Dialing extensions / real numbers

bruce

I'm guessing this probably has a simple answer but I can't seem to make it work.

We have extensions numbered 10000 - 10020. Where/how exactly to I set it up so it recognizes when I'm dialing an extension and when I'm dialing a real number. If i try to dial a local number starting with say a 2 for us, it thinks its an extension. So we end up having to dial the full 1+area code to make the number work.

If i'm missing a best practices for extension setup sorry for that. This seems to be the last little hurdle we have to make work before our rollout.

Thanks

Bruce

In general, extensions should have between 1 and 5 digits. When translating numbers, the PBX translates numbers with at least 6 digits into the global format, but leaves numbers with max 5 digits untouched.

Before running calls through the dial plan, the PBX checks if there is a account with exactly the same number. Only if there is no match (and there is no exception regarding emergency numbers) the call runs through teh dial plan.

Ok that makes sense. What makes it stop letting me dial after 2 numbers then. IE lets say I want to dial 268-xxxx. Immediatly after the 26 it stops accepting input. I can't seem to make this go away, I assumed it has to do with extensions. Am I correct in this or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks

Bruce

You probably provisioned a "dial plan" on the phone (notice the name clash with the dial plan on the PBX). That tells the phone to accept either 1xxxxxxxxxx or [2-8]x as complete numbers. The PBX provisions this dial plan when you select this in the domain PnP settings.

The alternative to this is to let the user hit the enter key instead, and then they can dial without the leading 1. The number of key presses is the same and this is like the dialling process on a cell phone. I would prefer this kind of the dialling, but some customers prefer the 1xxx... way.