MOS Score

Steve B

Hi,

I have one PBX with 10 extensions, all snom 320s with 8.4.31 installed, that has been showing me a MOS graph with all the trunks great but a few spots on the extensions around 2.5. See the attached image. Does this mean that I have an extension acting up or some heavy LAN traffic? The PBX and Phones are on the same LAN. There is a POTS adapter involved, which is the only interface to the outside world, it is also on the same LAN. The PBX version is .4025 running on Ubuntu. Any help or a direction to look in would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

mos.bmp

Hi,

I have one PBX with 10 extensions, all snom 320s with 8.4.31 installed, that has been showing me a MOS graph with all the trunks great but a few spots on the extensions around 2.5. See the attached image. Does this mean that I have an extension acting up or some heavy LAN traffic? The PBX and Phones are on the same LAN. There is a POTS adapter involved, which is the only interface to the outside world, it is also on the same LAN. The PBX version is .4025 running on Ubuntu. Any help or a direction to look in would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

I bet that is from users using their snom 320's in speakerphone mode....it's easy to test....make a 5 minute speaker phone call to a friend and talk for 5 minutes but do this after hours so you know the call in the graph was your speaker phone call.

I bet that is from users using their snom 320's in speakerphone mode....it's easy to test....make a 5 minute speaker phone call to a friend and talk for 5 minutes but do this after hours so you know the call in the graph was your speaker phone call.

Does this only happen on the 3xx series? Our MOS graph is looking very similar, sometimes even more worse and I never figured out what causes the system to behave like that on an internal Cat6 Gbit LAN with 870 devices...

Really looking forward to the day when Snom changes the graphs to something like jqPlot which will allow to chose a datapoint from the graph and it will display the relevant data of....*dreams*... B)

EDIT: See attachement.

post-8297-0-18526000-1317849115_thumb.png

Does this only happen on the 3xx series? Our MOS graph is looking very similar, sometimes even more worse and I never figured out what causes the system to behave like that on an internal Cat6 Gbit LAN with 870 devices...

Really looking forward to the day when Snom changes the graphs to something like jqPlot which will allow to chose a datapoint from the graph and it will display the relevant data of....*dreams*... B)

EDIT: See attachement.

It happens to all VoIP phones when your in speaker phone mode. We also have a mix of phones - snom 320, 370, 821 and 870's and ata's like spa2102's.

There is nothing wrong with your system - it's just speaker phone calls. It took me awhile to figure this out.

From what I've seen ver 5 will have a MOS graph for each extension - in the account under the registration tab a MOS graph will be at the bottom. This will be great for when customers complain about call quality you can then look at the graph for their extension. I also think their will be a MOS graph on the trunk account.

I attached a pic of my MOS graph - we are a VoIP hosting provider so we use G729 - that is why you see the line around 3.5....G711 the line is around 4.1 in the graph. We support G711 to avoid transcoding so you will see a few calls at the 4.1 mark. The lower marks are speaker phone calls.

We do both business and residential....on the weekends for the graphs you never see the calls go below the 3.5 mark because my residential customers don't have voip speaker phones - only spa2102 ata's.

Hope this helps clear this up for you.

The MOS is really only about the network performance, it does not matter if the users are talking nonsense or not. You also have to see it statistically. Especially short calls can have a high uncertanty regarding the quality, and then you have such blips on the radar. The last picture has a lot of low-quality calls, and that would concern me.

The next version will have those graphs also per extension and per trunk, so it is easier to find the root of the problem.

...here's a pic of my graph from Sunday nights email report - you can see the difference because no speaker phone calls. That graph represents about 900 calls for Sunday.

That looks pretty okay to me. The calls with MOS 1 probably just means there was a device that does not support RTCP properly or at all.