Polycom 2.2.0 PBXnSIP Config Files

phsean

I'd like to upgrade our Polycoms from Sip version 2.1.0.2708 to 2.2.0, so I downloaded 2.2.0 from the Polycom site (http://downloads.polycom.com/voice/voip/sp_ss_sip/spip_ssip_2_2_0_release_sig.zip).

I remember seeing (http://forum.pbxnsip.com/index.php?showtopic=340&hl=polycom&st=20) that internal testing for the Polycoms has been using 2.2.0 and that there weren't any noticeable problems even though it's not "officially" certified.

What would be very helpful is the PBXnSIP customized versions of the config files for 2.2.0. The files given to us by our good friends at Pulsewan for version 2.1.0 were polycom_adrbook.xml, polycom_master.xml, polycom_phone.xml, and polycom_sip.xml. Is there any way to have the 2.2.0 versions posted here? Or could I get them some other way?

Thanks,

Sean

Not sure if it matters, but our bootrom version is 3.2.2.0019. I can't find the 4.0.0 download from Polycom's site, but if I don't need it to do the SIP update, then I'm not going to worry about it anyway.

PBXnSIP 2.1 comes with everything you need to provision the phones automatically - I've just done 50...

All I've done is drop the 2.2 SIP app and version file in the tftp folder and make sure the phones are set to TFTP in the server options (and obviously set the TFTP option in DHCP).

Not sure if we can do it thataway and get it working 100%...

We have a few config options that we've customized to our setup using those config files, like dialplan.digitmap, voice.volume.persist.x, and a handful of others.

Unless I'm mistaken, we'll need the config files to keep those options.

(I'm very glad to hear that you have 50 2.2 Polycoms successfully running. :) )

If you have a look through the RC versions of 2.1 (the one with the full installer) - I'm pretty sure all the config files were in the html folder. If it's still up, try downloading that one and installing it on a spare box.

The polycoms are provisioned, they get put on desks to today, and the switchover from their old PBX is on Friday night. This will be our biggest (and most complex) deployment so far.... Fingers crossed!!!

You definitely want the files from the 2.2 SIP firmware, then modify them to match the PBXnSIP ones (there's not too much) as the files with PBXnSIP didn't seem to work very well with 2.2 for me. In particular after provisioning, they wouldn't register after a reboot (kinda bad) and the screen display on the 550's wasn't quite right. Using the files in the polycom firmware fixed both these issues.

I've also had a problem where on a 330, the first entry on the addressbook would set itself to the second line. No idea why - as a fix I've just disabled the directory option in the polycom_sip.xml file! As they don't need the directory, it's no biggie.

We'll see what happens on monday when they actually start using the phones... :o

I had the same non-registering problem with the phone that I tried last week but I wasn't able to look too much into it because of a separate software bug I was stuck chasing down. Would've warned you but I thought you were past that point, I must've misunderstood! (sorry)

I was using Winmerge to compare the beta build config files to the Polycom 2.2 config files last week, and there are definitely some differences. The most important ones though seem to be the {variable names} so that PBXnSIP can populate the port numbers, etc. from the web interface.

It'd be nice to hear from PBXnSIP which of the other changes in the config files between the files from the beta build and the files from Polycom's firmware download were customized to improve PBXnSIP's behavior and which were changes made by Polycom. If all of those changes between config file versions were made on Polycom's side, then we should only need to insert the {variables}.

PBXnSIP said they were testing using the 2.2 firmware -- since both you and I had trouble with the PBXnSIP config files, it could be possible that they were using different Polycom config files than were included in that beta build. Those beta build config files are 100% identical to the ones that we had previously received for firmware 2.1.

It's also worth noting I had to change the registration timeout on the polycoms in the config to a very low 30 seconds - left at the defaults the registrations would expire on the PBX and the calls would go to VM (the phone thought it was still registered). Then it would re-register and the phone would start taking calls again. Not sure what the underlying issue is, but that's how I solved it. I don't think we had any other polycom related issues with the install, and it's running fine now, aside from one or two issues.

We've had a very very weird issue with a customer with Polycom 330s using 2.2.0. They boot fine, download the config from PBXnSIP and generally work without any issues whatsoever.

Then... We had an issue where maybe 6 out of the 12 phones froze, they were completely unresponsive and needed a hard reset to kick them back into life. We thought nothing of it, we powered down the PoE switch and they came back up with no issues. 24 hours later, the same thing happens again - this time, all 12 x 330s completely hung. We're in the process of swapping them out rapidly with Snom 360s until we can work out what is going on.

• 4 weeks later...

We're starting to get a higher frequency of varying complaints from users with performance issues, etc. Just wanted to check and see if there was any news on the status of the 2.2 SIP Application Polycom config files? I'd like to be current before we go chasing down performance-enhancing bugs (not to be confused with performance-enhancing drugs). Thanks...

What kind of performance? CPU performance? On the phones or on the server?

Seems like latency issues between the phones and the server. For example, they tell me that they'll pick up a handset on a ringing phone and it will continue to ring for a few seconds before the caller is connected.

We have two locations about 200 feet apart connected using a wireless bridge using the same PBXnSIP server. Most of the complaints are indeed coming from the folks across the wireless bridge, but the ping times are consistently great - 1 and 2 ms, even under load. We currently have a call into them to make sure that the bridge is setup optimally.

Seems like latency issues between the phones and the server. For example, they tell me that they'll pick up a handset on a ringing phone and it will continue to ring for a few seconds before the caller is connected.

We have two locations about 200 feet apart connected using a wireless bridge using the same PBXnSIP server. Most of the complaints are indeed coming from the folks across the wireless bridge, but the ping times are consistently great - 1 and 2 ms, even under load. We currently have a call into them to make sure that the bridge is setup optimally.

Can you directly correlate the upgraded 2.2 versions to the issues you are experiencing? Does the user experience the same issue on a phone with an older version of SW? 2.1 or 2.0 perhaps?

It is this vital field testing that will help multiple others in similar scenarios.

Please Let me know the outcome of this testing - As we are preparing to roll this version (2.2) out to the field in Q1 08