some additional testing and finally realized why my setup was not working.

- The HANGUP TIMEOUT starts counting once the auto attendant picks up the call / there is a delay of +4 seconds towards the set number of seconds.

- The REDIRECT NUMBER/TIMEOUT does not start counting until a personal welcome message has been played.

The latter caused me to set bad timeout values, because I set my counting to start with the auto attendant's pickup.

> Solution:

- Standard announcement only: REDIRECT/TIMEOUT will be triggered after the set value.

- Personal announcement: REDIRECT/TIMEOUT will not be triggered during the personal announcement. This timeout will only be triggered after the personal announcement, once the standard recordings picks up ("..pls enter your parties extension..").

> Suggestion:

This behaviour makes sense in a standard environment. In our setup the personal announcement was repeated three times (one long soundfile), so callers could listen to the announcement of our extensions multiple times. Therefore the pbx was never able to redirect automatically, because the standard announcement did not come up. I would like to suggest to make the REDIRECT TIMEOUT independent of the announcement types and programming of the auto attendant would be more flexible.

Okay, now I got you.

Actually, there was a discussion about this more than a year ago - this behavior is supposed to be a feature! The point is that it is hard to say how long a recording is (especially when it is changed by the secretary) and the redirect should not kick in during the annoucement. Therefore the decision was to redirect after the annoucement is over.

In your case that might a problem, as you repeat the annoucement several times. But IMHO it is still reasonable to say if the caller did not do anything during these three annoucements that you redirect him after a relatively short time to a operator, for example after 0 seconds.

Okay, now I got you.

Actually, there was a discussion about this more than a year ago - this behavior is supposed to be a feature! The point is that it is hard to say how long a recording is (especially when it is changed by the secretary) and the redirect should not kick in during the annoucement. Therefore the decision was to redirect after the annoucement is over.

In your case that might a problem, as you repeat the annoucement several times. But IMHO it is still reasonable to say if the caller did not do anything during these three annoucements that you redirect him after a relatively short time to a operator, for example after 0 seconds.

Your are right. That makes perfect sense. I am happy with the suggested solution

Maybe you should make this more clear in the wiki. Just add one sentence about these issues and everyone will know what's going on.